Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reuters relays rumors from a South Korean newspaper which revives claims of a larger screen on the next iPhone.
Apple has decided on the bigger 4.6-inch display for its next iPhone and started placing orders to its suppliers, the Maeil Business Newspaper said, quoting an unnamed industry source.
A 4.6-inch screen, however, would be significantly larger than that has been previously rumored. There have been persistent rumors that the next generation iPhone would carry a larger 4" screen. And we are convinced that Apple had exactly such designs in late prototype stages in China. The proliferation of iPhone cases with measurements of at least a 4" screen seemed to suggest that a number of suppliers were also convinced of that fact.

A 4.6" screen, however, is even harder to believe, and would place the new iPhone amongst the largest screen sizes available on a smartphone. Here's a comparison shot between the 4.65" screen of the Galaxy Nexus and the iPhone 4S which has a 3.5" screen.

galaxy-nexus-iphone-4s901v_verge_medium_landscape-500x331.jpg

TheVerge comparison between Galaxy Nexus (4.65") and iPhone 4S (3.5")​
Apple has been consistent by offering the same screen size (3.5") across five generations of iPhones, so any change would be notable. The reason this particular claim seems most dubious, however, is the fact that it comes from an otherwise unknown Korean media source with no track record.

Still, it's hard to dismiss the talk of a larger 4" iPhone screen completely. Back in November, iLounge first reported that the 3rd Generation iPad would be "approximately 0.7 mm" thicker than the iPad 2. As it turns out, they were on the mark with the actual new iPad being 0.6 mm thicker (per official specs) than the previous design. The same source that provided that information had this to say about the next generation iPhone:
Our source says that the next-generation iPhone will not look like the teardrop-shaped version that was widely rumored for release in 2011. We've been told that the device will have a 4-inch display and will be 8mm longer than before, with a metal casing (probably aluminum). It is on track to be introduced in summer of 2012, and is still in the engineering phase, not early production. We suspect that poor battery life doomed the prior prototype version, and that this one is being built with LTE-ready battery drain in mind.

Article Link: Questionable Claims of a 4.6" Screen on Next iPhone, But 4" Screen Still Seems Very Possible

Lalror

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Honestly, I am waiting for a bigger screen before a buy another iPhone or iPod touch. The screens are just too small, its a problem, fix it.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I would like to see the screen size stay the same but make better use of the UI. There are a lot of wasted space that could be hidden only when needed.

gestures really need to come into play. swipe for navigation in safari etc.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
At one point, you are going to cross the phone category, and enter the small tablet category. To be honest, a 3.5" display is perfect. Anything larger looks too big imo.

Sam Yikin

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Somewhat off topic, but it would be fascinating to get my hands on a prototype of the teardrop shape.
I hope they get the battery figured out for the next iPhone.

I'd need to try a 4+" iPhone before I make a decision on whether I like it. Can anyone calculate what the PPI would be on a 4" display assuming the same resolution?

sirpots

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Nebraska
Hypothetically speaking I wonder what the resolution of the 4.6'' would be? Could apple have something up there sleeve and release a screen that small with the new iPad resolution?

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
This is a funny rumour.

The biggest screen on a smart phone? Unless Apple has a change of strategy I can't see it.

Plus they would need to make a Iphone mini as millions of people don't want a phone with a screen 9 inches wider. :rolleyes:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
4" would be nice. I don't need the device to be too big, but I think going larger than 3.5" would keep the device more competitive.

budakpisang

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
Principle

Big screens are a matter of preference, but Apple isn't particularly inclined to catering for everyone's preferences.

The 3.5" screen is really a matter of principle to them - it's the size they've decided a smartphone should be, and the size they've designed their UI to fit into (just like the iPad being the size they've decided a tablet should be) and we'll probably never see a device they put out that changes that anytime soon without a really good reason.

IMPOSSIBLEMAN

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
I have owned a galaxy nexus. I could not use for more than a month.

Its 4.65'' screen was too big for me even though I enjoyed it the first week

I think anything from 3.5 to 4.3 is acceptable. NOT ANY INCH BIGGER

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I am fine with there being a larger phone as an option, however the footprint of the current model, with it's hi resolution display is perfect for my needs. Giving iPhone customers the choice for multiple sizes would be a good move IMO.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'd love a bigger screen but not at the expense of a bigger phone. It needs to easily fit in my jean or pants pocket, which the current iPhone does. I can't wait to see what Apple dreams up.

Last edited:

Sam Yikin

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Hypothetically speaking I wonder what the resolution of the 4.6'' would be? Could apple have something up there sleeve and release a screen that small with the new iPad resolution?

A 4.6" 2048x1536 screen? Dear god.

I'm 100% sure that whatever the screen size may be they'll keep the resolution the same. Making it an iPad resolution wouldn't make sense, because then the line between iPad and iPhone apps would be pretty blurry... especially because their aspect ratios are so different.

TheJuggla17

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010
Primos, PA
I don't understand why anyone would want a five inch device with them everyday. I always thought people wanted small compact devices?

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
Just a idea... the current iphone glass is just about 4.7in. So why not keep the same phone size and go edge to edge with the screen. Or go very close to the top and bottom edges.

Apple could then :p at other HUGE phones while the iPhone is a nice size with the largest screen.

Just an idea.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I believe this when I see it

EDIT: But I don't wanna believe this though. 4" is as far as I'm willing to go.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.