Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:34 PM   #26
Wrathwitch
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupertinoRat View Post
First the thing overheats then it won't charge properly and now smart covers don't work.

This wouldn't be happening under Steve's watch.
O'RLY???

You are holding it wrong.

nuff said
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:37 PM   #27
G5isAlive
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
I bought a Smart Cover with my new iPad, but I returned it. It woke my iPad just fine. But I assumed the cover would magnetically attach to the back when it was open. Instead it just sort of flopped around, which made the iPad hard for me to hold. The Smart Cover certainly was sleek, but I didn't find it that functional.
Actually the cover is designed to fold upon itself like a triangle and makes a very convenient hand hold for me. I never noticed my new iPad was getting warm in fact until I read about it here.

----------

Quote:
My friend dropped his iPad 2 and iPad 3 on pavement and guess what? iPad 2 not a damn scratch but the 3 shattered. Take what you will out of it.
your friend is clumsy and is careless with his iPads? Hope he had the applecare.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:37 PM   #28
Wrathwitch
macrumors 65816

Quote:
My friend dropped his iPad 2 and iPad 3 on pavement and guess what? iPad 2 not a damn scratch but the 3 shattered. Take what you will out of it.
wtf does this have to do with a smart cover? It just sounds like your friend is an idiot or has way too much money to burn. He can send some of it to me!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:38 PM   #29
G5isAlive
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastercub View Post
I got a smart cover when they first went on sale for the iPad 2, works fine on my New iPad and even my housemates non-apple smart cover works too..

Why do some work and some don't ?
Same experience. Bought the black leather one on opening day of the iPad 2 (a year ago) and it works fine with my new iPad. Shrugs. Weird. Since its a polarity issue perhaps the way the magnets were placed during manufacturing is why some work and some do not. My guess is now they only orient them in one way, in the past did not pay attention. Which would result in a 50/50 chance of not having a problem (or of having a problem depending on if you are a pessimist)
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:44 PM   #30
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

For those asking why some work and some don't:

The original iPads didn't have a polarity sensing magnetic switch. So it didn't matter if the magnetic field was N-S or S-N. As a result it didn't matter what direction the magnet was built into the case.

Now with the new sensors the magnet can only be oriented in one direction for the cover to work properly. In the older covers it was random which way the magnet was oriented - kind of like flipping a coin. Sometimes it will be N-S and the rest of the time it will be S-N.

This also means that any new covers will also work with all iPads using the older sensor.
Laird Knox is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:48 PM   #31
Ashyukun
macrumors 6502

I've not noticed any problems with the smart cover that I bought on iPad 2 launch day last year with my new iPad. I've noticed it get warm, but primarily when I had it sitting on the passenger seat for an 11-hour drive in the sun while running the GPS- and every iPhone I've owned has had the exact same issue (as well as pretty much everything in existence that sits out in the sun for a while...).

Frankly, I have a bigger complaint with Apple and calling it the 'new iPad' and something less confusing like 'iPad 3' or 'iPad HD'...
Ashyukun is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:48 PM   #32
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Knox View Post
For those asking why some work and some don't:

The original iPads didn't have a polarity sensing magnetic switch. So it didn't matter if the magnetic field was N-S or S-N. As a result it didn't matter what direction the magnet was built into the case.

Now with the new sensors the magnet can only be oriented in one direction for the cover to work properly. In the older covers it was random which way the magnet was oriented - kind of like flipping a coin. Sometimes it will be N-S and the rest of the time it will be S-N.

This also means that any new covers will also work with all iPads using the older sensor.
That's interesting. Why would they introduce the polarity sensing? Is there some new functionality with the Smart Cover in the new iPad?

Otherwise, it's just case of "Let's introduce a component which arbitrarily stops ~50% of existing smart covers from working".
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:50 PM   #33
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooleytoo View Post
That's interesting. Why would they introduce the polarity sensing? Is there some new functionality with the Smart Cover in the new iPad?

Otherwise, it's just case of "Let's introduce a component which arbitrarily stops ~50% of existing smart covers from working".
Read the original article - some iPads would turn off when the cover was flipped around to the other side (opened). It was to solve an existing problem.
Laird Knox is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:51 PM   #34
onomike
macrumors newbie

Quote:
In the older covers it was random which way the magnet was oriented - kind of like flipping a coin. Sometimes it will be N-S and the rest of the time it will be S-N.
Thank you! This makes perfect sense. Often times the simplest answer is the best answer.
onomike is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:57 PM   #35
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Knox View Post
Read the original article - some iPads would turn off when the cover was flipped around to the other side (opened). It was to solve an existing problem.
Ah, sorry. Serves me right for skipping past the article onto the responses.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:05 PM   #36
scott911
macrumors 6502

Quote:
please tell your clumsily friend to report back next year when he or she drops their iPad 4.
scott911 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:10 PM   #37
Bryan55
macrumors member

Blanking magnets, how do they work???
Bryan55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:10 PM   #38
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
First the thing overheats then it won't charge properly and now smart covers don't work.

He'd only tell you to hold it in a different way

Edit: beaten to it by many lol
Jibbajabba is online now   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:11 PM   #39
farmboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicecom View Post
Mine doesn't even get warm unless I crank the backlight, which I never have a need to do, it charges fine and the smart cover from my dad's iPad 2 works fine on it.
Well, clearly you didn't get the memo, because this means the End of the World as We Know It.
farmboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:12 PM   #40
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathwitch View Post
wtf does this have to do with a smart cover? It just sounds like your friend is an idiot or has way too much money to burn. He can send some of it to me!
Isn't his first against iPad 3 post tbh. 'someone' carrying both iPad and dropping them sounds ....... Likely
Jibbajabba is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:25 PM   #41
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Same issue with 3ed party SC.
It was for iP2, for lark tried to fit on iP3, and to get it to switch off had to move the cover 2 to 3 mm up.

Carbon Cover??
PracticalMac is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:45 PM   #42
room237
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What I take out of it is that your friend can't have nice things.
room237 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:49 PM   #43
blizaine
macrumors 6502

weird. I bought a black leather smart cover for my iPad2 when it launched last year and a dark grey one for my iPad3. Both work on the iPad3 perfectly.

edit: Ah... I see that some people are posting that it didn't matter which way the polarity was, so it only affected some.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:50 PM   #44
CupertinoRat
macrumors member

I get flamed. Nice. Allow me to state some facts for you about the iPad 3:

- its bigger
- it's heavier
- it gets hot
- it won't charge
- covers don't work

What next?

Do you really think we would be talking about these issues under Jobs' watch?
CupertinoRat is offline   -13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:56 PM   #45
room237
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I get flamed. Nice. Allow me to state some facts for you about the iPad 3:

- its bigger
- it's heavier
- it gets hot
- it won't charge
- covers don't work

What next?

Do you really think we would be talking about these issues under Jobs' watch?
Such a Negative Nelly you are.

Bigger and heavier? Yes, but barely noticeable. It runs hotter than the iPad 2? Isn't that to be expected? Won't charge? It DOES charge, it just takes longer, and there's a glitch with the battery sensor. OLDER covers don't work. You're not a person who pays attention to detail, are you?

-LTE
-Faster Processor
-Retina Display
-5MP Camera

Were you expecting all of this on an iPad as thin as paper, that charges in an hour, and runs on cold fusion?

Edit:
And didn't we have the "antennagate" under Jobs? What about location logging? Exploding iPhones? People always find issues to complain about, some are valid, some aren't

Last edited by room237; Mar 22, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
room237 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:05 PM   #46
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicecom View Post
Mine doesn't even get warm unless I crank the backlight, which I never have a need to do, it charges fine and the smart cover from my dad's iPad 2 works fine on it.
Same for me, except not my dad's iPad. It's so sad that most people actually believe what they hear, read, and see. They live in a make believe world of non-reality.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:10 PM   #47
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:

Chances are more likely it is Steve Jobs fault for the change than this could of been prevent by him.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:11 PM   #48
Rumple
macrumors member

I bought one of the very first smart covers. Still use it I ordered it like 3 minutes after it was available online. Works perfect with the new iPad.
Rumple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:25 PM   #49
penguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:

did you read the post? It statest that the iPad 3 has a polarity sensitive switch to address a problem that occurred with the iPad 2...this isn't a problem with the current model
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:26 PM   #50
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

if is 100% likely that Apple Smart Covers will be hit and miss until Apple notified the supplier that they had to 100% orient the magnets in a certain way.

The good thing here about Apple is you can bring the nonfunction cover to a store and they will likely replace it (as reported by a number of customers).
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion