Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
I carry several of these for my IT work. The other day, during a torrential downpour here in Oklahoma, one of these dropped from my Waterfield Sleeve case and full into a puddle in my driveway. I didn't notice it til I got home that night. I shook the thing out, threw it in my oven on 165 degrees, and left it in there for about 5 hours. I was taking care of my 3 year old son and forgot all about it until I was locking up for bed. Took the darn thing out, smelled a little cooked, lol.
Today, I brought the adapter into work with me, plugged it in, and it worked without a problem. I will keep an eye on it over several weeks, but I am pretty darn impressed for a 15 buck ethernet adapter.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Off-topic slightly:

Since USB 2.0 is limited to 480mbps, and that theoretical maximum speed is rarely if ever achievable, what's the point of getting a gigabit ethernet adapter?

Otherwise, monoprice is awesome. Love it.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Off-topic slightly:

Since USB 2.0 is limited to 480mbps, and that theoretical maximum speed is rarely if ever achievable, what's the point of getting a gigabit ethernet adapter?

Would think that the point would be pretty obvious. USB2 > 802.11n>100/10, if we are talking about theoretical sustained maximum throughput speeds and there are of course situations where no wireless solution is available.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Apple's USB adapter is only 10/100
Off-topic slightly:

chekk

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
Tangentially, have any of you used Monoprice's Thunderbolt to DVI adapter?

Yep, I have both the dongle (item 5106) and cable (item 5999) versions, and they work great to drive a 1920x1200 external monitor (HP ZR24W).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.