Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The popular 1998 role-playing game Baldur's Gate is seeing a PC remake called Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition by Overhaul Games.

The company has since announced that the new version will also be available for iPad and be available in the summer of 2012.

IGN has already had some hands on time with an early build.
The iPad port will include all the improvements and additions found in the PC version, including full integration of the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack. The title is also running on the refined Baldur's Gate II Infinity Engine, allowing gamers to experience the original adventure with the sequel's refined graphics options and other engine tweaks.
IGN reports that the new version of thegame will feature new content, more quests and a new party member. The early build of the iPad version runs smoothly though the interface has not yet been revamped to be more touch friendly. Those changes are still in the works, though pinch and zoom has already been implemented. The iPad version is expected to launch this summer.

Article Link: 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' Coming to iPad

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
Really exciting. Two years on, and there's still a distinct lack of big, deep RPGs for iPad, even though IMO it's an ideal platform for non-action-oriented RPGs. Avadon is the only one I'm aware of, and it's still small compared to even the first Baldur's Gate.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
This game was excellent!

I hope that new games like this will be released for the iPad too. Turn-based RPG's should effectively avoid annoying interface problems since there's no "rush" anyway.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
I can't wait! I loved playing this game back in the day.

By the way, did anyone else buy a $0.99 copy of Neverwinter Nights 2 from the Mac App Store? Not sure if it's still that cheap, but it was yesterday when I got my copy.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
Hot damn! I hope more PC big games are coming. Now we're reaping the fruits of Apple's decision to include a good GPU.

CoolSpot

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I think there is a large untapped market for slower paced, deeper games on the ipad. Not everyone wants to play Angry Birds all the time.

There are very large catalogs of adventure/rpg/strategy game that would work very nicely.

The ipad also has a native aspect ratio that matches many older computer games.

I hope that this is a success that compells other developers/publishers to rethink their old library of games that are currently doing nothing.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
This will be painful w/o mouse + KB.

I still have no idea why Apple wont natively support mouse input, when every other OS does :(

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I want to see Jagged Alliance ported to the iPad. Turn based strategy games like that would work perfect!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted

Pretty cool, but I'd rather see a Mac version. Hope they're considering it.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

I still have no idea why Apple wont natively support mouse input, when every other OS does :(

Baldur's Gate? I don't think so. I think this will work well on the iPad. All fairly large touch targets, all drag and drop interface.

The game has some good keyboard shortcuts that will be missed, but overall I think it's going to be a natural fit.

BigButa

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
Now this is the kind of news I want to wake up to EVERY day.

A lot of thought will need to go into the controls but... could be awesome.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Really exciting. Two years on, and there's still a distinct lack of big, deep RPGs for iPad, even though IMO it's an ideal platform for non-action-oriented RPGs. Avadon is the only one I'm aware of, and it's still small compared to even the first Baldur's Gate.

I agree. The iPad is the perfect platform for these kinds of RPGs, and there are hardly any. Now a game from 1998 will be the *best* one on the platform - that's a call to arms.

G77

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010

Baldurs gate will be great on touch screen. Ideal candidate for touch interface.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am already seeing the possibilities. Stuff like selecting spells to cast or directing your party members would be so intuitive on a touch interface. :)

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
This will definitely be an Insta-buy.

The model worked fantastically with The Bard's Tale. If you like this type of game, go buy that immediately. It's universal for iPad and iPhone (much better looking on iPad though), and they also implemented iCloud so you can play between the two.

The only native iOS game that's decent in this genre is Aralon: Sword and Scorcery, and that's a big of a buggy hot mess. Still worth buying as well, though.

G77

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Also I would love original Fallout and Fallout 2 as iPad games. With retina graphics hmmm..... they can sell millions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.