Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

samsung.jpg

Reuters profiles Samsung Electronics and their design process in the setting of Apple's ongoing legal battle accusing Samsung of "slavishly copying" Apple's products.

Samsung Mobile's vice president for design Lee Minhyouk takes Apple's charges personally and denies the allegations:
"I've made thousands of sketches and hundreds of prototype products (for the Galaxy). Does that mean I was putting on a mock show for so long, pretending to be designing?"

"As a designer, there's an issue of dignity. (The Galaxy) is original from the beginning, and I'm the one who made it. It's a totally different product with a different design language and different technology infused."
Lee admits that he may not be at the level of Apple's VP for design Jonathan Ive, but believes Samsung "will produce such iconic products one day."

Samsung has proven to be the largest Android smartphone manufacturer and one of Apple's biggest competitors. Samsung is also one of Apple's biggest suppliers and the manufacturer of Apple's 3rd Generation iPad's Retina Display. Apple and Samsung are in an ongoing legal battle over design and patent claims.

Article Link: Samsung's VP for Design Offended by Apple's Allegations of Copying

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Well, at least he got one thing right, he's not on the level of Ive. :apple:

vito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
well if he says he spent all that time coming up with thousands of designs and prototypes I'd love to see all the variations and know why he picked the one pretty much identical to the iPhone! ;)

Samsung and dignity :D :D

FFArchitect

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
"and I'm the one who made it"

I distinctly remembering Steve Jobs stating repeatedly that it wasn't just him, emphasizing that thousands of people were involved in their innovations.

He could learn a lesson or two about cultivating a culture around Samsung's development.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Lee admits that he may not be at the level of Apple's VP for design Jonathan Ive, but believes Samsung "will produce such iconic products one day."

You'll get the credit once that happens. Until then....

Lek

macrumors member
May 27, 2009
That phone in the article looks like an iPhone :D

I read Lee's words with compassion and understanding. Then I glanced askew at my iphone sitting next to my macbook, slowly raised it next to the screen, looked back and forth, and said to myself.... his design looks like my iphone.

apernett

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
"...(The Galaxy) is original from the beginning, and I'm the one who made it. It's a totally different product with a different design language and different technology infused."

How so? Enlighten us please...

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
"(The Galaxy) is original from the beginning, and I'm the one who made it. It's a totally different product with a different design language and different technology infused."

"Because, see, our home button is a rectangle."

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
TouchWank is a blatant rip off of the iOS interface. Samsung have never shown any originality as far as their Android devices are concerned.

Same thing can be said about most other brands, especially when you look at the MacBook Air clones surfacing every week. The only thing that has impressed me is the ASUS Transformer. It sells very well, and has a USP, something every other Android tablet does not have. Its a USP that people actually want as well.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
One can't simultaneously espouse that smartphone designs are limited (thus resulting in very similar phones all around) and that one individual design is something very original (when it isn't). He should have stuck with the idea that smartphone designs are limited, and probably could have been granted more credence. Instead, he comes across as rather whiny and desperate (at least to me).

psxp

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
TouchWank is a blatant rip off of the iOS interface. Samsung have never shown any originality as far as their Android devices are concerned.

Same thing can be said about most other brands, especially when you look at the MacBook Air clones surfacing every week. The only thing that has impressed me is the ASUS Transformer. It sells very well, and has a USP, something every other Android tablet does not have. Its a USP that people actually want as well.

USP?? Do you mean USB?

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
Well, in my opinion you wasted a lot of time with all those sketches if this was just what they were gonna do anyway.

http://iphoneroot.com/samsung-copies-apple-power-adapter/

I've never seen that one before. I like it: Yes your honour, I am arguing that the similarity between the iPhone and our phone is pure coincidence. Yes, and the power adaptor. Yes, I understand that nobody else has come up with such a similar design. It must be that Ive and our designer have similar design values. Yes and that Ive has just that little bit more class and style........

....and yes your honour, I really do believe that you'll fall for this.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
power spec is USB spec

Well, in my opinion you wasted a lot of time with all those sketches if this was just what they were gonna do anyway.

http://iphoneroot.com/samsung-copies-apple-power-adapter/

To be fair, 5V 1A is pretty much the USB spec, which is up to 5V 0.9 A, and by the rules of significant figures you can't say that 1A isn't 0.9A
But the rest? clearly "let's do it in black and have smaller corner radii" isn't a new design language. Now, if they'd made it a sphere or a cylinder, maybe...

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
If it looks like a pig and acts like a pig, it must be a pig.

"I've made thousands of sketches and hundreds of prototype products (for the Galaxy). Does that mean I was putting on a mock show for so long, pretending to be designing?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.