Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iMore weighs in with information it has heard about the new iPhone that is due later this year.

140418-cdma_iphone_4.jpg

According to their sources, the new iPhone will be 4G LTE compatible, as expected. It will also be arriving in the fall, though the exact date will be determined close to the time. Finally, their source also claims that contrary to 4-inch rumors, the new iPhone will retain the same 3.5-inch screen, or very close to it.
So to sum up, iPhone 5,1 is on track for:

- Similar if not same sized screen (currently 3.5-inch but not set in stone)
- 4G LTE radio
- New "micro dock" connector
- Fall/October 2012 release
iMore had previously reported that they believe the new iPhone will carry a miniaturized dock connector to help reduce the overall size of the iPhone, itself.

iMore has recently been the source of some accurate information. Most recently, they pinpointed the announcement date for the iPad 3 and LTE support

Article Link: Next iPhone Coming Fall 2012 with LTE, 3.5-Inch Screen

Last edited:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Of course it is.

There's been little suggestion other than rumours of a bigger screen (i.e. no software related hints).

I'd like a 4" screen however. But happy with 3.5".

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Still only 3.5"? I have an android phone with a 4.3" screen, it holds in my hand just fine. Don't know until you try.

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
and hopefully...

there's going to be a jailbreak. Because would love to be able on rare occasion to get LTE access when wifi is missing.

Nice. :cool:

As for size, a little more would be nice. A little flatter too? Either way, I'm in. :p

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
I'd really like them to get rid of as much of the bezel as possible. I like the idea of the bigger screen, but I love the iPhone's current size.

Also, those concept designs that are just a screen on the front look really nice. I don't know how that'd work with a front-facing camera, but it's still cool to think about.

And in unrelated news, when are phones going to start shipping as waterproof by default? There were a bunch of startups having considerable success with it a few months ago at CES [if I remember correctly].

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Personally I'd be disappointed if the screen weren't 4 inches. LTE is kind of cool, but I spend so much of my life in wifi range that it just isn't going to get me excited about a new iPhone. But a little extra real estate on that screen sure would.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Not surprising that 3.5" stays based off of what Cook has been saying during conference calls.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
A microdock connector? Nothing like making all those spare docking cables we have bough over the years useless. Thanks Apple.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
Of course it is.

There's been little suggestion other than rumours of a bigger screen (i.e. no software related hints).

I'd like a 4" screen however. But happy with 3.5".

My exact thoughts. I think a 4.6" could be overkill unless they removed the home button for extra space.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I stream video a lot when I'm commuting, and I would love to have LTE. They can keep the same form factor--I think it's a gorgeous design. Just give me LTE please.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
3.5" screen just doesn't cut if for me any more. On the other hand... I have a 52" flat screen and it seems small now that I'm used to it. :)

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Damm can't we just enjoy 4s for now??? I mean its got to the stage where these phones are so great you don't need to upgrade yearly. Cant keep chasing latest and greatest

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Really? This fall, same screen, with LTE?!?!

Tell us something we don't know MacRumors... :rolleyes:

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Still only 3.5"? I have an android phone with a 4.3" screen, it holds in my hand just fine. Don't know until you try.

I'm somewhat unhappy with this rumour as well; I would prefer a larger screen if they were able to maintain the phone's relative dimensions. Otherwise, I would prefer the screen to remain similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.