Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appletvbob

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
It didn't occur to you that lte and 4g mean different things....?

My grammar fooled you. Of course they are completely different. My point was that often AT&T 4G speed is much slower than the speedtest result I posted. Often below 1MB, thank you AT&T: Comparing 4G speed to itself, not to LTE.

Paulshaqz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
it's no question att will be faster for now because it is in 5 citys so seeing 30 to 50 up and like 15 to 20 down is a big difference, but not for long once they get to a lot more citys like verizon then i think the network will come down with the same speeds, the whole bay area may be covered but places like sacramento is not yet and i do travel there alot that is why i'm happy with Verizon!

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
My grammar fooled you. Of course they are completely different. My point was that often AT&T 4G speed is much slower than the speedtest result I posted. Often below 1MB, thank you AT&T: Comparing 4G speed to itself, not to LTE.

Good point! I only get 4-6 at best and 1-2 at worst on ATT hspa+ when I should be getting way faster speeds but I guess AT&T is just deploying LTE instead...but hspa+ is only 3G if it can't get more than 10mbps up and down consistently. Apple needs to change that.

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Good point! I only get 4-6 at best and 1-2 at worst on ATT hspa+ when I should be getting way faster speeds but I guess AT&T is just deploying LTE instead...but hspa+ is only 3G if it can't get more than 10mbps up and down consistently. Apple needs to change that.

you are only getting 4-6 at best on hspa+ or on LTE, if on HSPA+ thats pretty good, about 7.5 down is about the fastest ATT HSPA+ speeds you can get from what i know.

ac4lt

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Broadlands, VA
ATT LTE (3-4 bars), Herndon, VA:
30-38 down, 10-13 up using speedtest.net

Amazingly, it's faster than my 25MBit fios connection at home. And speaking of home, in Reston, VA, I get a much weaker LTE signal, only 1 bar and there get only 10-12 down.

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Originally Posted by aristotle
I took that test today on the Skytrain in Vancouver, BC, Canada stopped at the Commercial/Broadway station on the Expo line.

On saturday, I activated my LTE and I got 98 Mbits/s download at Pacific Centre mall downtown but I cannot remember the upload speed.

At home, I've been getting around 18 Mbits/sec download and 3 up.

PS. Our carriers are all offering 2 months unlimited data on the their month to month flex plans.

That's funny. I thought the new iPad can get 73 mbps max download?

I've IM (instant message) aristotle for speed test pics or please post pics when next time around Commmercial/Broadway station and Pacific Centre mall downtown. aristotle has mentioned maybe a fluke in one of the posts.

This weekend I will be in the same area with my AT&T 4G model with optional international data plan. I am comparing orange to orange. What I meant is this...

Did you know AT&T 4G model and Canada 4G model have the same specs on LTE frequency bands of 700 Mhz and 2100 Mhz?

Verizon 4G model is only on LTE frequency band of 700 Mhz. (this is one of the reasons I will return my Verizon 4G model) ... as mentioned by my post above, I have 4G LTE coverages from AT&T and Verizon where I frequent (different states).

ac4lt

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Broadlands, VA
It's amazing what a difference a relatively small change in location makes. At work, as I mentioned earlier, I get in the 30's. At home, just a few miles away, around 12. I was at Reston Hospital this morning and was checking email. I figured I'd do a speed test there since I had a decent LTE signal. But, only 12 down/16 up. The circle that contains those three points has a radius of 1.5 miles.

It seems like LTE around here varies greatly depending on which cell tower you are talking to.

Aces2412

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Near DC
It's amazing what a difference a relatively small change in location makes. At work, as I mentioned earlier, I get in the 30's. At home, just a few miles away, around 12. I was at Reston Hospital this morning and was checking email. I figured I'd do a speed test there since I had a decent LTE signal. But, only 12 down/16 up. The circle that contains those three points has a radius of 1.5 miles.

It seems like LTE around here varies greatly depending on which cell tower you are talking to.

I am using at&t also in dc and it changes from 1 -30 Mbps. Vzw folks how is your range been? Stable?

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
AT&T in fort worth, tx. I'm surprised at the upload speeds vs download. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332519516.709936.jpg

Download is similar to my uverse wifi at home. Upload speed over uverse is around 1.6gb

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
AT&T doesn't have LTE in my area yet, however I'm pretty happy with the speeds that I'm getting now on their HSPA+ network. :)

ad310dce-c145-c63c.jpg

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011

this picture makes it look like if you die and go to heaven the clouds open up to reveal ios5 or an iPad with a speediest app

----------

Did you know AT&T 4G model and Canada 4G model have the same specs on LTE frequency bands of 700 Mhz and 2100 Mhz?

Verizon 4G model is only on LTE frequency band of 700 Mhz. (this is one of the reasons I will return my Verizon 4G model) ... as mentioned by my post above, I have 4G LTE coverages from AT&T and Verizon where I frequent (different states).
The Verizon model does not only operate on 700mhz, the Verizon network LTE network is indeed restricted to the 700mhz band which has many pluses over 2100mhz but the iPad itself (hardware wise) is exactly the same. They are both capable of connecting to the same bands, the only difference is the amplifiers and how they are set up to optimize the network connection.

Aces2412

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Near DC
AT&T non lte 4g speediest

With 4 bars inside home gambrills md 4g AT&T 3G. I just got

10.29. Down and 1.69 up. That's very good for hspa

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
AT&T's lower 700 and Verizon's upper 700 are completely incompatible on the antenna end of things, as one does the UL/DL one way, and the other the other way. AT&T's 700 works with Canadian 700. AWS on the AT&T/Canadian models is for future use, AFAIK.

djmodifyd

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
In des Moines Iowa.

On the edge of lte service area and 4 bars in 2nd floor of 8 story building I'm getting 5-6 down and 6 or so up. Verizon lte

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
Returned AT&T lte for Verizon this morning. Results so far indicate to be a little faster than the AT&T iPad.

Results are from Independence MO, just outside of Kansas City.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332621102.355571.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332621102.355571.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 82

djmodifyd

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
moving around sure does help!

I drove to the main city, out of the suberbs. And i went from 4mbps down to 32!

Now i'm back home and have 3 bars of LTE and "crappy" 4 mbps, oh well....good thing for my 40mbps fiber connection!

One thing i did notice...is i don't really see full bars of LTE..usually just upto 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.