Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vortor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a game controller to play some old school games on emulators. Thing is, I would like some recommendations. Wireless controllers would be great, especially if I don't need to install/mess with drivers.

Some additional information might be useful. The computer is a iMac 27" (late 2009 model) with 10.6.8 Mac OS X.

I'm more interested in playing NES, SNES and Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games.

I was thinking getting one of the SNES controllers. If you have one, how does it behave?

Thanks.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
You'd have to mod the cable of any of those console controllers, and that's something a bit out of my league.

I've seen word of how the wireless Xbox 360 controllers can play well with OS X. Try a search for that.

Vortor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Hi, thanks for the reply.

After a quick search, I noticed the wireless Xbox 360 controller seems a good bet. But I didn't read any good reviews from actual buyers. Do I just need to buy the controller or do I need to spend more in additional hardware? What about drivers/programs?

I would rather have the wireless controller version, but if the wired version is just "plug-and-play" (without the need to mess with settings/install drivers) I would probably buy it instead of the wireless controller.

Thanks.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The wired one is plug-and-play, and it's the best controller you can go with for PC gaming. It's pretty much the standard controller now. Some other controllers might have different button and axis placements which might mess things up a little.

ndonnine

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
California
Hi, thanks for the reply.

After a quick search, I noticed the wireless Xbox 360 controller seems a good bet. But I didn't read any good reviews from actual buyers. Do I just need to buy the controller or do I need to spend more in additional hardware? What about drivers/programs?

I would rather have the wireless controller version, but if the wired version is just "plug-and-play" (without the need to mess with settings/install drivers) I would probably buy it instead of the wireless controller.

Thanks.

If you get a wireless, you have to buy a DONGLE! You can't plug in with the cord and play. If you buy a wired you can plug it in and the drivers are on http://www.windows.com

Vortor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
I see. Wired seems to be the best bet.

Thanks for the responses.

Vorsos

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
I would not ever recommend the 360 gamepad for emulators, since its d-pad is more suited for games that never use it.
Your Mac has Bluetooth, so you can use a PS3 DualShock 3 without dongles.

ash.peas

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Tomee USB controller

Hey guys!

I received the Tomee SNES USB controller for Christmas, and I'm having some difficulty setting it up on my MBA. I'm running 10.8.2. The emulator I was initially using was on http://www.virtualsupernes.com, but then I read how much everyone liked ZSNES. I'm pretty sure the controller I received is defective, because the characters will walk left without prompt. So, before exchanging the controller, should I look into another USB controller, or would it be wiser to purchase an adapter for an old SNES controller I already have? Thanks! :eek::apple:

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Hey guys!

I received the Tomee SNES USB controller for Christmas, and I'm having some difficulty setting it up on my MBA. I'm running 10.8.2. The emulator I was initially using was on http://www.virtualsupernes.com, but then I read how much everyone liked ZSNES. I'm pretty sure the controller I received is defective, because the characters will walk left without prompt. So, before exchanging the controller, should I look into another USB controller, or would it be wiser to purchase an adapter for an old SNES controller I already have? Thanks! :eek::apple:

If you already have an SNES controller you like, why not get a Mayflash adaptor

I have one for my N64 controller, and another for my Wii Classic, and they work great! YMMV...read the Amazon reviews and see if it is for you.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I would not ever recommend the 360 gamepad for emulators, since its d-pad is more suited for games that never use it.
Your Mac has Bluetooth, so you can use a PS3 DualShock 3 without dongles.

Can I use the PS 3 controller in Bootcamp and Osx that way? Wish I had known that before I bought the wireless dongle for my 360 controller

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.