Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
So, I've been shocked at how much data my LTE Verizon iPad has used.

Just doing the same things as my iPad 2, (mostly forum browsing, checking email, twitter and the RARE youtube video, it's several times higher. I even went several days without watching any video at all and it's still high.

I know there is a lag of a few hours before it has been reported and visible in the Cellular Data section of the settings app ( where you log in, not under usage) so is been going up even when I'm home on wifi, but that could just be data from late in the day. I've been taking screenshots of the usage screen and just checked this morning again.

Since Friday at about 4:30 it has been at home and connected to wifi the whole time. Between 9:00 Saturday PM and 9:06 Sunday AM it used 27 megabytes of cellular data. WTF? After 30 hours surely all the data has been reported from Friday. If this is the case typically every day/night, that's close to half my data allowance used up when it should be on wifi.

Now, I never tracked it like this on the iPad 2 but I never had issues staying under 2 gig, except one month when it was just over. I'm at 1526 now after 10 days. Does it fall back to LTE when it is idle all night? I would assume it would use wifi when it could as it gets better battery life that way. Am I going to have to manually switch cellular data off when I get home?

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
yea just manually switch it off, sucks but that's what happens when these damn companies add caps on our internet rabble rabble rabble rabble :banghead:

eq2675

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
That's not right. I've been monitoring my cellular usage with the new iPad big time. While on my wifi network for the last 12 hours, I've recorded 10kb of cellular data use.

I would suggest looking at Settings -> Store and make sure Use Cellular data is turned off. I would also disable iCloud backup during testing. Good luck.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
All iPads with cellular connections that are active will use the cellular connections when they are sleeping to do things like check for email. Depending on how many email accounts you have and how much email there is your usage seems about right.

slothdog

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Mine used up 800MB last night while it was in a backpack away from wifi. I don't get *that* much email. Some sync process or something has to be getting stuck and is using up my data allotment. :mad:

bwapod

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
Here's a shot in the dark, but…

Look in settings under "iCloud" --> "documents & data" --> "use cellular". Make sure that's off.

I remember that getting me and a lot of other people when the 4s first came out.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I make sure my cellular use is turned off the second I get home. Don't want it all magically disappearing while I'm asleep.

Yeah make sure your documents and data cellular data iCloud sync is set to off... I had it on my first day and a half and ended up blowing through 60 mb right off the bat. No videos, no music... just email and web pages.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I have not set up iCloud so it is off and don't have auto downloading of anything on.

I'll just start turning cellular data off when I'm on wifi.

It would not such a big deal if data usage was not so darn high already with the new higher res screen.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
That's not right. I've been monitoring my cellular usage with the new iPad big time. While on my wifi network for the last 12 hours, I've recorded 10kb of cellular data use.

I would suggest looking at Settings -> Store and make sure Use Cellular data is turned off. I would also disable iCloud backup during testing. Good luck.

iCloud backup only backs up when plugged in and on Wi-Fi.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
Here's a shot in the dark, but…

Look in settings under "iCloud" --> "documents & data" --> "use cellular". Make sure that's off.

I remember that getting me and a lot of other people when the 4s first came out.

Thanks! I think that may be why my iPad will automatically switch to LTE when I'm on wifi, even when my cellular is switched off.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Thanks! I think that may be why my iPad will automatically switch to LTE when I'm on wifi, even when my cellular is switched off.

If your cellular data is switched off, the iPad will not use it at any time. The iCloud setting just tells the iPad that you're OK with it syncing over cellular when you're not connected to WiFi.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Ummm, unless you are streaming HD video the "new higher res screen" has nothing to do with higher data usage.

I was under the impression that some websites detect your resolution and serve content based on that. I know Maps is downloading much higher resolution tiles right from the beginning as its obvious and I've tested that side by side with the iPad 2 my wife is now using.

It's the only thing I can think of as to why, doing the exact same things I did on the iPad and iPad 2, this thing is using a multiple of the amount of data. Unless Verizon or the new iPad has some issue with correct data measurement.

I too would be interested in finding some alternate app to measure my usage, if one exists that does not require a jailbreak. Also, is there a way to get an accounting of the usage from Verizon on a no contract plan?

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I just go into Cellular Data and View Plan. It will turn on Cellular Data if it was off and you want to turn it back off after you view your usage.

I guess the downfall is I have to type in my email and password every time I want to view it.

I downloaded the Verizon App but I am on the pay as you go and it said it is unable to view usage for this type of account. I guess that only works if you signed up for contract.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I like DataUsage.

Thanks. I downloaded it and it's working well.

Of course, I just used up all 2 gig after 10 days. I guess I misread as I thought its was widely reported an extra 1 gig was 10 bucks, but that's not the case on the pay as you go plan. (should have realized that and not believed everything I read - d'oh) So, for now, I changed to the 5 gig for $50 plan and I'll try not to use the thing as much or just get used to paying more.

I'm still not totally understanding how I can use data up so much more quickly doing the same things as before with my iPad 2 and I'm not totally happy with the fact that there seems to be no way to get an accounting from Verizon showing what I've used. I guess I need to look into the postpaid plans. I just don't really want to be on a contract with this thing.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I wonder if it's the new iPad or something in the update OS that is using up so much of everyone's data. I have mine cellular turned off most of the time as I use it mostly at home and work where I have wifi.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I'm still not totally understanding how I can use data up so much more quickly doing the same things as before with my iPad 2 and I'm not totally happy with the fact that there seems to be no way to get an accounting from Verizon showing what I've used. I guess I need to look into the postpaid plans. I just don't really want to be on a contract with this thing.

I have post paid and I'm not on contract. Since you are not getting a subsidized phone, there is no need for a contract.....post paid is a good solution to get the $10/GB as well as roam on other carriers towers aka. Extended Network.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Now you know why those of us w unlimited data are careful not to let those plans go.

Oh yeah! I still have the unlimited plan on our iPhones. Our original iPad was wifi only and I bought our iPad 2 after they had eliminated the option or I would have definitely stayed with AT&T.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
No one should forget that buffering on HSPA+ or LTE is pulling more content down to the device faster than your ipad 1/2 does.

Its conceivable that you may watch 10 seconds of a youtube video, but have pulled down the whole dame thing.

At a minimum, turn of LTE until you need it.

Here's an interesting thing I found. Many magazine issue are 300 to 600 megs. Pull down 5 issues and 500 megs and you have used 2.5 gig.

Best bet is to turn on cellular data until you need to use it.

I would love to see a shortcut for this feature in future IOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.