Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:57 PM   #1
ravenvii
macrumors 604

[EM] It's Not Personal. It's Business.

"That ****ing Sanfilippo! We agreed! I sat here as he came in here - in here! My own home! - saying 'we have to have peace'! Peace! And he ****ing betrays me! Blew up my booze! Sold his cheap watered down piss in its place!

The Sanfilippo family is finished. Finished!"

In this game, we are going to attempt an assassination on a Mafiosi Don.

Players:

The Sanfilippo Family
Don Sanfilippo: jav6454
Consigliere: Scepticalscribe

Assassins:
Bombs Expert: mscriv
Torture Expert: Queen of Spades
Gun Expert: Koodauw
Sneaking Expert: Moyank24
Medical Expert: Don't panic
Former Drug Dealer: Rodimus Prime

Welcome to the biannual 'Evil Mansion' game! The [EM] stands for Evil Mansion, by the way, to distinguish this thread from the [WW] games.

You do not have to have played a Evil Mansion game to sign up, but I do highly encourage that you sign up only if you've played a [WW] game at least once.

This type of game will require somewhat more commitment than the normal [WW] game requires. The game simply does not function as intended if more than a few players disappear for days at a time.

RULES:

In General:

The game begins with 3 'villains' (a Don, a Enforcer and a Consigliere) and 6 assassins. The villains and the assassins have their own abilities that are PMed to them and not unveiled publicly.

The roles will be known to all from the beginning - there will be no secret roles. The only secrets in this game are: the full map (only the villains has access - more on that below) and the unique abilities of the individual assassins.

The map will be slowly revealed to the assassins as they move through the mansion.

The Villains:

There are three villains this game.

The main villain is Don Sanfilippo, who controls the mansion and all his crew. The Don, however, does NOT communicate with the assassins (i.e. cannot post in this thread at all, and only interacts with the game through PM with me, the Consiglieri and the Enforcer). He also cannot move from his office. The Don is not a warrior - he begins at level 1, and stays that way the entirety of the game. The Don relies on the Enforcer and his goons to protect him and eliminate the assassins.

The Enforcer is the main muscle of the villains' camp. He will begin at a undisclosed level. His main role is to protect the Don. He, like the Don, cannot post in the thread, and can only communicate with the villains and myself via PM. His abilities are very similar with the assassins - he moves through rooms using turns, and can pick up weapons from fallen goons to enhance his AP (more on that below).

The Consigliere is the Don's voice in the thread. He can move freely throughout the mansion, and does not engage the assassins unless explicitly attacked first. The Consigliere begins at level 1, and does not level up. However, the Consigliere does have the ability to increase his AP by picking up weapons left by fallen goons. The Consigliere can also communicate with the Don by PM, and do his bidding.

Their Goal: to eliminate each and every assassin invading the mansion.

The Assassins:

They all start at level 2. Their stats begin at 2 HP and 2 AP. Each time they level up, 1 HP and 1 AP will be added to their base stats.

Each assassin have special powers known only to them, and revealed to the other heroes at their own discretion. However, once a special ability is performed, this will be revealed in the thread.

Assassins’ Goal: To assassinate the Don. It does not matter if the Enforcer or the Consigliere are still alive, once the Don dies, the assassins win.

Game Mechanics:

Each rounds consist of a double turn for the assassins followed by a double turn for the villains. Each turn corresponds to one action.

There is no time limit on any turn; the assassins’ turn ends when the team leader communicates his decision to the GM. The villains’ turns are done by PM.

At the beginning, the assassins designates a leader (by a majority vote). The leader can be changed at any time by a simple majority, and it applies from the following turn. The designated leader facilitates the group's decisions and communicates them to the GM.

Assassin actions (decided by the leader in the thread, which should, but not necessarily has to, reflect the group opinion expressed through voting/discussion exclusively in the thread):

1) Move: the group opens a passage and moves into the next room.

2) Explore: the group explores the room they are in to find items or pick up dropped weapons.

3) Split and move: part of the group splits into a separate sub-group, who will have a separate turn(s) from next turn on. The new group chooses a new leader, the original group retains the old leader. The first, immediate, action of the new group HAS to be to move into a separate room (or stay in a room if the other group moves. If two groups get back into the same room, they automatically merge. When merged, the original leader remains leader, unless decided otherwise. The splitting doesn’t count as a move per se, but the splinter group has to immediately move to another room, so it counts as that group's action. The teams will from the split onwards, have two turns per round (not counting the turns they have already used as a single team in the instant round). They can arrange the turns in the manner they see fit.

4) Special actions: determined by the characters’ special powers. No one except a character knows the nature, extent or frequency of use of any of the special powers, including the villains. Those powers are performed by their respective character via PM to the GM. They do not consume turns, but are performed during the next turn following the order.

Villains’ actions: communicated to the GM by PM. Only the Consigliere can post in the thread.

1) Hire and position the goons (Don only).

2) move to another room or pick up weapons (Consiglieri and Enforcer only).

4) use the turn to earn money. (Don only). The Don can instead decide (active communication to the GM) to wait and collect money, which can then be used to hire.

The Don can wait for as many consecutive turns as he likes, in which no other actions are performed.

Goons: Goons lurk in their assigned room and don’t move unless moved by the Don. They will automatically attack the group when they enter the same room, in a fight to the death. Goons do not attack the Consigliere or the Enforcer.

Items: items can be found throughout the mansion by exploring the room.

Valuable treasure: hidden away in the mansion, worth millions if taken... if you make it out of the mansion alive, that is. Everyone in the group that discovers it gains one level.

Useful tems: they are placed by the GM at the beginning of the game, only the GM and the villains know their locations. Various items that holds significance. Their significance may not be apparent immediately, however. An example of such items is a key. They do NOT level up the group that finds them.

Goon drops: When killed, goons drop various types of guns (depending on the type of goon). When picked up, they add points to the top of the AP of the assassin holding the gun. The bigger/badder the gun, the bigger the AP bonus.

Fights: A fight starts whenever assassins enter a room with goons or the villains, and it is always a team battle.

The AP, or Attack Points, represents the total damage inflicted to the other side. This is randomly distributed to each component of the other side (if more than one). Even if a person dies during a battle, he/she will continue to be included in the damage assignment - the excess damage will be considered a "miss."

The HP, or Hit Points, are the amount of damage a character can receive before dying. The amount of damage received is determined by the opponent's AP, as discussed above.

When HP is zero, the goon or character dies.

In case of equal stats, the winner will be determined by random.org, and the loser's stats will be knocked down one point, and the consequences applied accordingly.

A example: say our team has split up, and we have three assassins who stumble upon a goon. Let's assume that our assassins are at level 2. That would mean they both have 2 HP and 2 AP. The unfortunate goon is at level 3, which means he would have 3 HP and 3 AP. Oh no! But wait, we combine the three assassins' stats, so the team's stats are 6 HP and 6 AP. Poor goon, indeed. It's dead, but its 3 AP means it'll hit the assassins with 3 points - each point will be assigned randomly to the members, depleting their HP.

Stats: all assassins start at 1 HP and 1 AP as base stats and gain 1 point each per level. When attacking, a group is considered as one entity and their AP are combined.

When receiving damage, the damage points are randomly distributed via random.org.

The HP of a character cannot exceed the maximum HP. The AP, however, can exceed the maximum with the use of guns.

Leveling: Discover treasure: gain a level. Kill a goon: gain a level. That's it.

There is no maximum level, and levels are gained by all the participants in the group that did the killing or discovery.

Last edited by ravenvii; Apr 16, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
ravenvii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:59 PM   #2
jav6454
macrumors G5

I wanna sign up!!! Please let me be the ultimate boss! I could never utilize my tower and its defenses last time....

Come at me people!

in

BTW, I wanna be the top boss in the game, which ever that is.

Last edited by jav6454; Mar 26, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
jav6454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:59 PM   #3
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

In. I would like the role of Consiglieri or the Don.
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

I'm in.

I'm fine with whatever role - whatever I am, I'll still get all the girls
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:15 PM   #5
mscriv
macrumors 68040

I'd like to play. Are you randomly assigning roles like the first time we played or letting players pick their role like the last time we played?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:43 PM   #6
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

If you'll let me, I'd love to play.

in

Last edited by Comeagain?; Mar 26, 2012 at 12:21 AM.
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:16 AM   #7
rick snagwell
macrumors 68040

JustIN Bieber
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:21 AM   #8
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

In!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
I'm in.

I'm fine with whatever role - whatever I am, I'll still get all the girls
You mean all the ones I leave behind.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:34 AM   #9
Don't panic
macrumors 68040

sure thing
Don't panic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:55 AM   #10
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

I'm in, too. This will require a fair amount of work from the GG - well done again, ravenii, running this so hot on the heels of the previous one.

I followed the last game bizarrely closely (from a desk looking over the mountains of Kyrgyzstan) as - with regret - I couldn't commit to the time commitments required.

However, I do recall that there was an extraordinary disproportion in the powers ultimately wielded by the two sides in that those dwelling in the three mansions/towers appeared to have things very much tilted in their favour. The other thing I seem to remember is that this is a game where actions have consequences - even more than in the WW games - in that a mistake can be really fatal, something sometimes not seen for several moves.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:03 AM   #11
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Coutn me in
Koodauw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:40 AM   #12
ravenvii
macrumors 604

Scepticalscribe and koodauw, the game is technically full as of Don't panic, but I'll try to think of a way to keep you guys onboard. However, signups is closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscriv View Post
I'd like to play. Are you randomly assigning roles like the first time we played or letting players pick their role like the last time we played?
You pick the role, like last game.

if more than one person wants a role, it will be randomly assigned between them.

Mscriv, I am particularly looking forward to your input regarding the rules. Especially the leveling system, like Scepticalscribe alluded to, the balance was a bit too tilted towards the bad guys' favor last game.

To be exact, I need to figure out how to prevent a "guaranteed death" during the very first battle when everyone is level 1, but at the same time keeping it challenging for the good guys...

Oh, and you might be glad to see I got rid of traps this game - I know you weren't a big fan of them
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:02 AM   #13
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenvii View Post
Scepticalscribe and koodauw, the game is technically full as of Don't panic, but I'll try to think of a way to keep you guys onboard. However, signups is closed.

if more than one person wants a role, it will be randomly assigned between them.

Mscriv, I am particularly looking forward to your input regarding the rules. Especially the leveling system, like Scepticalscribe alluded to, the balance was a bit too tilted towards the bad guys' favor last game.

To be exact, I need to figure out how to prevent a "guaranteed death" during the very first battle when everyone is level 1, but at the same time keeping it challenging for the good guys...

Oh, and you might be glad to see I got rid of traps this game - I know you weren't a big fan of them
No problem. If you can find a way to include us, great, if not we'll watch from the sidelines, shout encouragement and whisper stage prompts.

Re the game, another thing I recall is that the skill-sets of each player were actually very important (sad really: you can see what I was paying heed to, along with a close eye on the political culture and situation of Kyrgyzstan last autumn...); choosing who to sacrifice in the case of injury or serious wounds - in the event of such a choice arising - actually influenced eventual outcomes, I seem to recall.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:00 AM   #14
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:

In that case then I'll just let things unfold... you put me wherever you want me or where I end up after everyone else voices their preference.

Quote:

I didn't mind traps, I just think the system needed tweaking so as not to make the use and disarming of traps routine and thus really a non factor in the game.

As far as the rules, leveling, and the attack system, I think it could be a challenge keeping the game simple while trying to find the right balance. Most role playing games can get quite complicated in their rules and mechanics.

At first glance I think the EM games need some kind of attack system that will allow for the possibility of a "miss" and the chances of success could be tied to the level of the characters. For simplicity sake you could keep it in a group format as opposed to breaking it down into individual character attacks.

For example:

Level 1 - 50% chance an attack succeeds
Level 2 - 60% chance an attack succeeds
Level 3 - 70% chance an attack succeeds
Level 4 - 80% chance an attack succeeds

* Obviously this is just an example, you should base the percentages on how easy it will be for the players to level up and the increments should be reasonable.

Additionally, to keep battles fair you could make the monsters/goons attack chances equal to the good guys in any given battle. A level one battle puts both sides at the level one attack percentage, a level three battle would put them both at that percentage level, and so on. You could apply this to all the bad guys or make exception for the key villains and give them their own percentages for battle based on their roles.

I don't know if this is the ultimate solution you are looking for, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.

Another suggestion, if you are keeping healing treasure in the game then I don't think its discovery should level up the characters. The benefit of healing alone is enough of a reward.

Last edited by mscriv; Mar 26, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
mscriv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:04 AM   #15
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Doh! No big deal though, you dont have to worry about including me or anything like that. Ill check in and see how this one goes.
Koodauw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:36 AM   #16
rick snagwell
macrumors 68040

raven, when do you want PM's sent?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:40 AM   #17
jav6454
macrumors G5

BTW, I see that traps are removed... if people agree, can we get them back?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:43 AM   #18
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
BTW, I see that traps are removed... if people agree, can we get them back?
No, leave the traps out. They made the baddies too powerful last time - the good guys didn't even make it out my mansion.
r.j.s is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:35 PM   #19
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
No, leave the traps out. They made the baddies too powerful last time - the good guys didn't even make it out my mansion.
Traps are fine, just need less of them. Remember they cost a pretty amount of action points to trigger
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:12 PM   #20
rick snagwell
macrumors 68040

torture expert.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:21 PM   #21
ravenvii
macrumors 604

I tried to add two roles and still keep the game coherent. Didn't really work. One added role (and tweaks to the Don and Consiglieri) worked great, however. So there's one more opening, which is reserved for Scepticalscribe or Koodauw. Let me know which one of you wants in.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:31 PM   #22
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

I'll take Gun Expert, then.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:40 PM   #23
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

If Koodaw doesn't want it, I'll happily take it.

Thanks, ravenii, for going to the trouble of tweaking and massaging matters to achieve this outcome.

(If Koodaw really, really wants it - sure, he can have it; we'll toss for it - online - if necessary - naw, only kidding).

Seriously, though, if it is not a problem, I'll happily join in, (or not). And, I'm, not fussy about the role assigned - will cheerfully accept whatever is on offer.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:46 PM   #24
ravenvii
macrumors 604

Went through the rules making changes. Feedback is welcome, as always!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:52 PM   #25
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I tried to add two roles and still keep the game coherent. Didn't really work. One added role (and tweaks to the Don and Consiglieri) worked great, however. So there's one more opening, which is reserved for Scepticalscribe or Koodauw. Let me know which one of you wants in.
I'll sit out and both can play. I'd like to watch this first time. It seems a little more confusing then I'd like to start out with.
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion