Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:37 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

More iPad Battery Notes: 25-Hour Hotspot Life, 2-Amp Current Draw from Discharged State

Much has been made of the increase in battery capacity in the new iPad over the past week and a half, including its impact on charging and heat issues experienced by consumers. More recent discussions have focused on the device charging beyond the 100% indicator.

A few other tidbits related to the device's battery are gaining some exposure, information which may help users plan how they use their iPads. First, a report from AnandTech addressing battery life has been gaining renewed interest for its revelation that users running a Verizon iPad in personal hotspot mode can see as much as 25 hours of battery life to provide connectivity for their other devices. That number has also been confirmed by The Verge.

While Verizon is including personal hotspot functionality in its iPad data plans at no extra charge, AT&T has yet to announced whether it will even support the feature at all, noting only that it is "working with Apple" on the issue.

Meanwhile, VR-Zone notes that the new iPad can draw as much as 2 amps of current when charging the battery from a nearly-depleted state, pushing the capacity of charging connections such as computer USB ports. Apple's supplied iPad power adapter provides for up to 2.1 amps of current from a wall outlet, and the company has long noted that this method offers the fastest charging on any iPad. Users can, however, still charge the device using the smaller 1-amp adapter included with an iPhone or by connecting the dock connector cable directly to a computer's USB port. VR-Zone notes:
Quote:
As you can see in the video below, the iPad in question only had seven percent battery life remaining and at this point it's sucking 1.98A. That's a lot of power and we were told by Gigabyte that they've seen it hitting just over 2A. That said, as you might've noticed from the picture above, this quickly drops once the iPad begins to charge, but considering a standard USB 2.0 port only delivers 500mA and even a USB 3.0 port will only deliver 900mA, you have to wonder how much Apple cares about PC owners.
The new iPad carries a 42.5 watt-hour battery, roughly 70% larger in capacity and size than the 25 watt-hour battery found in the iPad 2.

Article Link: More iPad Battery Notes: 25-Hour Hotspot Life, 2-Amp Current Draw from Discharged State
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:39 PM   #2
applefan289
macrumors 68000

I think the new iPad sucks.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:40 PM   #3
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefan289 View Post
You're in the minority. The display alone puts it *WAY, WAY* ahead of the previous two generations. It's the one to have.
jamesryanbell is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:41 PM   #4
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502

Quote:
We appreciate your feedback, appletroll289.
TimUSCA is offline   49 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:44 PM   #5
jambon
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted

It wont even charge on the USB 3 port on my laptop. The supplied plug seems the only sensible way to do it.
jambon is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:44 PM   #6
markyr17
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
As you can see in the video below, the iPad in question only had seven percent battery life remaining and at this point it's sucking 1.98A. That's a lot of power and we were told by Gigabyte that they've seen it hitting just over 2A. That said, as you might've noticed from the picture above, this quickly drops once the iPad begins to charge, but considering a standard USB 2.0 port only delivers 500mA and even a USB 3.0 port will only deliver 900mA, you have to wonder how much Apple cares about PC owners.
That is absolutely ridiculous. Because a PC owner's USB port doesn't supply as much power as the included charger for the 3rd generation iPad, Apple is screwing over their PC owning customers?

EDIT:

It's not like Apple can just go back and change the USB port specs. Obviously the iPad needs this amount of power to run their device, and they're not making it require so much power just to be jerks. That comment make absolutely no sense to me.
markyr17 is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Peace
macrumors P6

Just plug the damn thing into a wall outlet. Good grief. Apple supplies one with it. Why not use it?
Peace is offline   50 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR-Zone
you have to wonder how much Apple cares about PC owners.
How many netbooks can charge over USB from a PC?

Seems like you should be pointing those out to me, VR-Zone, if you're trying to prove to me that this is something that devices with screens like this should be doing. I'm assuming it's a long list for you to make a comment like that. Would be nice of you to share.
Small White Car is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:46 PM   #9
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
2 amps is a LOT of current. It only takes milliamps to kill a person. Of course the voltage would need to be higher, but still.. 2A.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:46 PM   #10
SpinThis!
macrumors 6502

Quote:
considering a standard USB 2.0 port only delivers 500mA and even a USB 3.0 port will only deliver 900mA, you have to wonder how much Apple cares about PC owners.
Yeh Apple doesn't care about PC owners, they care about the user experience. The wall charger obviously provides the fastest juice so why not take advantage of that? USB was really only meant to provide power for low-usage devices.

Quote:
JUst plug the damn thing into a wall outlet. Good grief. Apple supplies one with it. Why not use it?
Exactly. Someone might have a case if Apple weren't providing one in the box.
SpinThis! is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:47 PM   #11
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyr17 View Post
That is absolutely ridiculous. Because a PC owner's USB port doesn't supply as much power as the included charger for the 3rd generation iPad, Apple is screwing over their PC owning customers?
Yep, apple included not only an ac adapter, but also wifi syncing.

With wifi syncing, there is no need to connect to either a pc or mac, which don't provide enough power for the current or future iphone/ipod touch/ipad.
Richdmoore is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:47 PM   #12
swarmster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
"...but considering a standard USB 2.0 port only delivers 500mA and even a USB 3.0 port will only deliver 900mA, you have to wonder how much Apple cares about PC owners."
This is so true! Apple clearly should have hard-capped the charging power at 2.5W to somehow prove it cares about PC owners (?????)! Why didn't I see it before?

Apple ships a 10W (= 2A) charger with the iPad, and ever since iPad 1 has said that will charge it fastest (duh). There is nothing wrong with charging at lower current levels, except, obviously, you're charging slower.

The ignorance in all the recent iPad reporting has been mind-boggling. Until you realize that they probably all know better, it's just disparaging headlines about Apple brings the most traffic.
swarmster is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:48 PM   #13
timd.mackey
macrumors newbie

With WiFi syncing and iCloud syncing, there are very few reasons left to ever plug your iPad into your computer.
timd.mackey is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:49 PM   #14
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Quote:
you have to wonder how much Apple cares about PC owners
Apple cares so much they included a charger so PC owners can charge their iPad from the same outlet they plug their PC into.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:50 PM   #15
rosalindavenue
macrumors 6502a

My ipad 1 would not charge from the USB ports on my 2011 Dell desktop at work. I applied that ASUS hack that increased the voltage and then it charged, but s l o w l y. This is not a new issue. I think that the Consumer reports testers were using an USB port when they ran their test; I can pretty much guarantee that my ipad one would not get any charge while playing infinity blade and charging from my Dell.

Last edited by rosalindavenue; Mar 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo
rosalindavenue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:51 PM   #16
btbeme
macrumors regular

..."considering a standard USB 2.0 port only delivers 500mA and even a USB 3.0 port will only deliver 900mA, you have to wonder how much Apple cares about PC owners."

Oh golly gee, a single tear rolls down my cheek.

If we limited ourselves to using old standards to support new technology, we would still be using Windows.
btbeme is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:53 PM   #17
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbeme View Post
..."considering a standard USB 2.0 port only delivers 500mA and even a USB 3.0 port will only deliver 900mA, you have to wonder how much Apple cares about PC owners."

If we limited ourselves to using old standards to support new technology, we would still be using Windows.
We are using an "old standard". It's called. wait....

Electricity !!!!

Wow. what a concept.
Peace is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:53 PM   #18
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

You shouldn't own a PC to begin with, much less expect Apple to care.
jamesryanbell is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:54 PM   #19
H2SO4
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
2 amps is a LOT of current. It only takes milliamps to kill a person. Of course the voltage would need to be higher, but still.. 2A.
A lot higher. Honestly I've no idea why people harp on about it takes milliamps to kill. Virtually everything you come across in life produces in excess of the 30mA that it apparently takes to kill you.
H2SO4 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:55 PM   #20
tigres
macrumors 68040

So is this good news, bad news, or no news?

I drew nothing from this other that what we already know, it takes some time to charge it, and it should be done with the supplied charger.
what's the big deal?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:56 PM   #21
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
Actually, it takes hundreds of DC milliamps to kill a person, and that's assuming there is little to no resistance (aka skin http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/JackHsu.shtml).

Ohms law: W=VI. So, at 2 amps running at 5 Volts for USB, you're still only drawing 10 Watts. That's less than even most CFL light bulbs.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:56 PM   #22
heliocentric

Quote:
It sure sucks up the juice!
heliocentric is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:02 PM   #23
iThinkIt
macrumors regular

Quote:
It's ok.. we understand you didn't get yours on opening day..
iThinkIt is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:03 PM   #24
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yup. Total failure. I guess that's why everyone has been lining up to get an Android tablet...
Xenomorph is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:04 PM   #25
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbeme View Post

USB 3.0 old technology? *lol* Really? That must be the reason, why Apple supports USB 3.0, in the next MBPs and MBAs. Yeah, that must be the reason! Not!?

And regarding Windows:
I can do much more on Windows, than on the Mac OS X platform. Windows is a very modern, stable OS. I know it sounds absurd for you, but i plan to buy a Windows-based workstation for video editing/encoding (perhaps a Mac Pro or HP (both with Windows 7 SP1)).

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   -15 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion