Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should iPads come with headphones?

• Yes

Votes: 228 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 148 39.4%

• Total voters

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Probably the last considerations I had with my iPad purchases were whether a headphone was included. A charger I need. Cheap earbuds...not so much.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Not sure what that is in reference to, but I own a pair of power beats that I use in the gym, and they're the best pair of in ear buds, or otherwise that I have owned.
In ear ones are fine, it's just those big red and white ones, they look ridiculous. I would be embarrassed to wear them in public.

cipo

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2010
Stuttgart, Germany
Hate, hate, hate them. What do you think I have been living in a cave and have never tried in ear buds? They're offensive, a monstrosity to the human ear, truly despicable.

You were implying that there is no good audio quality to be had with in-ears. That's wrong. Your phobias are a different story.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
You were implying that there is no good audio quality to be had with in-ears. That's wrong. Your phobias are a different story.
Not what I am implying at all, but maybe I should have been more clear. Personally, I find them uncomfortable and annoying, not to say most people might like them.
He said I would be shocked by how good they are if I tried them, and I replied that I hate them.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Simple answer, yes they should. YOU might not use them but they still should be included. They're obviously not the expensive to produce. I use them as my "beater" headphones for when i'm doing different activities such as going to the gym or for a run.

jacktorrance

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
Not what I am implying at all, but maybe I should have been more clear. Personally, I find them uncomfortable and annoying, not to say most people might like them.
He said I would be shocked by how good they are if I tried them, and I replied that I hate them.

You are a walking contradiction.

Back on topic - I have a drawer that contains three pairs of unused in-ear Apple headphones. For my money Apple should not supply them with iPads or any other device for that matter.

jetblk328i

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
Don't need them, but free stuff is always good...with that said, if my next iphone didn't come with headphones and was $20 dollars less, I'm not complaining..

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
They should. Those headphones cost next to nothing and yet the provide the feeling of increased value to the customers. Plus, they have other uses such as much beloved dictation which was one of the key selling poitns of the new iPad. Using a headphone microphone dictation produces better results in my case. Also, many cheap people will not buy another set of headphones, which is manifested later in them watching youtube in public and on maximum setting.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Not a big deal to me. What's really wrong is Apple charging $29 for a pair on its own. Those crappy headsets aren't worth more than $5.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Include the regular earbuds so you can use it out of the box while you decide if you want to replace it with something substantial.

They are not the best headphones. But I tend to like to use my apple earbuds as car headsets so the "$20" accessory is appreciated. Would I use them daily for music... No, but I also love using them on my iMac at work and in the car in a pinch. My work Mac has the old white keyboard so no volume buttons.

gregruns

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
Yes, absolutely they should come with the earbuds, and even a microfiber sleeve for the ipad also!

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
In fact, I think that Macbook Air should include them! If you market a product as a portable computer, you have to imagine how the people will use it. Many people use it for skype, other chat programs, using the laptops in a quite library,etc. All of those situations can benefit from having earbuds and a better (closer to the mouth anyway) microphone.

Plus... the white earbuds scream Apple which markets your product whenever you take them out.

Sdreed91

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Yes while there are better options out there as people have have said I also think apple could provide headphones with there 500+ plus device. But they might assume that people are using one of their other products that has headphones provided already.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
the 73 no votes remind me just how many of the users on here are actually trolls lol!

Many users being paid to post on these forum ... :(

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008

I doubt that. Trolls, maybe. Paid, highly unlikely. Opinionated? Yes. I think people have a gut reaction to those white earbuds. They have a bad reputation. I just think of it as a courtesy or interim pair.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
the 73 no votes remind me just how many of the users on here are actually trolls lol!

I doubt that. Trolls, maybe. Paid, highly unlikely. Opinionated? Yes. I think people have a gut reaction to those white earbuds. They have a bad reputation. I just think of it as a courtesy or interim pair.

No, it's just they are so very bad. Sound tinny, don't stay in, fall apart easily, and worse, add cost to the product.

I'm using a pair of skullcandy in ear headphones that cost £10 (~$15US). A good balance between quality and price I think.

The apple headphones are one of the worst things apple ships, they were good for branding, but now they show up how poor they are.

And with an iPad? Does anyone use an iPad as a portable music player? Really? I was at a poker game recently and I saw a guy using his iPad as an mp3 player, looked ridiculous.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Yes because my headphones usually break around the time I get a new iPhone or iPad and having them packed with the iPad 3 would have been nice. Now I gotta go buy some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.