Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:27 PM   #1
apenney
macrumors newbie

Alternative to Origami Workstation

I ordered a couple of the apple wireless keyboards to go with my iPad 3 with the assumption that I could pick up a couple of origami workstation cases. However, these seem to have vanished and my order is in limbo.

So now I'm in a bad situation where I'm stuck with a few keyboards and no case. What I want is something that wraps around the keyboards but props up the ipad for typing... the origami workstation, basically. Does anyone know of anyone else who makes a similar case for the keyboard that converts to a prop to rest the ipad again.
apenney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:55 PM   #2
joshi3joshi
macrumors regular

would also like to know. the origami workstation looks wonderful, but it seems to have been discontinued or something, bestbuy doesn't sell it anymore. the apple online store does, but wondering if there are alternatives too.

by the way,

Quote:
Originally Posted by apenney View Post
I ordered a couple of the apple wireless keyboards to go with my iPad 3...
why did you need to order a couple keyboards? for 1 ipad?
joshi3joshi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:34 PM   #3
apenney
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshi3joshi View Post
would also like to know. the origami workstation looks wonderful, but it seems to have been discontinued or something, bestbuy doesn't sell it anymore. the apple online store does, but wondering if there are alternatives too.

by the way,

why did you need to order a couple keyboards? for 1 ipad?
Dude, you haven't lived until you use one keyboard for each hand (no, I got matching ipads for me and the wife, can't make her all jealous of my fancy new technology!)

Still no replace from incase asking why they took my order then discontinued the case and what's going on. :/
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:27 PM   #4
chilady1
macrumors member

That's is to weird but there may be something to your comment about them phasing these keyboard cases out. I just got one last week - had to go to the Apple store to get it, because they were sold out online.

When I got to the Apple store, there was only 1 left - that was it. I didn't inquire about whether they were getting anymore in because quite honestly, I got mine. But the more I think about it, maybe they are coming out with an upgraded version of the original OR as put earlier - doing away with the case altogether which would be strange since so many people have purchased the cover and seem to really like it.

The only thing I have ever heard as a negative is the fact that the velcro sometimes comes undone, but most people just glue it back on and keep rolling. For me, I really like this keyboard case and it has really made the experience of using the iPad2 better because now I have a full keyboard instead of the virtual keyboard. I do hope they come out with an upgraded version of this case, would be nice.

P.S. Thanks for answering the question about two keyboards, cause I was wondering the same thing: What the heck does he need two keyboards for? LOL!
chilady1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:01 PM   #5
TraceyS/FL
macrumors 68040

I ordered one from BH yesterday and it is on its way here. Maybe they still have some in stock?
TraceyS/FL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:58 PM   #6
apenney
macrumors newbie

They shipped mine out of nowehere, then closed my support ticket with some fluff about UPS. I find it weird they are discontinuing them, it's not like it could fail to support the ipad3, so why? They don't have any other keyboard cases that would replace it in the line up, odd.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:55 PM   #7
albert1028
macrumors 6502

FYI, for those who want them. I saw some at my local target (Diamond Bar, CA) on clearance for $15 and some change.

Might be good to check out your local target.
albert1028 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:06 PM   #8
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816

I have one of these cases, and it is great. I'm surprised that they are discontinuing this great product. Thanks for the tip about target, I will try there to pick up a spare. (Although where I live they only have one Target, and it's clearance section is hit very hard.)

Edit: Checked out Target, but they didn't have any. I bunch of cases and sleeves for both tablets and laptops/netbooks were on clearance however, for those who are looking for stuff like that.

Last edited by Richdmoore; Mar 26, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Richdmoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:00 AM   #9
TraceyS/FL
macrumors 68040

Darn it, this is TWO things i forgot on my trip to target 20 minutes ago. My mind just full of other stuff right now!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:33 AM   #10
bluv4eva717
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted

Check out Target, they had those cases on clearance.
bluv4eva717 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:31 PM   #11
gameboy213
macrumors regular

I just ordered one for in store pickup at Apple. They are still out there. I think they must be doing some kind of update to it or something. Odd they would be getting discontinued when they seem to be quite popular.
gameboy213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:20 PM   #12
TraceyS/FL
macrumors 68040

Well, I got mine today - LOVE IT. Told my UPS guy he brings me the best stuff

Remembered to look when I was at Target for another one - and they had 2 so i bought them. My DD and I share a keyboard so i'm not sure if I will keep a 2nd one for us, and I remembered my Dad doesn't have a keyboard...

I'll think about it for a few days! LOL!!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories