Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks. I will try it later.

Any fight I get into, I save. If I run down a long road and harvest some plants, I save, etc, etc. Sometime I over write previous saves made like that. That's kind of my habit pattern. Even if you have it saving every 15 min, after each event that turns out favorably, you are obligated to save. :)

Maverick513

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Any fight I get into, I save. If I run down a long road and harvest some plants, I save, etc, etc. Sometime I over write previous saves made like that. That's kind of my habit pattern. Even if you have it saving every 15 min, after each event that turns out favorably, you are obligated to save. :)

I always forget to save the game. Most time I only save the game manually before quit it.
I checked fAutosaveEveryXMins in my ini file, and noticed its value was 60. I changed it to 5, launched the game and idled in a house for near 10mins. No autosave occurred.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I took a 3 month break from this game. Now it seems about 5 min into restarting the game, (on two occasions) it freezes solid requiring a reboot. I remember something like this with Oblivion, after so many hours of play freezing. For Skyrim, I've done some searches, but see nothing in particular. Steam shows the game as updated. Anyone got a fix or link for this issue? :(

Thanks

thegreatdivorce

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2010
Upper Left USA
How big are your save files, Huntn?

Haven't played Skyrim in a couple months. But the last day or two I got bored with BF3, so I started messing with some new ENBs using .113, and the 1.6 patch (which is pretty nice! mounted combat is entertaining.)

ENB before/after:

enb113beforeafter.jpg

Moonpath to Elsweyr:
spidersohno.jpg

elsweyr.jpg

Mounted Combat!

imonahorse1.jpg

imonahorse2.jpg

Last edited:

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA

Haven't played Skyrim in a couple months. But the last day or two I got bored with BF3, so I started messing with some new ENBs using .113, and the 1.6 patch (which is pretty nice! mounted combat is entertaining.)

That looks really nice...what mods are you running? I haven't been playing much the last 2-3, gasp, maybe 4 weeks, due to work. Are we up to v. 1.6 now?

thegreatdivorce

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2010
Upper Left USA
Yeah, 1.6 downloaded today, and added mounted combat.

I think I'm running ~30 mods ... the most noticeable is Fimbulvinter .113 ENB, and SMAA, and Armed to the Teeth. And the usual roundup of high-res textures and better meshes. And Jaysus swords. And ... and ... and... :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

8058 KB each. I keep them backed up just in case. If I ever loose my progress it would kill me. :) BTW in the last couple of sessions, the freezing issue did not occur.

Guys, can anyone tell me where the Dragon Wall is located in Frostmere Crypt? I've been through there, but I think I missed that one. I need my last Ice Form Shout to be full strength. I've searched online and although most links mention Frostmere Crypt, they don't say exactly where, and I'd like to avoid having to search the entire place. Thanks!

In search of the locations for Ice From shouts, I returned to Mt. Anthor and ended up fighting another dragon. After it died, I did not get its soul. What's up with that? :)

Last edited:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
8058 KB each. I keep them backed up just in case. If I ever loose my progress it would kill me. :) BTW in the last couple of sessions, the freezing issue did not occur.

Guys, can anyone tell me where the Dragon Wall is located in Frostmere Crypt? I've been through there, but I think I missed that one. I need my last Ice Form Shout to be full strength. I've searched online and although most links mention Frostmere Crypt, they don't say exactly where, and I'd like to avoid having to search the entire place. Thanks!

In search of the locations for Ice From shouts, I returned to Mt. Anthor and ended up fighting another dragon. After it died, I did not get its soul. What's up with that? :)

IIRC, it's right at the 'end', where the alter is and the sword (if you did the Pale Lady quest).

As for the glitch, yeah, the game is riddled with them. Several dragons died but I didn't get their soul. I have the issue with several Louis Lethrush's hanging around outside Whiterun. The Dragon Infusion perk does nothing.

And flying horses. I've seen several of them! I was running up the stairs from Windhelm docks toward the city and a dead horse came flying down the stairs at me. No idea where it came from. Have also seen them flying overhead in other parts of Eastmarch.

p.s. Just noticed there's DLC out tomorrow, Dawnguard? Never heard anything about it until now.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
IIRC, it's right at the 'end', where the alter is and the sword (if you did the Pale Lady quest).

As for the glitch, yeah, the game is riddled with them. Several dragons died but I didn't get their soul. I have the issue with several Louis Lethrush's hanging around outside Whiterun. The Dragon Infusion perk does nothing.

And flying horses. I've seen several of them! I was running up the stairs from Windhelm docks toward the city and a dead horse came flying down the stairs at me. No idea where it came from. Have also seen them flying overhead in other parts of Eastmarch.

p.s. Just noticed there's DLC out tomorrow, Dawnguard? Never heard anything about it until now.

I didn't even know there were flying horses, lol. I wonder if I did not get the dragon soul because I've all ready killed a dragon at Mt. Anthor?

Regarding the Frostmere Crypt do you remember if the wall is on the upper level or the lower level? If I was to guess I'd say lower level. Thanks! :)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I didn't even know there were flying horses, lol. I wonder if I did not get the dragon soul because I've all ready killed a dragon at Mt. Anthor?

Regarding the Frostmere Crypt do you remember if the wall is on the upper level or the lower level? If I was to guess I'd say lower level. Thanks! :)

The flying horses are either a weird bug (most likely) or else a dragon caught one and threw it; I've seen dragons throw trolls quite a distance. It is quite funny when you see a shadow fly over, and pull out your bow expecting a fight with a dragon, only to see a supersonic dead horse zooming off into the distance. :)

I think the wall is at the very bottom. I can't remember the exact layout, but most 'dungeons' have a shortcut from the end back to the entrance, so you might be able to get there quickly.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Installed Dawnguard last night, but apart from receiving the invite to visit their castle, I haven't played any of it yet.

I did notice two new classes of enemy that I hadn't seen before; a flying Chaurus and a new Falmer (Warmonger or something like that?). Nice! Great that the DLC doesn't just add extra missions, but improves the gameplay throughout.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Uh... I thought I was beginning to see the dreaded freezes typical of Bethesda games with big save files. In a short gaming session, I had 3 console freezes. In case the console was overheating, I turned it off and tried again the following day, and another freeze within 5 minutes. That's a bit worrying, as I still had the Companions, Thieves Guild questlines to finish, and I'd barely started the Dark Brotherhood, Bards guild and Dawnguard questlines.

So, I tried going back to a older game-file and the freezes have stopped. I also noticed a LOT of stutters when moving about (some fights were barely 1fps), which was fixed simply be dropping out to the Dashboard and re-loading Skyrim. I just installed Dawnguard, so that might have been a factor.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Uh... I thought I was beginning to see the dreaded freezes typical of Bethesda games with big save files. In a short gaming session, I had 3 console freezes. In case the console was overheating, I turned it off and tried again the following day, and another freeze within 5 minutes. That's a bit worrying, as I still had the Companions, Thieves Guild questlines to finish, and I'd barely started the Dark Brotherhood, Bards guild and Dawnguard questlines.

So, I tried going back to a older game-file and the freezes have stopped. I also noticed a LOT of stutters when moving about (some fights were barely 1fps), which was fixed simply be dropping out to the Dashboard and re-loading Skyrim. I just installed Dawnguard, so that might have been a factor.

It seems my recent Skyrim hard freezes/crashes have abated for the time being. As mentioned previously my game saves are about 5000KB. If large save files is the issue, it really is an aggravating one. It's been around for some time (previous Elder Scrolls). You'd think Bethesda would have this sorted out by now.

As far as the addon. I've got to finish the original story lines first. Yes, I've been very slow, neglecting the game for many months, but I'm getting back to it.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
It seems my recent Skyrim hard freezes/crashes have abated for the time being. As mentioned previously my game saves are about 5000KB. If large save files is the issue, it really is an aggravating one. It's been around for some time (previous Elder Scrolls). You'd think Bethesda would have this sorted out by now.

As far as the addon. I've got to finish the original story lines first. Yes, I've been very slow, neglecting the game for many months, but I'm getting back to it.

Ugh... the freezes are back. I'll try reverting back to a previous save, but I hope I haven't just hit 'the limit'. I've had similar problems with Oblivion and Fallout 3 (though Fallout 3: NV has been fine. I haven't played that as much, mind).

Bearing in mind that the game may be about to become unplayable, I've been racing through the questlines to finish them. I had the main quest & Winterhold college quests complete, so I finished the Thiefs & Companions quests. Now I'm trying the Dawnguard.. and I can't remember what's left in the Bard's College :)

The add-on is quite good. Adds several new enemies, new weapons and armour. They've also added nice touches like ferry men who'll take you from port to port along the coast. Even if you're not playing the Dawnguard quests, it still adds to the game.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ugh... the freezes are back. I'll try reverting back to a previous save, but I hope I haven't just hit 'the limit'. I've had similar problems with Oblivion and Fallout 3 (though Fallout 3: NV has been fine. I haven't played that as much, mind).

Bearing in mind that the game may be about to become unplayable, I've been racing through the questlines to finish them. I had the main quest & Winterhold college quests complete, so I finished the Thiefs & Companions quests. Now I'm trying the Dawnguard.. and I can't remember what's left in the Bard's College :)

The add-on is quite good. Adds several new enemies, new weapons and armour. They've also added nice touches like ferry men who'll take you from port to port along the coast. Even if you're not playing the Dawnguard quests, it still adds to the game.

After playing for about an hour last night I had a hard freeze. Everything stops. I'm playing this on W7/Bootcamp. I have yet to figure out how to force quit the game. The normal key strokes don't seem to work. Everything freezes in the game and in Windows too, unless I've forgotten how to force quit the game.

Thanks for the add-on info! I'll keep playing if I can. :)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
After playing for about an hour last night I had a hard freeze. Everything stops. I'm playing this on W7/Bootcamp. I have yet to figure out how to force quit the game. The normal key strokes don't seem to work. Everything freezes in the game and in Windows too, unless I've forgotten how to force quit the game.

Thanks for the add-on info! I'll keep playing if I can. :)

I'm actually playing an a 360 (boooo! hisssss!) and when it freezes, the console can be restarted via the IR remote control. On a few occasions, even that didn't work.

I wish I'd gone ahead with my plans for a "PC console" (essentially, a small-ish PC hooked up to my TV & sound system, with a wireless controller) for playing Skyrim. Along with the convenience of a console, I'd be able to install mods/patches for issues like this. The PC Oblivion bug could be fixed by changing one bit! On the console Oblivion, the bug rendered your save game unusable and there was nothing you could do.

I'm currently racing through the interesting quests, trying to complete them in case/before the game becomes unplayable! :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm actually playing an a 360 (boooo! hisssss!) and when it freezes, the console can be restarted via the IR remote control. On a few occasions, even that didn't work.

I wish I'd gone ahead with my plans for a "PC console" (essentially, a small-ish PC hooked up to my TV & sound system, with a wireless controller) for playing Skyrim. Along with the convenience of a console, I'd be able to install mods/patches for issues like this. The PC Oblivion bug could be fixed by changing one bit! On the console Oblivion, the bug rendered your save game unusable and there was nothing you could do.

I'm currently racing through the interesting quests, trying to complete them in case/before the game becomes unplayable! :)
I don't mind if you are on the 360. I have one too. :)

If anyone knows of a good way to force quit Skyrim in Windows 7 while avoiding an OS System restart, I am all ears. Maybe I'll google it. :)

----------

ENB before/after:

Moonpath to Elsweyr:

Mounted Combat!

Nice pics. What mod is this?

yahoocowboy

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Zoom doesn't work for me with the bow

I used a point to get this perk when I leveled up, but I cannot get zoom to work. I'm playing on a Macbook pro using the trackpad - no mouse. Anyone know how to make zoom work without a mouse?

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I used a point to get this perk when I leveled up, but I cannot get zoom to work. I'm playing on a Macbook pro using the trackpad - no mouse. Anyone know how to make zoom work without a mouse?

As you need to be holding both left and right attack buttons at the same time, you will need to change your keybindings. Clearly on a trackpad you cannot (at least without some serious system mods) left click and right click at the same time, so you will have to change at least one of your attack buttons to the keyboard.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Regarding quitting Skyrim in Windows 7 and getting a black screen, I've gotten better luck by quitting to the main menu instead of to the desktop. Then when I quit to the desktop, the desktop appears normally.

I just past a threshold in the game- finishing the Main Quest, taking care of the Skyrim dragon problem, specifically Alduin. I enjoyed it! I got the Imperials and Stormcloaks to agree to a temporary truce while I took care of it and now I wonder what I'm going to face regarding the Stormcloak rebellion?

In some ways I am surprised that the Stormcloak rebellion does not hold equal footing in importance. I've sided with the Imperials and am curious to see if and when there is a resolution to this conflict. Please shield significant spoilers in any replies! :)

I spend a lot of time rushing around doing quests. One of my plans is to do a casual walking tour of Skyrim to be sure I've not overlooked anything in particular. Even thinking about breaking out Oblivion, if I can located my saved game files. Don't really want to start over. :):)

See my Skyrim Blog started in 2011. Be warned, it's full of spoilers! :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.