Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

lte_logo.jpg

Dow Jones reports on comments from Sprint Chief Financial Officer Joe Euteneuer indicating that the carrier would be free to launch an LTE-equipped iPhone should one be introduced by Apple as many expect to occur later this year. There had been speculation that Apple might keep an LTE iPhone off of Sprint given that the carrier is well behind AT&T and Verizon in its plans to roll out an LTE network as it transitions away from WiMAX as its "4G" technology.
Sprint Chief Financial Officer Joe Euteneuer declined to say if Apple has such an iPhone planned. The carrier plans to introduce the 4G LTE network in only six cities by midyear.

Nonetheless, Euteneuer said Tuesday at an investor conference that Sprint's Apple contract is similar to those of rivals AT&T Inc. (T) and Verizon Wireless, and that the carrier isn't being held to any 4G LTE coverage requirements. In comparison, the other two carriers have rolled out 4G LTE to large swaths of the country.
Euteneuer noted that a theoretical iPhone launch in October of this year, in line with last year's schedule, would arrive with Sprint having rolled out LTE to many of the major cities in the United States. Consequently, he suggested that Sprint would in reality not be that far behind AT&T and Verizon by that time.

Article Link: Sprint's Deal with Apple Allows Carrier to Offer LTE iPhone Should One Debut

Boisv

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2012
I'm not on Sprint and I don't really know why but I'm kind of rooting for them.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Wifi + 4G "The new iPad"

Well I do not see why not, if "The new iPad" can be sold in non-US countries without a real 4G network *cough* then why not a 4G iPhone with a carrier without a widely adopted 4G network inside the US?

Rooting for the day we get a single model of iPad/iPhone and we can pull out the antenna module and replace it with the correct one to give us the appropriate frequency antenna/electronics.

hetrigger

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Texas
I left Sprint due to the fact of where I lived. ATT was the only one that serviced our area consistently. Plus, with the iPhone, you wouldn't be able to talk and surf at the same time. Or am I wrong?:confused:

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
I left Sprint due to the fact of where I lived. ATT was the only one that serviced our area consistently. Plus, with the iPhone, you wouldn't be able to talk and surf at the same time. Or am I wrong?:confused:

Yup your wrong LTE is a GSM variant the same that verizon and AT&T use talk and surf will work and the speeds shouldnt vary too much(Not taking traffic burdens in to account).LTE also is data only as of now

hetrigger

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Texas
Yup your wrong LTE is a GSM variant the same that verizon and AT&T use talk and surf will work and the speeds shouldnt vary too much(Not taking traffic burdens in to account).LTE also is data only as of now

Thanks for the info! I think in the beginning it was like that. But I guess they wised up!:)

a1kim

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2007
No its a GSM variant so of course you can talk and surf it was always there

I'm pretty sure this isn't correct. I don't think Verizon iPhones are capable of talk and Internet at the same time. Am I wrong? There were a whole slew of AT&T ads that focused on this one fact. Remember the fat Luke Wilson ads?

UPDATE:
OK, it's not a fat Luke Wilson ad, but this is what I was getting at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYjBg_r114o

Last edited:

a1kim

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2007
Yeah thats because the Verizon iPhone doesnt use LTE

Gotcha. I misunderstood. It sounded like you were saying that the current non-LTE Verizon iPhone would let you do talk and Internet at the same time.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA

Actually voice is still carried via CDMA 1X on Verizon's network, but yes you can talk and surf at the same time while on Verizon 4G LTE since different radios are used for each operation. Eventually voice will be carried VoIP on 4G, but they are not there yet.

My RAZR MAXX will surf and talk at the same time while connected to the 4G LTE network. The Verizon and Sprint iPhones are still running on outdated EVDO 3G only so they are limited by this and slow data speeds in general. Usually Apple is cutting edge, but they are behind when it comes to making LTE capable handsets. The speed difference between EVDO and LTE is HUGE!

Last edited:

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Actually voice is still carried via CDMA 1X on Verizon's network, but yes you can talk and surf at the same time while on Verizon 4G LTE since different radios are used for each operation. Eventually voice will be carried VoIP on 4G, but they are not there yet.

My RAZR MAXX will surf and talk at the same time while connected to the 4G LTE network. The Verizon and Sprint iPhones are still running on outdated EVDO 3G only so they are limited by this and slow data speeds in general. Usually Apple is cutting edge, but they are behind when it comes to making LTE capable handsets. The speed difference between EVDO and LTE is HUGE!

Yeah I know I just stated that LTE doesn't carry voice :p

Norkusa

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
I've been on Sprint since the 4S launch and they're awful. Today I was literally standing 50 yards away from one of their cell towers and I still couldn't send a text with a pic attached. Ridiculous.

sha4000

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
I've been on sprint so long that i remember when it used to get good reception in most places. Right now I can lose signal standing outside and that really pisses me off at times but not enough to go to any other carrier where data is limited or throttled. Plus I can call ANYONES cell and it wont go against my minutes. Matter of fact I have not used more 100 anytime minutes in ANy billing cycle in the past 2 years. I have a unlimited family plan with 1500 minutes btw my daughter and I. I really hope sprint gets their act together and if the iphone gets a bigger screen I just might try one.

Beavis3

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
Friend of mine was in town last weekend and had just gotten a Galaxy S2 on Sprint and was all excited that his phone was getting '4G' and was amazed at how quick it was. I had him download speedtest.net and he was getting about 2.5Mbps.
While sitting right beside him, I got 6Mbps on my 4S on AT&T.

Then I had him turn off the 4G...300kbps. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.