Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:54 PM   #26
lilo777
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Unfortunately for Sprint, because of this iPhone contract, they will go bankrupt before Apple produces LTE-capable iPhone.
lilo777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:02 PM   #27
sha4000
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Unfortunately for Sprint, because of this iPhone contract, they will go bankrupt before Apple produces LTE-capable iPhone.
Would you care to elaborate?
sha4000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:18 PM   #28
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68040
 
DakotaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: South Dakota, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis3 View Post
Friend of mine was in town last weekend and had just gotten a Galaxy S2 on Sprint and was all excited that his phone was getting '4G' and was amazed at how quick it was. I had him download speedtest.net and he was getting about 2.5Mbps.
While sitting right beside him, I got 6Mbps on my 4S on AT&T.

Then I had him turn off the 4G...300kbps.
I pull 20-25 Mbps down on Verizon 4G LTE quite often. I can see why they are moving to LTE.
__________________
Mac: 21.5" iMac Core i5 2.5 Ghz "Sandy Bridge"
iPad Air 16 GB WiFi - iPod Classic 80GB - LG G3
DakotaGuy is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:20 PM   #29
lilo777
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sha4000 View Post
Would you care to elaborate?
Sure. Quote: "In a research note, Bernstein analyst Craig Moffett said Sprint faces two distinct outcomes. First, company upgrades it network, stabilizes Clearwire Corp.'s (CLWR) financial position and delivers compelling 4G offerings; in the other, the company suffocates under its hefty contract with Apple Inc. (AAPL), has a "hobbled" 4G offering and faces a heavy debt burden."

Link.
lilo777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:34 PM   #30
BiggAW
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
The real issue here is whether Apple will support the G-block LTE implementation that Sprint is doing. However, it looks like now that they split the iPads to get LTE, they will be doing different versions from now on. At least G-block is a little easier to support, as it can co-exist with anything else, unlike Verizon and AT&T's LTE implementations, which can't co-exist with the same amp and antenna setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
Their DC-HSPA+ is almost as fast, even though their coverage is awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1kim View Post
Gotcha. I misunderstood. It sounded like you were saying that the current non-LTE Verizon iPhone would let you do talk and Internet at the same time.
The Thunderbolt will do simultaneous voice and data on EVDO through SVDO- the iPhone's chipset doesn't support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Unfortunately for Sprint, because of this iPhone contract, they will go bankrupt before Apple produces LTE-capable iPhone.
Yup.
__________________
MBP 15", 2,2 i7, 8GB ram, 10.7.x
500GB Samsung 840 in Optibay (Boot), 640GB HDD (storage)
Black iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T 7.0.4 JB'ed, 2GB Data Pro
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:40 PM   #31
sha4000
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Ok another speculator
sha4000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:42 PM   #32
bretm
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetrigger View Post
Thanks for the info! I think in the beginning it was like that. But I guess they wised up!
Who wised up? The Verizon iPhone still uses Verizon 3G which doesn't support talk and surf. ATT iPhone supports a sort of HSPA+ which is faster than ATT 3G, which is still twice as fast as Verizon 3G, AND supports talk and surf. There really isn't any contest over the 4S. ATT is the only choice imo. Don't forget, ATT has ROLLOVER minutes! So you don't need to get some huge minute plan. Get something around your average, and any minutes you don't use get rolled over. I have thousands of minutes I can use whenever. No worries about going over minutes. PLUS I have unlimited data grandfathered in. Get rid of that text plan too. I use google voice for texting for free.
bretm is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:52 PM   #33
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God
 
LethalWolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Sure. Quote: "In a research note, Bernstein analyst Craig Moffett said Sprint faces two distinct outcomes. First, company upgrades it network, stabilizes Clearwire Corp.'s (CLWR) financial position and delivers compelling 4G offerings; in the other, the company suffocates under its hefty contract with Apple Inc. (AAPL), has a "hobbled" 4G offering and faces a heavy debt burden."

Link.
And for the people that aren't WSJ subscribers:

Yahoo news:

Quote:
.
.
.
"To be clear, we are not predicting a Sprint bankruptcy. We are merely acknowledging that it is a very legitimate risk. And notwithstanding a recent rally in Sprint shares, we believe that risk is rising," Moffett said in a research note.
.
.
.
Several other analysts said that they did not see Sprint filing for bankruptcy in the next few years even as they said that it has become a riskier bet since it unveiled big investment plans last October.
.
.
.
"The risk they could go bankrupt has gone up but that's a very very low risk," said Pacific Crest analyst Steve Clement, adding that Sprint's costly network investment should ultimately help it to run the company more efficiently.
__________________
Looking For Lenny - documentary about comedian Lenny Bruce's timeless impact on stand-up comedy & Free Speech.
Netflix, iTunes, Amazon, Hulu
LethalWolfe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:55 PM   #34
Konrad9
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisv View Post
I'm not on Sprint and I don't really know why but I'm kind of rooting for them.
Because competition is good for the consumer. Imagine if there was only 1 carrier in the US... we'd have 10kbps up/down speeds limited to 1megabyte of bandwidth per month for $100/month.
Konrad9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:19 PM   #35
hetrigger
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
Who wised up? The Verizon iPhone still uses Verizon 3G which doesn't support talk and surf. ATT iPhone supports a sort of HSPA+ which is faster than ATT 3G, which is still twice as fast as Verizon 3G, AND supports talk and surf. There really isn't any contest over the 4S. ATT is the only choice imo. Don't forget, ATT has ROLLOVER minutes! So you don't need to get some huge minute plan. Get something around your average, and any minutes you don't use get rolled over. I have thousands of minutes I can use whenever. No worries about going over minutes. PLUS I have unlimited data grandfathered in. Get rid of that text plan too. I use google voice for texting for free.
I thought Verizon was like that. As for the rest, I am in the same boat on minutes! I have lowered every thing I can on minutes! Data I am grandfathered in as well. The text is tricky as I have three lines and one of the phones is a basic phone that my kids use when they are out and about. I don't to buy another iPhone for them and add another data plan for them.
__________________
iMac 27"
iPhone 4 and 4s
iPod touch
To err is Human, to really foul things up, you need a computer!
hetrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:22 PM   #36
Boisv
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
ATT is the only choice imo.
I agree. I'm not in love with AT&T or anything, but as long as they're the only carrier offering talk & surf, in my eyes they're the only carrier offering the iPhone as a true smartphone. I use talk & surf all time, and not just for BS stuff during a conversation. It's helpful.

From the conversations I've had with people and from what I've read, AT&T seems to have the best data service, while Verizon has the best voice service. I want talk & surf with a reliable data connection. AT&T's voice service works well enough for me.
Boisv is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:24 PM   #37
AppleFan73
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetrigger View Post
I left Sprint due to the fact of where I lived. ATT was the only one that serviced our area consistently. Plus, with the iPhone, you wouldn't be able to talk and surf at the same time. Or am I wrong?
If you turn on Wi-Fi on Sprint iPhone, then it would work.
AppleFan73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:29 PM   #38
skellener
macrumors 65816
 
skellener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: So. Cal.
If Sprint has LTE by the time the iPhone LTE debuts, I'm in. The only thing that would sway me away would be an LTE iPhone on T-Mobile. There's is no way I am ever renewing with AT&T ever again.
__________________
2013 nMP iPhone 5 S⃣ iPad 2
skellener is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:48 PM   #39
MacAddict1978
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
T-Mobile?
T-Mobile is building an LTE network, and direly wants the phone. Though, it's LTE network won't go live until early 2013... about 3-4 months after an iPhone launch (if done in October again).

I would actually like to see them get the iPhone. When AT&T was the only carrier that had it, it wasn't as dire... but now being the only carrier without it, that's a bit tougher.

They did try to get this last iPhone, and Apple shot them down. Maybe merger issues? (Like why run a line to build T-Mobile compatible devices that would be unnecessary the following year?)

The sprint this is a waste of a post. Apple isn't going to make a non-LTE iPhone just for Sprint. Of course they get it being a partner already.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bheleu View Post
AT&T is not slated to have their LTE's completed until the end of 2013 as well (another T-Mobile deal????).
You're speaking of a full deployment. Meaning... over their entire network. By October, AT&T will be covering all the major metro areas. It's the people in the sticks who won't see it till the end of 2013, if at all. Not much off from Verizon either.

You always roll out in markets with high users bases first.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekRod View Post
No its a GSM variant so of course you can talk and surf it was always there
No, you're wrong. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA.

Only AT&T in the USA currently allows talk and data at the same time.

You will be correct, however, when an LTE iPhone hits the market (as one doesn't exist YET.)
MacAddict1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:00 PM   #40
hetrigger
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFan73 View Post
If you turn on Wi-Fi on Sprint iPhone, then it would work.
This was done years ago. Service for all carriers except ATT do not work out in the country. We have "wireless" internet now and even that service is spotty at best and they won't upgrade us as of yet to better service. That being said, we moved here years before we bought our first iPhone and when we had dial-up.

To date, ATT is the only one that works here.
__________________
iMac 27"
iPhone 4 and 4s
iPod touch
To err is Human, to really foul things up, you need a computer!
hetrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:17 PM   #41
AgentElliot007
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisv View Post
I'm not on Sprint and I don't really know why but I'm kind of rooting for them.
I've spent a good amount of time on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. AT&T is without a doubt my least favorite carrier, and while I'm a Verizon user today, I was quite happy with Sprint the last couple of years, and while they were not perfect, I feel like they really are trying. Their customer service improved dramatically 4-5 years ago when they got so much bad press, and in my experience after, they went above and beyond to make me happy and solve my problems. When I switched to Verizon for the iPhone last February, I felt bad leaving Sprint because I had a couple of complicated customer service experiences that they truly went above and beyond on. I called and made a point to tell them that I was leaving solely because of the iPhone, and that I was generally very happy with them as a company.

Their call quality wasn't as great as Verizon's (and in a few certain spotty areas could be terrible), but generally it was quite good for me. I never had much to complain about past BlackBerry device failures that you can't really blame on Sprint. Their data speeds were descent as well. Not quite as fast on 3G as Verizon, but on a phone, plenty usable at 1-2 Mbps on average. And again, much like Verizon, I got consistent service on Sprint BlackBerry's whereas with the AT&T iPhone 3G and 3GS, the data connection was for all intents and purposes useless on highways driving through less populated areas. It was so ridiculous to try to load things on an iPhone and have to switch over to a crappy BlackBerry, but that's AT&T for you.

What made Sprint's few shortcomings when comparing with Verizon more than easy to swallow was their great prices on plans and the fact that their plans offer a lot of content without the limits. They're simple and straightforward. I have very little bad to say about Sprint, and I too am certainly rooting for them.

(more on my experience with Verizon and AT&T below)

I'm currently (and finally thanks to the new iPad) completely locked into the Verizon network for everything. I have to say that it's by far the best network for call quality and general signal strength; I don't think I've ever really dropped more than a few calls on my Verizon iPhone now and I've had one since 7 AM on release day. And the new iPad on LTE is incredible; it's yet to have to switch over to 3G mode. But even if it does, Verizon 3G is literally just about everywhere in the USA, and it's a descent and very usable connection anywhere. But with Verizon, you definitely pay the price to have the best service, connection and at least in my experience, constistently great customer service.

With AT&T, I dropped calls all the time and had incredibly inconsistent voice quality. And while the data is great when you have a strong 3G signal in an area that's not too congested, that same 3G signal can easily be no better or worse than Verizon's slower but at least consistent signal. Sometimes it was far worse than Verizon's; almost useless to have 3G when half the time nothing loads or loads at sub-Edge speeds. Gotta love cities. And of course, Edge is basically useless, especially on the iPad, and it clicked into this far more often than I'd like even in fairly major metropolitan areas. And they were always *******s to me. On the phone, in stores, supervisors, managers, all unprofessional, rude, ignorant...pathetic customer service.
AgentElliot007 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:34 PM   #42
kc2kth
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
Who is on Sprint anyway?
I actually know several people here in NJ who swear by (not "at") Sprint. They are plenty happy with the coverage, speed, and device selection. Clearly Sprint does have it's following, and they aren't all NASCAR fans either!
kc2kth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:39 PM   #43
sha4000
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentElliot007 View Post
I've spent a good amount of time on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. AT&T is without a doubt my least favorite carrier, and while I'm a Verizon user today, I was quite happy with Sprint the last couple of years, and while they were not perfect, I feel like they really are trying. Their customer service improved dramatically 4-5 years ago when they got so much bad press, and in my experience after, they went above and beyond to make me happy and solve my problems. When I switched to Verizon for the iPhone last February, I felt bad leaving Sprint because I had a couple of complicated customer service experiences that they truly went above and beyond on. I called and made a point to tell them that I was leaving solely because of the iPhone, and that I was generally very happy with them as a company.

Their call quality wasn't as great as Verizon's (and in a few certain spotty areas could be terrible), but generally it was quite good for me. I never had much to complain about past BlackBerry device failures that you can't really blame on Sprint. Their data speeds were descent as well. Not quite as fast on 3G as Verizon, but on a phone, plenty usable at 1-2 Mbps on average. And again, much like Verizon, I got consistent service on Sprint BlackBerry's whereas with the AT&T iPhone 3G and 3GS, the data connection was for all intents and purposes useless on highways driving through less populated areas. It was so ridiculous to try to load things on an iPhone and have to switch over to a crappy BlackBerry, but that's AT&T for you.

What made Sprint's few shortcomings when comparing with Verizon more than easy to swallow was their great prices on plans and the fact that their plans offer a lot of content without the limits. They're simple and straightforward. I have very little bad to say about Sprint, and I too am certainly rooting for them.

(more on my experience with Verizon and AT&T below)

I'm currently (and finally thanks to the new iPad) completely locked into the Verizon network for everything. I have to say that it's by far the best network for call quality and general signal strength; I don't think I've ever really dropped more than a few calls on my Verizon iPhone now and I've had one since 7 AM on release day. And the new iPad on LTE is incredible; it's yet to have to switch over to 3G mode. But even if it does, Verizon 3G is literally just about everywhere in the USA, and it's a descent and very usable connection anywhere. But with Verizon, you definitely pay the price to have the best service, connection and at least in my experience, constistently great customer service.

With AT&T, I dropped calls all the time and had incredibly inconsistent voice quality. And while the data is great when you have a strong 3G signal in an area that's not too congested, that same 3G signal can easily be no better or worse than Verizon's slower but at least consistent signal. Sometimes it was far worse than Verizon's; almost useless to have 3G when half the time nothing loads or loads at sub-Edge speeds. Gotta love cities. And of course, Edge is basically useless, especially on the iPad, and it clicked into this far more often than I'd like even in fairly major metropolitan areas. And they were always *******s to me. On the phone, in stores, supervisors, managers, all unprofessional, rude, ignorant...pathetic customer service.
Very spot on reviews of all the carriers.
sha4000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:16 PM   #44
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC
[/COLOR]

No, you're wrong. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA.

Only AT&T in the USA currently allows talk and data at the same time.

You will be correct, however, when an LTE iPhone hits the market (as one doesn't exist YET.)[/QUOTE]
No your wrong.I wasn't talking about an iPhone I was talking strictly about LTE because someone said sprint wouldn't have simultaneous voice and data.Next time read the entire thread before you bash me.Verizon has LTE which is GSM everything else is CDMA
__________________
Honor Courage Commitment,US Navy
DerekRod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:14 PM   #45
BiggAW
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekRod View Post
[/COLOR]

No, you're wrong. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA.

Only AT&T in the USA currently allows talk and data at the same time.

You will be correct, however, when an LTE iPhone hits the market (as one doesn't exist YET.)
No your wrong.I wasn't talking about an iPhone I was talking strictly about LTE because someone said sprint wouldn't have simultaneous voice and data.Next time read the entire thread before you bash me.Verizon has LTE which is GSM everything else is CDMA[/QUOTE]

LTE is GSM compatible at the core network level, is interoperable with GSM infrastructure, and was also made by the 3GPP group but the air interface has no relation to GSM.

Currently, Verizon supports simultaneous voice and data with voice running through CDMA 1x and data through LTE, or through EVDO on a few phones that support SVDO. The iPhone doesn't support SVDO. I *think* Sprint phones would do simultaneous with WiMAX, but I'm not sure, and that coverage area is very limited. AT&T and T-Mobile support both through HSPA+.

You could say Verizon and Sprint don't really support simultaneous, since they use two separate radios, but the functionality is the same to the customer, except for insane battery drain of running two radio systems simultaneously.
__________________
MBP 15", 2,2 i7, 8GB ram, 10.7.x
500GB Samsung 840 in Optibay (Boot), 640GB HDD (storage)
Black iPhone 4S 64GB AT&T 7.0.4 JB'ed, 2GB Data Pro
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sprint iphone 5s carrier options? Jasper84 iPhone 8 Nov 10, 2013 10:50 PM
iPhone: Sprint iPhone 4S Carrier Bundles ogremoustro Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 10 Nov 4, 2013 11:24 AM
Apple Must Approve Carrier LTE Networks Before Allowing iPhone 5 to Connect to Them MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 112 Dec 4, 2012 03:15 PM
Apple Details iPhone 5 LTE Carrier Compatibility MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 114 Oct 1, 2012 06:07 PM
Are three the only carrier in the UK that will have LTE with the iphone 5? The Game 161 iPhone 9 Sep 15, 2012 08:59 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC