Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Maybe I'm a bit out of touch in regards to how the legality of MP3s is at the moment, but would whatever music I ripped from my CDs suddenly become illegal or illegitimate if I sell off said CDs?

Reticent

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
Denver
Maybe I'm a bit out of touch in regards to how the legality of MP3s is at the moment, but would whatever music I ripped from my CDs suddenly become illegal or illegitimate if I sell off said CDs?

I believe that to answer that question, you need to hire a lawyer.

As a lawyer, but not one in this speciality at all and having no knowledge or experience about the matter, I would say that you have probably lost the right to listen to that music. I believe that the principles of property law and intellectual property law would back me up on this.

The real question, I think, is who will enforce it. Who will spend the money and time to determine whether all of us have the real legal rights to all of the music that we claim that we do. That would be an administrative nightmare to achieve regulation on that matter. So... not as your attorney, I would say don't throw anything away that you've got. As an attorney (not yours because you haven't paid :p) don't buy new CDs then go back and sell them away after you've ripped them and gotten the advantage of iCloud.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Interesting. I guess it wouldn't hurt to hold onto them for another year or two and see if there are any changes. Does anyone else have any other opinions?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have kept all mine, although they are never used any longer...I think the deal is if you OWN the physical copy you are okay...It becomes a grey area if you sell them because then somebody else owns them.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
It's illegal. But you're gonna get away with it so unless you're like me, someone who is super anal about their music collection, I wouldn't worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.