Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:13 AM   #26
playtillyadrop
macrumors member

if you go to netflix.com i think its under your account settings you can change the bandwidth limitation for your account.
playtillyadrop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:26 AM   #27
Tawmus
macrumors newbie

Hm. Maybe OpenDNS?

Tawmus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:39 AM   #28
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheo View Post
I'm finding Netflix goes down on ATV while being up on other devices. Very odd.
Smooth as silk on my ATV3 ( hard wired ) and my ATV 2 ( wifi ) as Jessica posted, it's your Internet / router.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:00 AM   #29
striker33
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Smooth as silk on my ATV3 ( hard wired ) and my ATV 2 ( wifi ) as Jessica posted, it's your Internet / router.
So then it IS a problem with the ATV.

The fact that so many other devices work perfectly fine with HD streaming on Netflix says it all really. Something seriously wrong on Apple's side.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:08 AM   #30
heliocentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker33 View Post
So then it IS a problem with the ATV.

The fact that so many other devices work perfectly fine with HD streaming on Netflix says it all really. Something seriously wrong on Apple's side.
If it's OK on everyone else's ATV but not yours would that not suggest their is a problem your end?

Maybe your other devices are just more efficient at using your 6Mbps internet connection compared to the ATV which might for some reason require a quicker connection...
heliocentric is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:16 AM   #31
striker33
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliocentric View Post
If it's OK on everyone else's ATV but not yours would that not suggest their is a problem your end?

Maybe your other devices are just more efficient at using your 6Mbps internet connection compared to the ATV which might for some reason require a quicker connection...
I can stream iTunes movies at 1080p perfectly fine, despite Apple claiming 8mbps was reccommended.

If Netflix is so ineffective on the ATV, then its a problem on Apple's end.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:54 AM   #32
heliocentric

Quote:
I can stream iTunes movies at 1080p perfectly fine, despite Apple claiming 8mbps was reccommended.

Everyone is stating its ok for them on their atv though...

Maybe apple are just picking on you
heliocentric is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:55 AM   #33
Cheffy Dave
macrumors 68020

just a thought.........

If you are using it wirelessly, try plugging it in via Eithernet cable, its the way I use mine, and the picture is stunning
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:50 AM   #34
striker33
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliocentric View Post
Everyone is stating its ok for them on their atv though...

Maybe apple are just picking on you
Actually a couple of people have already said they have similar issues

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheffy Dave View Post
If you are using it wirelessly, try plugging it in via Eithernet cable, its the way I use mine, and the picture is stunning
I just tried there, apart from it being ever so slightly more snappy, as expected, there was no improvement in video quality.

I honestly dont know why its refusing to play above SD quality. Apple told me to contact Netflix, and Netflix gave me loads of automated answers.

Its definitely nothing to do with network speeds or my internet. If a Windows PC using a cheap 5 wireless dongle with only a single bar of signal can stream HD fine, theres no reason why the same shouldnt apply to my ATV.

I'm not even sure how to go about returning the thing. I'm pretty sure the staff at Argos won't have a clue what streaming means.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:52 AM   #35
steve-p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The Netflix client for Apple TV may be using a different codec (H.264) compared to the VC-1 Microsoft derived codec that they like to use on other platforms. Perhaps H.264 uses slightly more bandwidth and would take your connection over the point at which Netflix degrades in quality. It certainly looks fine on my ATV3 with 24 mbps bandwidth available.
steve-p is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:52 AM   #36
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

Quote:
i see one post that the poster like his ATV2 better than his ATV3 is that what you mean by a couple poeple said they have similar issues ?

how about this, some things are defective, bring it back and stop whining on the webernets

i still think 6mpbs is a slow internet connection thats the basic plan here in Canada
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:53 AM   #37
P0stalTek
macrumors regular

But many more have said their ATV 3 was fine. Just saying, being stubborn because you don't like the answers you are getting seems counter-intuitive.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:57 AM   #38
Irishman
macrumors 68020

Fire up your web browser, and go to your Netflix homepage. Make sure you're logged into your account, and go into the settings menu.

Somewhere in there is an option to set the quality of your streams globally, regardless of device. See if it's set to its best quality. If not, make it so.

This has helped many people.

----------

Quote:

It is more likely - seeing as the VAST majority of people are NOT having this problem - that the problem is something at your end (either your network hardware, settings, Netflix settings, HDMI cable, OR a lemon ATV3).
Irishman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:59 AM   #39
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

Quote:

----------

I just tried there, apart from it being ever so slightly more snappy, as expected, there was no improvement in video quality.

I honestly dont know why its refusing to play above SD quality. Apple told me to contact Netflix, and Netflix gave me loads of automated answers.

Its definitely nothing to do with network speeds or my internet. If a Windows PC using a cheap 5 wireless dongle with only a single bar of signal can stream HD fine, theres no reason why the same shouldnt apply to my ATV.

I'm not even sure how to go about returning the thing. I'm pretty sure the staff at Argos won't have a clue what streaming means.
thats meaninless, its absolutely possible 1 device requires a stonger connection than another regardless of the price
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:12 AM   #40
striker33
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0stalTek View Post
But many more have said their ATV 3 was fine. Just saying, being stubborn because you don't like the answers you are getting seems counter-intuitive.
I'm not being stubborn.

I'm simply looking for advice on ways to resolve the issue, not 2 pages of posts saying its my internet, or elitists trying to act big and clever by saying they have super fast internet and huge TV's.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:19 AM   #41
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

Quote:
I'm not being stubborn.

I'm simply looking for advice on ways to resolve the issue, not 2 pages of posts saying its my internet, or elitists trying to act big and clever by saying they have super fast internet and huge TV's.
have you tried control alt delete?? that fixes most things

or

up up down down left right left right b, a, start?

oh waith tahts 99 lives in Contra

what about returning it? does this fix not exisit in the UK?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:34 AM   #42
Lunchbox700
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheo View Post
I'm finding Netflix goes down on ATV while being up on other devices. Very odd.
I'm having the same problem it drops after two minutes , and works fine on other devices . Honestly I understand that some people want the world to go all digital , but I'm ok with how things are . Too many variables it totally could be on my end and may never fix it it will just work.
Lunchbox700 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:12 AM   #43
P0stalTek
macrumors regular

2 pages of people telling you it's a problem on your end and you blatantly refuse to believe it. That is the definition of stubborn.

So are you just waiting for someone to say Apple sucks? Wrong forum.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:52 AM   #44
striker33
macrumors 65816

After spending 2 hours on the phone to Apple and Netflix, it turns out my ATV3 is limiting the bandwidth for Netflix streaming only. Netflix cant do anything about it on their end, and Apple don't know what is causing the issue.

I'll update later on any fix or solution to the problem, should someone have similar problems down the line.

Seems to be a very rare problem. Along with my returned iPad, its been a very bad month for buying Apple products.

Why always me?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0stalTek View Post
2 pages of people telling you it's a problem on your end and you blatantly refuse to believe it. That is the definition of stubborn.

So are you just waiting for someone to say Apple sucks? Wrong forum.
Refer to my post above, and you will see the irony.

Excuse me while I get my violin.

P.s. If you are offended by my previous post, I'd suggest crying elsewhere.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:51 PM   #45
jetlife2
macrumors regular

interesting

Quote:
it turns out my ATV3 is limiting the bandwidth for Netflix streaming only.
Interesting, can you share how they deduced that?

Do you plan to exchange the unit? If you get 1080p OK from itunes it seems your network is OK. Wondering if this is a problem with this one unit or if the software demands for Netflix streaming are higher such that your 6M is adequate for one and not the other.

There is a "test network" option in the ATV menu, what does that yield?

Keep us up to date

Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:29 PM   #46
darster
macrumors 68000

Do you have a micro usb cable? They usually come with most mobile phones. Connect your ATV3 to your computer via that cable and restore as new through iTunes. You don't need to connect the power cord to the ATV3 to do this. Many times this resolves the problem as you start fresh.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:58 AM   #47
Cheffy Dave
macrumors 68020

Quote:

----------

I see what you mean! I watched a trailer on my ATV, then watched the same trailer on my Roku Box with Amazon, the ROKU Box wins hands down, razor sharp, both are connected via Eithernet. So is this a Netflix problem?or a ATV problem, dunno, but streaming on ROKU is the way to go
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:25 PM   #48
slffl
macrumors 65816

I gotta say I'm returning the Apple TV as it's unable to stream Netflix (not to mention other reasons I'm disappointed)

I have tried 3 different DNS, I've changed the streaming quality on my Netflix account, I've turned off all other internet devices, the ATV is hardwired to an airport extreme, and it STILL buffers while streaming Netflix.

Here's a speed test I did while it was streaming. I can't wait for you know-it-alls to try and tell me it's MY problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0934.PNG
Views:	59
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	333124  

Last edited by slffl; Mar 29, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
slffl is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:50 PM   #49
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by slffl View Post
I gotta say I'm returning the Apple TV as it's unable to stream Netflix (not to mention other reasons I'm disappointed)

I have tried 3 different DNS, I've changed the streaming quality on my Netflix account, I've turned off all other internet devices, the ATV is hardwired to an airport extreme, and it STILL buffers while streaming Netflix.

Here's a speed test I did while it was streaming. I can't wait for you know-it-alls to try and tell me it's MY problem.
Ah, thats your problem. You are using speed test which really only tells you the speed from your isp to your house. Not the speed from your isp to the Netflix servers. Either way, you should still be able to get some HD material at times. You just may have a bad ATV. Exchange it and try again. Yes, I know it may be shocking, but sometimes you can get a defective apple device.
darster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:42 AM   #50
Irishman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheffy Dave View Post
I see what you mean! I watched a trailer on my ATV, then watched the same trailer on my Roku Box with Amazon, the ROKU Box wins hands down, razor sharp, both are connected via Eithernet. So is this a Netflix problem?or a ATV problem, dunno, but streaming on ROKU is the way to go
I think you're getting carried away and piling on a problem that hasn't been properly diagnosed, truth to tell. Firstly, Netflix doesn't feature movie trailers on the ATV, so you couldn't have viewed it there. (I don't know if Netflix on Roku does or not - I don't know what would be the point as you already get a la carte). Trailers are designed to entice you to buy or rent a title, which is why I'm thinking you had to have viewed it on something other than Netflix.

It couldn't be that you're trolling, could it?

Last edited by Irishman; Mar 30, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Irishman is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater