Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
What marketing are you speaking of from Apple that does not have the disclaimer?

You keep talking about the disclaimer. Let's say that Apple created an iPad that uses the European LTE frequency so it works on their LTE networks. Then, without making any changes to the device, they marketed it here in the US as a 4G LTE device, but included a tiny disclaimer at the bottom of the website saying that it only does LTE in Europe. Everyone here in the US would buy it, and everyone here in the US, including you, would be pissed off.

Yes, the disclaimer might be there on the website. And yes, people should read disclaimers. But not everyone orders from the website. Even if they do, the fact is that the websites are directed towards different countries. Apple can change the prices on the UK website so that they're in pounds instead of dollars. But they leave the same LTE claims on there, knowing that it won't work in the country they're selling it in. That's wrong. Legally it MIGHT be just enough to keep them from getting in real trouble, but it seems very, very shady to the people purchasing the device. Apple should take the high road here and change their advertising in the countries that can't make use of the 4G LTE that it offers.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
My two cents is:

That Apple will not have any large financial liability as a result of this.

Apple will be required to correct their advertising.

Apple did a sloppy job in wording their advertising for non U.S. locations.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
First off I live in Sweden. The problem up here is that Apple are calling it WiFi+4G. But 4G in Sweden equals LTE and the iPad doesn't support the LTE frequencies we use, so WiFi+4G is misleading. Because of our strict consumer laws I am sure Apple will be forced to change the name to WiFi+3G.

they are calling it the new iPad.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Seriously????? You can't click it so it is not good enough? That is ridiculous.

Seems it isn't to all these consumer protection agencies, or otherwise, we wouldn't have these threads.

I did read your full post, you mentioned the footnote when responding to someone else, not me.

No, I mentionned the footnote when replying to you. Obviously, you did not read my post.

And yes, again, I linked the UK website where it clearly states "Up to 4G LTE". They do mention it in several areas of their UK site. I posted a link and a quote.

Again, you obviously have not read my post in your haste to reply and "defend" Apple. Let it go, they made a marketing oopsie and are catching flak for it. They'll adjust and move on. It's no big deal for them, they won't go out of business over it, no need to get so frenzied about it like you've been in this thread.

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
To be honest with you, the countries that see fit to file suit against Apple in the 4G claim need to extend it to every carrier that does the same.

Again, let them all return their iPads for a full refund if they feel mislead, and they can go get the other 4G tablet. Which is ....

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
Does anyone know if other companies are advertising HSPA+ devices as 4G in Europe and Australia and if so if its been deemed ok to do this? If so Apple should be fine.

here in the UK nothing is marketed as 4G, HSPA+ is barely marketed at all and when it is it is called only 'HSPA+ is a faster form of 3G'.

even LTE is not referenced as 4G and mainly just called LTE.

perhaps it's just us in the UK but we don't put much weight on meaningless 'Gs' perhaps it's because our marketers respect the consumer and don't try to force feed meaningless 'G' numbers (esp in the case of HSPA+ which really isn't '4G')

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
To be honest with you, the countries that see fit to file suit against Apple in the 4G claim need to extend it to every carrier that does the same.

Apple is not a carrier. Apple is a handset manufacturer. Can you point out other handset manufacturers that do the same ?

If the agencies were at all smart, they wouldn't. Seriously, let the company sell their products.

No one is trying to prevent companies from selling their products. Agencies are simply enforcing consumer right laws, especially where it pertains to advertising. :rolleyes:

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Exscuse me?

I think your find the US is the fault for the frequency fragmentation, all carriers in the EU use the same frequency bands, then the US started to launch GSM networks on weird wacky frequencies.

Yeah but you don't really look to the EU for technology breakthroughs or new consumer tech roll-out. It's nothing personal, it's just the way it is.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI

Again, let them all return their iPads for a full refund if they feel mislead, and they can go get the other 4G tablet. Which is ....

I think it's doubtful that very many people will return their new iPads because of this. That still doesn't change the fact that the way Apple is marketing it outside of the US and Canada is misleading. My guess is that Apple will be asked to change their marketing campaign to more clearly explain the 4G thing, they'll change it, and this mess will be over with.

Therbo

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
United Kingdom

flynndean

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
London, England
So I can't criticize but you can? Thanks for filling me in on that little tidbit. Also, your analogy is so far off it is not even funny. Those would be two sophisticated companies negotiating and a class action lawsuit would require more than one company suing another company. And you better believe they would pore over the contract first and read all the "fine print".

I didn't criticise anybody and was very careful with my wording so as to make sure that I didn't. In fact, I'm not attempting to voice an opinion either way, just highlighting my interpretation of the situation based on my own experience. If you have been offended in any way, please feel free to highlight the offending passage and I'll be the first to back down.

One thing I would note is that every analogy eventually breaks down, particularly if you have a preconceived view that is going to help it fall over. You found issue with the fact that I used companies to analogise my experiences, well done in finding a fault with the analogy, I'm very pleased for you.

My point was that as a consumer, I should have the same if not MORE rights than a business, and I should certainly have agencies, authorities and avenues to make my concerns known so as to highlight the malpractice of companies that sell to me. It regulates and rationalises the practices of companies and keeps them in check, so that no other people are avoidably misled.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
My two cents is:

That Apple will not have any large financial liability as a result of this.

Apple will be required to correct their advertising.

Apple did a sloppy job in wording their advertising for non U.S. locations.

exactly, apple should have just produced a ton of '3G' stickers to stick over the '4G' logo in every country outside North America, and consequently called it the WiFi+3G in all the effected countries.

the fact that apple decided to call it the WiFi+4G in countries outside North America is just apple being difficult.

everyone with a little common sense can see that.

endoscient

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2005
I hear all these complaints about US carriers calling stuff 4G that isn't, but they make no sense to me. You have technology that offers download speeds that are on the low end 3x faster and on the high end 10x faster. When something is that much faster it makes no sense to keep calling it the same level technology.

Therbo

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
United Kingdom
exactly, apple should have just produced a ton of '3G' stickers to stick over the '4G' logo in every country outside North America, and consequently called it the WiFi+3G in all the effected countries.

the fact that apple decided to call it the WiFi+4G in countries outside North America is just apple being difficult.

everyone with a little common sense can see that.

Or they could just print 3G and put 4G stickers over the top?

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted

If your not happy return it. That's what most would do with any other product. When any product describes with "up to" anything you the consumer should see if the feature is available in your area or country if you don't then that's back on you for buying into the hype and not checking into things before you buy. Buyers remorse anyone?

flynndean

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
London, England
Wirelessly posted

If your not happy return it. That's what most would do with any other product. When any product describes with "up to" anything you the consumer should see if the feature is available in your area or country if you don't then that's back on you for buying into the hype and not checking into things before you buy. Buyers remorse anyone?

And if I shoot you and then apologise, will that be okay in the eyes of the authorities too?

How about I just don't shoot you in the first place? That'd be better for everyone concerned right? And if I'm absolutely compelled to shoot you, shouldn't I at least encounter some kind of retribution?

Slovak

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
This means I should be able to sue every sports car manufacturer that shows an ad with their car going 100+ mph. My country/state/city doesn't have suitable roads and/or arbitrarily low speed limits. Waaaah!

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Wirelessly posted

The complaints are about the situation where Apple says "up to 4G LTE", you know you have 4G LTE where you live, but then it turns out they're incompatible.

This means I should be able to sue every sports car manufacturer that shows an ad with their car going 100+ mph. My country/state/city doesn't have suitable roads and/or arbitrarily low speed limits. Waaaah!

That analogy is as wrong now is it was yesterday. The complaints are about Apple marketing a feature that IS available in that area but still doesn't work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.