Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, we reported that Apple CEO Tim Cook has shown up in Beijing, posing for photos with customers at the company's Xidan Joy City retail store as part of a trip to meet with unspecified "Chinese officials" as disclosed by an Apple spokesperson.

Over the past several days, media reports have revealed that Cook has been meeting with several government officials in China, with IDG News Service reporting yesterday that Cook had met with Beijing mayor Guo Jinlong to discuss further cooperation.
Beijing mayor Guo Jinlong, who met Cook on Monday afternoon, said he hoped Apple and Beijing could take further steps to deepen the company's cooperation with the capital. Beijing's top schools, rich talent, and market potential, makes the city ideal to develop the IT industry, he added.

The brief report from the Beijing Daily did not elaborate more on Apple's cooperation with Beijing.
cook_li.jpg
Apple CEO Tim Cook and Chinese Vice Premier Li Keqiang (Source: Zuma Press)
The Wall Street Journal also reports that Cook met with Chinese Vice Premier Li Keqiang, discussing intellectual property issues and other topics of mutual interest.
Apple Inc. Chief Executive Tim Cook met with Chinese Vice Premier Li Keqiang to discuss intellectual-property issues and greater cooperation, according to state media report. It was the strongest signal yet that the company is strengthening ties in a market it long neglected.

The executive met with Mr. Li, who is expected to be named premier next year, on Tuesday, state radio and television reported. "China will create a good environment for and strengthen the protection of intellectual-property rights for fair competition among various enterprises including foreign and domestic ones, according to the Chinese law," Mr. Li said, according to Wednesday's report.
With intellectual property issues being one of the highlighted topics of discussion between Cook and Li, it seems likely that the two addressed the ongoing iPad trademark dispute that has seen Proview seeking up to $2 billion from Apple in exchange for the Chinese rights to the name. Apple claims that it already legally acquired the trademark in a broader rights deal and that Proview and its subsidiaries are colluding to extort considerably more money from Apple for the Chinese rights.

Update: Sources have indicated to AllThingsD that Cook also met with executives at China Mobile, the world's largest carrier. Apple has yet to launch the iPhone on the carrier, likely due at least in part due to the need for specialized hardware to run on its 3G network.
Sources say Cook visited China Mobile's Beijing offices, and while they offered no details beyond that, it's not much of a leap to conclude that he was there to talk about the iPhone, which is currently offered by China Mobile rivals China Unicom and China Telecom.
Apple and China Mobile have been in discussions for several years, and Cook was seen at the carrier's headquarters last June, but no deal has yet been struck.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Meets with Beijing Mayor, Chinese Vice Premier During Visit

rednic

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2003
kanada
The suit....

Sorry but steve would have been wearing turtle neck and Jeans ... thats what made him so cool.

ajphares

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
I always find the pictures where one guy is looking into one camera and the other guy is looking into another camera awkward.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I miss Steve. There's something fishy about Tim Cook.

True! He probably ate Sushi before the photo.

Tim's looking sharp, and the Mayor opened his eyes big and wide.

Tim is trying hard to step into Steve's shoes to gain Apple's fans' approval.

To many people, Steve Jobs was Apple, and Apple was Steve Jobs.
It's a very difficult concept to change, so anything Tim does is throughly scrutinized and compared to 'what would Steve have done instead'.

At the same time, he's trying to be himself, and not a copy of Steve Jobs.
I'm sure he wants to be respected and remembered for who he is and how he did things after Steve's passing.
I just hope he continues making the right decisions.

mwxiao

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
CT
Looks like Cook knows the way to do biz in China: having a good relationship with the government. I see the iPad trademark issue resolved shortly.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
True! He probably ate Sushi before the photo.

Tim's looking sharp, and the Mayor opened his eyes big and wide.

Tim is trying hard to step into Steve's shoes to gain Apple's fans' approval.

To many people, Steve Jobs was Apple, and Apple was Steve Jobs.
It's a very difficult concept to change, so anything Tim does is throughly scrutinized and compared to 'what would Steve have done instead'.

At the same time, he's trying to be himself, and not a copy of Steve Jobs.
I'm sure he wants to be respected and remembered for who he is and how he did things after Steve's passing.
I just hope he continues making the right decisions.

It's tricky. For myself, I can't help but feel this type of stuff is more typical of regular companies. I like Tim, I like how things are going so far, but I hope they know that trying a few bold 'hungry' and 'foolish' ideas now and then might be a good idea.

And for the record? All the sushi I've had in China isn't that great. It's better in the states. ^_^;

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Spiffy!

Those aren't matching ties and they aren't even bow ties!!! Get some glasses!!!

Yep, and Tim Cook's tie (American style) runs right shoulder -> left side. The Chinese VP wears the Euro style left shoulder -> right side.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sorry but steve would have been wearing turtle neck and Jeans ... thats what made him so cool.
Er so what would Steve have said about Jony Ive at the White House in a tuxedo. Is that uncool too? Considering the setting I think it was appropriate for Cook to be in a suit and tie.

600x.jpg

zoetmb

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007

Steve Jobs was an incredible, amazing genius who can never be replaced, but his need to wear exactly the same outfit every day bordered on an anal-compulsive disorder. There's a time and place for everything and when one meets with the leaders of a foreign country, it's appropriate to wear a business suit.

But what I find interesting about this Tim Cook meeting is that if you replace Tim Cook's name with Barack Obama or any senior member of the administration, it still sounds perfectly reasonable. So I use this to conclude that Apple is eventually going to take over the U.S. Government (with or without China) because between them, they practically own the U.S. anyway. :D

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Sushi is Japanese cuisine, not Chinese. :D

Believe it or not, Sushi existed in China before Japan. But it was nothing like the sushi we know today.

I just always found it surprising that visiting a city like Shanghai (Port city, Asian continent) usually had substandard dining offerings for my favorite cuisine. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.