Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

siri_app_icon-150x150.jpg

Network World reports on a keynote speech given in Chicago yesterday by Siri co-founder Dag Kittlaus in which he described some of the early developments that ultimately led to Apple acquiring the company and folding the technology into the iPhone 4S. According to Kittlaus, Steve Jobs personally contacted him just three weeks after Siri launched its iPhone app back in 2010 to set up a meeting that started their relationship.
And he wanted me to come over to his house the next day, and I did, and I spent 3 hours with him in front of his fireplace having this surreal conversation about the future.

And, you know, he talked about why Apple was going to win, and we talked about how Siri was doing. And he was very excited about the fact that.. you know, he was very interested in this area in general but, you know, they're patient, they don't jump on anything until they feel they can go after something new and he felt that we cracked it. So that was his attraction.
Kittlaus noted that Jobs initially wasn't enamored with the "Siri" name, but under persistent support from Kittlaus and with a failure to come up with an alternative he liked better, Jobs eventually decided to keep the name when the feature launched on the iPhone 4S last October.

Siri's iPhone app launched in February 2010, and Apple acquired the company less than three months later. Kittlaus worked at Apple until last October, when he left to pursue other opportunities and be closer to his family in Chicago.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Contacted Siri Just Three Weeks After App's Initial Launch, Disliked the Name

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
And thus the story of the inception of one more iPhone feature I'll never use. :D

Tony

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
That's what I like about Apple. They generally don't jump into things until they're ready to go. Sure, sometimes the servers get overloaded and Siri takes a while, but other than that, Siri is pretty good. Its because of this that I think the new TV is truly going to be revolutionary, otherwise Apple simply wouldn't do it.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Wonder if Siri will run even worse when it's added to the new iPhone (5th Gen)

Steve would never let this inconsistent performance continue.

God rest his soul.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
You're in the minority then.

Actually kind of surprised the Steve couldn't come up with an alternative.

are you sure about that? ive yet to see anyone use it in public. the only time i use it is when i click the button for too long or need a alarm set, thats about it

ironically the stand alone siri app was capable of so much more than the apple version

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
I'm not thrilled with the name Siri, I found it a surprising choice. (Funny about the Japanese Translation too.)
Still the main thing is that Steve had the foresight to acquire the company and its Tech to keep it out of the hands of rivals. Good Strategy! It's also an amazing feature in that it supports any language.

MrPhineas

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
*Mr. Kittlaus comes into Jobs' house*
Jobs: «Welcome to my reality distorsion field, please come in.»

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
Give it time Pumpkin

are you sure about that? ive yet to see anyone use it in public. the only time i use it is when i click the button for too long or need a alarm set, thats about it

ironically the stand alone siri app was capable of so much more than the apple version

Siri is still in Beta. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.