Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Business Insider reports on a new research note from Hong Kong-based research firm CLSA claiming that Apple's much-rumored television set is likely to debut in 2013 rather than the late 2012 timeframe that has been suggested by several other reports. CLSA is also one of a number of analyst firms that believe Foxconn's investment in Sharp is likely tied to potential for an Apple television.
We continue to view Apple TV hardware as a 2013 event.

The timing of Hon Hai/Foxconn's equity stake and partnership with Sharp along with Hon Hai Chairman Terry Gou's separate 46.5% investment in Sharp's Sakai City plant lends further credibility that Apple TV is in the works. This also follows reports that Apple is investing ~$1.3bn in equipment destined for Sharp facilities.
CLSA does not offer a specific rationale for its belief that the Apple television won't debut until next year, but a number of rumors from last year suggested that it could appear in either late 2012 or early 2013. More recent reports have claimed that component suppliers have already begun moving parts for the Apple television, with a launch potentially coming in the fourth quarter of this year.

apple_tv_2012_interface-500x308.jpg

CLSA does not have a particularly prolific track record, but the only previous report we have on record from the firm is an incorrect one from June 2011 claiming that an LTE-equipped iPad would launch ahead of the 2011 holiday season. The new iPad with LTE support of course didn't launch until earlier this month.

Article Link: Analyst Speculation Points to 2013 for Launch of Apple Television Set

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
The title should read "Analyst dart landed on 2013 this month for the Launch of Apple Television Set"

That's pretty much what it feels like they are doing.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
If this "Apple Television Set" is nothing more than Apple TV integrated into a regular TV with maybe Siri, I'm gonna be majorly disappointed.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
"More recent reports have claimed that component suppliers have already begun moving parts for the Apple television."

and what are those parts?

A fairly standard LCD panel,
the guts of an :apple:TV3,
and an apple logo'd bezel?

compared to a lot of other projects, this one seems like it'd be pretty easy to keep quiet till the last minute.

scrapple

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2004
If this "Apple Television Set" is nothing more than Apple TV integrated into a regular TV with maybe Siri, I'm gonna be majorly disappointed.

Here is what it will be:

1. Basically APPLETV integrated, but with a joystick so you can play apps like angry birds (although the remote Ipod touch mentioned below could also be used as a joystick, ala a joystick app).
2. Siri compatible
3. The remote that comes with the tv will be an ipod touch with the remote app and the joystick app and a tv guide app. The joystick app will basically make the ipod touch screen look like a old NES joystick so you can control the game apps on the tv set.

Apple realizes that every person in the world needs tv, and when tv sets bring in profit of like 400%, plus the fact that they take 30% off the app's profit, its an easy cash money machine.

Ill stick with my 65" 3d plasma panasonic and my xbox 360 and the future Xbox 360 mini and my new apple tv 1080p version.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Not, but if they have a 60 inch I would consider it. :rolleyes:

Goes agains Apple but its fun to speculate. ;)

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
iPhone launched 2007
iPad launched 2010
iTelevision launching 2013

New products every 3 years.

Gives them chance to focus the spotlight on that product for 3 years before the next big thing comes along.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
"More recent reports have claimed that component suppliers have already begun moving parts for the Apple television."

and what are those parts?

A fairly standard LCD panel,
the guts of an :apple:TV3,
and an apple logo'd bezel?

compared to a lot of other projects, this one seems like it'd be pretty easy to keep quiet till the last minute.

Its more that :apple: is not doing anything yet, but is messing with competition as they have done before. :apple: does enjoy doing this. They have projects that will never see the light of day, but that is what R&D is all about, trying things out and seeing what works.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
I'm still skeptical on this one. The largest TV manufacturers have been losing money for the past 4–5 years on their TV business because prices are too low and there's an over–supply of TV–manufacturing plants.

What exactly would Apple bring to the table? An even cheaper TV? A very expensive TV? Would people suddenly ditch their current LCD/LED TV for an Apple–branded display?

Last edited:

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL

If that's the case, I would be more impressed if Apple started to license their Apple TV software to select TV manufacturers. Not only would this give the consumer a broader selection, but I'm sure the prices would be more favorable than with an Apple-branded TV set. Think of how many iOS device owners this would bring compatibility to.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Given Apple's penchant for for, how shall I say this, fulsome pricing... I can't imagine what a 55" Apple TV Set might cost.

A little frightening to consider.:rolleyes:

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011

I concur. I really hope it is more than an integrated Apple TV because that would not be revolutionary enough to help AAPL hit $1000.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I'm still skeptical on this one. The largest TV manufacturers have been losing money for the past 4–5 years on their TV business because prices are too low and there's an over–supply of TV–manufacturing plants.

What exactly would Apple bring to the table? An even cheaper TV? A very expensive TV? Would people suddenly ditch their current LCD/LED TV for an Apple–branded display?

I agree with you. It seems like this is one market that would be very challenging for Apple to take on unless, of course, they have some major plans for how they plan to revolutionize the way we watch TV. They proved themselves with the iPod and iPhone, two markets that were saturated with an endless amount of options, so who's not to say they can't or won't change how we see TV in the near future. But, if an Apple-branded display with Apple TV software is all they have to offer, I think it'd be wiser for them to license out their Apple TV & AirPlay to existing manufacturers.

mertyz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
iPhone launched 2007
iPad launched 2010
iTelevision launching 2013

New products every 3 years.

Gives them chance to focus the spotlight on that product for 3 years before the next big thing comes along.

MacBook Air launched in 2008 :p

So they release a new product after X years from the previous one where X is incremented by 1 each time.

2007 - 2008 - 2010 - 2013 - 2017 - 2022

Maybe around 2022 they may release the iPad Mini just to make Digitimes happy.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
sooo hmm apple tv will be a huge retina esq screen with built in tuner and apple TV capabilities??? hmm im getting 32" at $999:cool:

PlutoPrime

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009

iTV will be less about the hardware and software than people think.

Yes, there will be beautiful hardware, and some interesting innovations on the remote interaction. But it'll primarily be about change in content delivery.

The concept of channels will disappear.

You will specifically search for & subscribe to the smallest common denominator: The shows themselves.

iTV will be as much about how apple manages to get content licensing deals as it is about getting out a new sexy hardware. The whole ecosystem needs to evolve for the hardware to be anything more than a giant Apple Cinema display with an Apple TV integrated inside it.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Here is what it will be:

Apple realizes that every person in the world needs tv, and when tv sets bring in profit of like 400%, plus the fact that they take 30% off the app's profit, its an easy cash money machine.

As somebody who was in the industry for close to 10years, I still find it hilarious when people say this. It's a well known fact that there is little to no profit in televisions which is why so many people couldn't get their head around why Apple would even CONSIDER getting into the industry since they're used to their 30-40% profit margins. Even Samsung (most likely the largest TV manufacturer) is spinning off their LCD division because of profit losses. If Apple goes the OLED route they may remain competitive for the first 3 months until the rest of the television market starts on the "race to the bottom" that occurs like clock work every year. Televisions have become nothing more then a loss leader. If Apple does it they may need to take the Kindle Fire route and sell the TV's at cost to make money off of services. I'm still of the belief that they'll stick with the Set-Top-Box and this "New Apple TV" that's being rumored will be a new streaming service and not an actual TV set. To me that is far more exciting.

SanderEvers

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Netherlands
MacBook Air launched in 2008 :p

So they release a new product after X years from the previous one where X is incremented by 1 each time.

2007 - 2008 - 2010 - 2013 - 2017 - 2022

Maybe around 2022 they may release the iPad Mini just to make Digitimes happy.

No.. In 2022 they will have cloned Steve Jobs' DNA and created a pure evil person who will rule the world from 2033 onward. (and sells Samsung phones)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.