Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waynep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
I got a new iPad in the 16th and a loving it. I am learning how to do different things and would like to really try to use it to it's full potential. I read a lot about Goodreader on here and understand that you can markup pdf files and us it a a central location to store files. I bought it tonight and have a few files loaded and access to Dropbox and box.net setup.

I have searched on here and read threads about Goodreader. It's highly touted and mentioned a lot as a favorite app but I don't see a lot of tips on using it.

How about if you post your favorite Good Reader tips here so maybe we can all learn a little more??

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I got a new iPad in the 16th and a loving it. I am learning how to do different things and would like to really try to use it to it's full potential. I read a lot about Goodreader on here and understand that you can markup pdf files and us it a a central location to store files. I bought it tonight and have a few files loaded and access to Dropbox and box.net setup.

I have searched on here and read threads about Goodreader. It's highly touted and mentioned a lot as a favorite app but I don't see a lot of tips on using it.

How about if you post your favorite Good Reader tips here so maybe we can all learn a little more??

Not sure I have any secrets to share, but...

I have several folders which are synced with DropBox so if I add/change/remove any files on my Mac (connected via DropBox), the changes can get synced right to GoodReader with the press of the sync button.

I can use GoodReader to save email attachments for later use (via either Open In... from the email app or by connecting my Gmail account to GoodReader).

PDF annotation with GoodReader (notes, highlights, etc) is a hugely useful tool for me.

In GoodReader's preferences you can turn on and off tabbed document viewscreen so you can have multiple files viewed at once.

I use Adobe PDF Creator ($10 I think) to convert complex MS Office files to PDFs for better formatting when viewing in GoodReader. GR uses Apple's iOS Office doc viewer engine which doesn't like some complex formatting, but Adobe's service does a great job at converting these.

edk

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
the best thing for me is, you can highlight your PDFs, and then have those text extracts emailed to you. Great for studying...

Stouver

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
My favorite part about Goodreader is using it to read PDFs like books. The word wrap feature is excellent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.