Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes claims that Apple will be ramping up production of the new 15" MacBook Pro in April, but with the new 13.3" model not ramping up until June:
As Apple will start mass producing its 15-inch MacBook Pro in April, sources from the upstream supply chain have pointed out that the company's orders for the 13.3-inch model are far higher than those of the 15-inch, indicating that Apple is more focused on the 13.3-inch notebook segment. However, the 13.3-inch MacBook Pro will not start mass production until June.
Digitimes also notes that the orders for the 13.3" MacBook Pro is "far higher" than those of the 15" model, though without a frame of reference for the typical mix of Apple notebook sales, it's hard to gauge the significance of this observation.

macbook_pro_13_15_side_by_side1.jpg

The April timing falls nicely with reports of new Intel Ivy Bridge chips that would be suitable for use in the new MacBook Pros.

Digitimes, however, doesn't provide any explanation for the discrepancy in the production dates between the 13" and 15" models. It's seems possible that Intel CPU availability may have something to do with the timetable as it was reported the very low power Ivy Bridge CPUs also won't be ready until June. Apple has typically only used these low power CPUs in the MacBook Air line, but the MacBook Pro has been rumored to be adopting a thinner and more Air-like appearance.

Previous reports claimed that the new MacBook Pros will feature a thinner design without an optical drive. We've been hearing whispers about this kind of Macbook Air inspired design since April of last year.

Article Link: Apple Ramping Up Production of 13" and 15" Next Gen MacBook Pros

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
Maybe my English got worse, but I don't quite get it. From my understanding the article says Apple is producing the new versions of the 13" and 15" MacBook Pro. And the production of the 15" is ramping up. And the production of the 13" not - but it is still in production with reaching the highest production peak around june. Huh?

Thank you!

P. S.: That doesn't make much sense for me: Especially if they order a lot more 13"...

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Intel must be giving OEM's earlier access to chips of machines are in store for the 28th release. I guess that means Apple Mac event might be early-mid April instead of May.

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
Maybe my English got worse, but I don't quite get it. From my understanding the article says Apple is producing the new versions of the 13" and 15" MacBook Pro. And the production of the 15" is ramping up. And the production of the 13" not - but it is still in production with reaching the highest production peak around june. Huh?

Thank you!

P. S.: That doesn't make much sense for me: Especially if they order a lot more 13"...

I don't think theres anything wrong with your English, the article is using language that is intentionally vague so that they can't be blatantly wrong. I don't buy this since Apple would not release two products in the same product line more than 2 months apart.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I don't think theres anything wrong with your English, the article is using language that is intentionally vague so that they can't be blatantly wrong. I don't buy this since Apple would not release two products in the same product line more than 2 months apart.

I'm pretty sure they did something of the sort when the MBP transitioned to the unibody design. The 15" was updated long before the 17" MBP.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

Thank you!

I think what the article is trying to say is that mass production of the new 15" laptop will start in April while the 13" will start in June, even though the 13" is more popular (there are more orders for it) ... possibly due to the fact certain technology won't be available until then.

In short, Apple is planning something big for the 13" MBP.

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
This is good news & I'm very excited. Looking forward to see what Apple is going to release in the near future. :D

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
I'm pretty sure they did something of the sort when the MBP transitioned to the unibody design. The 15" was updated long before the 17" MBP.

I guess it is possible, I just get the feeling that since they sell a lot more 13" MBPs anyway, they might as well wait until those are ready to launch to update the whole line. Since a lot of professionals use the 15" I suppose theres a argument for releasing the 15" ahead of the 13" though.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Wirelessly posted

I remember all of the people predicting doom and gloom because the MBP's never adopted BluRay, not it may not have an ODD at all. A coup of sorts now that 1080P content is available on iTunes and the new machines could possibly do any number of things with the additional space created by removing the ODD.

lazydaze

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2011
From what I've gathered the "air" line will still be offered in 11" & 13" (with low powered CPU's) so it makes sense that they ordered more 13" as there could be a double up in the 13" air & pro options.

Maybe we'll still see a 13" pro released with the 15" and then later a revamp of the 11" & 13" airs.

Any thoughts on this?

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
North America
From the article: "Apple has typically only used these low power CPUs in the MacBook Air line, but the MacBook Pro has been rumored to be adopting a thinner and more Air-like appearance.

Previous reports claimed that the new MacBook Pros will feature a thinner design without an optical drive. We've been hearing whispers about this kind of Macbook Air inspired design since April of last year."

I hope this is not true. If they do this the MacBook Pro certainly won't be the machine it should be. If they do this, what is to distinguish the two notebook lines? Leave the Superdrive where it is. When things are made too thin they overheat and need to use lesser powered components. The iMac is too thin now. This is why it has to use higher priced notebook components. And those components are more expensive and not as powerful as their desktop counterparts. And the iMacs still overheat because Apple places form over function.

hetrigger

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Texas
So, we are looking at a "thicker" Mac Air. Having to buy a separate optic drive does not make sense to me. You have the room for the drive. Would they put in an extra HD or more battery? Would that allow the ability for Bluray as an option?

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
So, we are looking at a "thicker" Mac Air. Having to buy a separate optic drive does not make sense to me. You have the room for the drive. Would they put in an extra HD or more battery? Would that allow the ability for Bluray as an option?

Battery > OOD

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
This is cool and all, but when are we getting new 27" or 30" iMacs?! Come on Apple, i have card in hand, ready to order. Hurrrrry. :)

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
I hope so...

the specs will be as you say. How big CPU and GPU performance will be?
I buy only new laptop if optical drive is gone. But I have to say. I have 2006 macbook pro 1.1 I upgrade it to SSD. and it feels like a new computer.:apple:
I really got huge benefit for 6 years laptop

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
well, if they are going to make the designs mimic the styling of the Air, with a thinner tapered design, what is the point of maintaining a seperate product than the existing 13" MBA?

higher production numbers = single, upgraded 13" MB (A/P?) replacing two separate existing products.

calhotdog

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
YES! NO MORE USELESS OPTICAL DRIVE!
I'll be the first one to order the new 15' MBP! Been waiting for too long to upgrade my 2007 MBP!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Uh oh, cue the "ZOMG Apple doesn't care about the pro user anymore! I'm so pro that I can't adapt to a single change in my pretend workflow zomg I'm going to Windows" threads :rolleyes:

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Not sure I'll be buying another Apple notebook, after 2 logic board replacements and 2 faulty batteries.

Interested to see how they'll improve on the design, though. Aside from a lack of standard ports, there's not much I'd like them to change.

New production materials would be interesting. Liquid metal, carbon and Gorilla Glass 2. Also, a higher resolution, IPS screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.