Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In line with the settlement announced last month over antenna issues on the iPhone 4, certain owners are now receiving notices instructing them how to claim their $15 settlement payment from Apple. The settlement is limited to those customers who experienced issues but who were unable to return their devices and who opted not to receive a free bumper case from Apple.
Apple will provide a $15 cash payment to Class Members who send in a valid claim form. The claim form will require you to declare that you: (a) experienced antenna or reception issues with your iPhone 4; (b) were unable to return your iPhone 4 without incurring any costs; (c) were unwilling to use a case or free bumper for your iPhone 4; and (d) completed certain troubleshooting steps or are unable to complete the troubleshooting steps because you no longer own your iPhone 4.
Apple is still offering free bumpers to those who specifically request them, but the cash settlement provides an alternative method of compensation for those who do not wish to utilize an Apple bumper or who no longer own the affected device and did not originally receive a free bumper.

iphone_4_frame.jpg

Users eligible for the $15 settlement payment have until August 28 to file their claim forms, and must file any objections to the settlement by June 15. A court hearing on July 13 will consider the settlement for final approval. Any parties wishing to exclude themselves from the class action settlement and pursue their own remedies also have until June 15 to register their removal from the class action group. Additional details are available at the official settlement site.

Article Link: $15 iPhone 4 Antenna Settlement Claims Now Being Accepted

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Lawyers make millions...people get 15 bucks...class action lawsuits are so pointless.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Who wouldn't feel pathetic collecting that?

I felt just fine receiving my free Bumper.

The $15 is not the most pathetic part, the way Apple initially completely refused to admit the problem, then gave away free bumpers for a problem that did not exist and now settling with $15... yeah the whole thing was pathetic. Had the issue still existed in the 4S I would be like pfffft people are overacting over nothing, but given its been fixed with a redesign, really why redesign something that is working as intended.

7o7munoz7o7

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted

I will gladly decline =) both of my iPhone 4's work perfectly fine with our without any case and always have.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Gizmodo and the Lawyers won. Gizmodo got the web hits, Lawyers got the money. The users?, neither of them care about the users.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
It was working as intended and it still does for me. I did not experience any dropped calls or bad reception. I got the free case anyway because it was free and I liked the idea of having a case just for the case ...

sha4000

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
There. Fixed that for you.

Basically, there are still millions of iPhone 4 users out there who really never had any real problem.

Was it a flaw? Sure. Was it really all that big of a deal? Not really.

Then why did apple give out free covers and settle the case? It seems obvious that a lot of ppl were affected by this flaw.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted

Does this mean August 28 is a semi important indicator as to the next iPhone release (ie no more iPhone 4 being sold - or it being sold as the cheapest iPhone around that date, so no more problem)?

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
At the expense of their customers?

Yeah, because the customers are really dropping off.

/Still love my iPhone 4 after almost two years, I don't remember dropping any calls even when I didn't use a case, which was most of the time I have owned it. I just hate covering up such a sexy phone.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
Unless you were somehow negatively effected by the product it is pretty disingenuous to try and collect any sum of money here.

For some:

1. Get iPhone + enjoy
2. Complain about iPhone+ enjoy anyway
3. Sue apple + continue to enjoy iPhone
4. Collect from apple $ + continue to complain + continue to enjoy iPhone
5. Gooddy! New iPhone! Go back to 1.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Typical class-action lawsuit. The settlement states that the lawyers receive $5.9 million from Apple (+$500 for each named plantiff), and every affected user who goes through the hoops to fill out the forms receives $15.

Who wins here?

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
what if you were having antenna trouble, then walked straight into the glass window of an Apple Store, would you get $30?

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It seems a bit humorous that the award is $15 -- if you didn't accept Apple's offer of a free case or bumper. Let's see: the bumper is $29; a case runs about that amount. So if you didn't accept Apple's original offer, you now can settle for half the amount it was worth. What a bizarre settlement!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.