Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
How does this work.
Let's say I am going to Spain for 2 months. I have a GV account with a California area code number. While I'm in Spain, if I use my GV app to make calls to USA numbers
1. Will it be free?
2. Does it have to be GV to GV to be free?
3. Does GV to non-GV numbers work for free or do I have to pay?
3. What about texts?

Thanks in advance!

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
1) No.
2) N/A
3) N/A
4) Texts are not free either (if you send them from a cellular connection).

Google Voice is just a forwarding number. Dialing from a foreign SIM card using your Google Voice number will probably cost you a lot more, because first it will dial to Google's (US) PBX and then to the final destination. The first leg will result in a long distance charge.

If you use the web interface texting will be free.

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
1) No.
2) N/A
3) N/A
4) Texts are not free either (if you send them from a cellular connection).

Google Voice is just a forwarding number. Dialing from a foreign SIM card using your Google Voice number will probably cost you a lot more, because first it will dial to Google's (US) PBX and then to the final destination. The first leg will result in a long distance charge.

If you use the web interface texting will be free.

If they are using a computer they can call right from gmail.

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Okay I guess I forgot to mention, I will be using my iPhone in Airplane mode, with Wifi on. It will still have the USA AT&T SIM card in it, but it will not be activated to have an international plan.
What about now? So I will only be using WiFi to make calls.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
How does this work.
Let's say I am going to Spain for 2 months. I have a GV account with a California area code number. While I'm in Spain, if I use my GV app to make calls to USA numbers
1. Will it be free?
2. Does it have to be GV to GV to be free?
3. Does GV to non-GV numbers work for free or do I have to pay?
3. What about texts?

Thanks in advance!

You'll be able to send and receive texts as you normally would, for free.
You can't use the Google Voice iOS app to make pure VOIP calls, remember, so if your phone is Airplane Mode in the USA or Spain it doesn't make a difference: calls won't work.
You can use a VPN and Google Voice dialing to Google Talk to make free calls to US numbers while abroad.

ADR

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Sure, with a VPN back to the States.

I know this thread is older, but the information is all wrong.

You can make calls to the United States from a US GV for free, without a VPN, using gmail on a computer.

I have been doing it now for over 2 years.

Texts can be sent using the GV app, no problem, for free.

You can make GV calls for free on an iPhone using Talkatone. The program is pretty crappy though.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Okay I guess I forgot to mention, I will be using my iPhone in Airplane mode, with Wifi on. It will still have the USA AT&T SIM card in it, but it will not be activated to have an international plan.
What about now? So I will only be using WiFi to make calls.

I did that on a trip to Argentina and it worked perfectly. Had cellular data off, airplane mode on. Then at a hotel or cafe would turn on wifi. We had Skype credits for free international calls so used Skype to call my wife's and my family several times. Worked out super well. I have not used google voice but assume it is similar where you need to pay for credits/minutes. Or you could just webcam?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.