Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:04 PM   #26
blue43fan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugg View Post
So I guess you didn't read the first sentence of my post at all.
Your post is worded poorly. I'm not going to argue with you.

Anyway, I love my AppleTV. I find it extremely useful for many things, especially AirPlay. For $100, it makes a great companion to the iPhone.
blue43fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:09 PM   #27
s15119
macrumors 6502a

I have an ATV2 and an ATV3. I love them both. They do a fantastic job. Great toys. At only $99 it's a no brainer. Buy it now. You know you want to :-)
s15119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:11 PM   #28
Matthew9559
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnstone View Post
It's not for everyone... I shipped mine back after a few weeks.
The interface looks great but navigation simply sucks.
The minimalist remote may look pretty, but it takes too many clicks to get anything done.
My wife gave up and chucked the remote across the room while trying to look for a movie.
Her exact words... "Get rid of this POS".
Haha, I can understand that complaint. Inputting your Netflix username/password is such a test of patience. Though to be fair on anything but a keyboard/mouse (360/ps3/wii controller) the input is a chore. Overall, I do like the remote but I use my iPhone to control the ATV.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:29 PM   #29
RolandNights
macrumors 6502a

Depends on how you want to use it. I have an ATV2.

I have a pretty big home, so it's convenient to have everything just stored on my iMac and remotely accessed. The Apple TV is fine for me since I do use iTunes often. I like to use HomeSharing to watch television shows I have on my iMac as I eat breakfast or other free times. When I'm downstairs cleaning, cooking, or we're having a get-together, I use the ATV for movies, music or Pandora.

As for the remote, I either use my iPhone or my Logitech Harmony 650.
RolandNights is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:39 PM   #30
d21mike
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse01 View Post
All I essentially want it for/use it for is to mirror games to my tv and occasional videos.

does it do this well and how would they look on a 42+ HDTV?
I am not a gamer but I bought Real Racing HD just to see how it worked and to me it was great. No lag at all (my Apple TV is hard wired). Tested mostly with my iPad 2. I do not believe I was using AirPlay Mirroring. I believe Real Racing can send some of the information to the TV (AirPlay) and also display other information on the iOS device. I think AirPlay is more usable in this mode.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:48 PM   #31
j3yq
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew9559 View Post
Haha, I can understand that complaint. Inputting your Netflix username/password is such a test of patience. Though to be fair on anything but a keyboard/mouse (360/ps3/wii controller) the input is a chore. Overall, I do like the remote but I use my iPhone to control the ATV.
One of the first things you should do is toss that remote and use your iPhone/iPad/iPod.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:55 PM   #32
pilot1226
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
All I essentially want it for/use it for is to mirror games to my tv and occasional videos.

does it do this well and how would they look on a 42+ HDTV?
It's fantastic. I have a Samsung 42" LED TV and it looks like I'm watching a DVD. I've backed up a few of my favorite TV Shows and DVDs to my hard drive, imported them into my iTunes library, and then stream them to my Apple TV. They're fantastic.

I use my iPhone 4S as a remote control for the Apple TV, too.

I have watched a few iTunes Store purchases too, and they're good quality. I mean, it's not Blu-Ray, but I think that would just be so over-the-top in terms of streaming bitrate.

I'm pretty pleased with it, and I get a kick out of reading the MacRumors forums on my TV mirrored via Airplay.

If I was single, I would cancel my cable and landline phone service, bump up my internet service, and I would buy the Season Pass for all the shows I watch. Even if they're $40 a piece, you're talking like 5, maybe 6 shows not viewable over-the-air or internet a year. So that's at most $240 dollars a year for the shows you're paying around $80 per month for on basic cable. Unfortunately the baby likes his Disney channel and the Misses likes her primetime shows.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:25 PM   #33
tigres
macrumors 68040

I just bought a second apple tv for my office. Cancelled the Comcast tv rip off crap-@ 50/month for non hd CNN and others. Now just steam from iPhone to apple tv live on CNN all day for free.

Savings? About 500.00 the first year.

Yeah for some it serves it purpose and is very cheap.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:38 PM   #34
tbayrgs
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC28 View Post
Is it possible to Airplay any video that would play on an iPhone 4S to the Apple TV? For example, I want to play On Demand videos from the Comcast Xfinity app on my TV. Can this be done using an iPhone 4S and Apple TV?
The ability to AirPlay is app dependent so if the developer doesn't include support for AirPlay, you won't be able to watch it on the TV.

I don't have Comcast service but if I had to guess I'm going to say it probably doesn't work over AirPlay as I'm sure Comcast wants you to pay for one of their boxes on each of your televisions and this would be a way around that.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:46 PM   #35
ixodes
macrumors 601

ATV is the one Apple product I simply cannot get enthused about.

In my case I love the outdoors & fitness too much to sit on the couch. Living where more often than not, the weather is gorgeous, I'm into cycling, climbing, water sports & many other fun activities that are good for ones health & happiness.

Perhaps if Apple TV matures over the next few years, offering something compelling, I may feel differently. At this juncture I simply don't care.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:35 PM   #36
toasty hoodie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
I use it often, I love the thing. The only annoying thing with it is typing usernames and passwords into the thing. That little remote is a pain for that, a minor issue that doesn't outweigh the joy of the thing. I was actually shocked it only cost $100.
When I need to type usernames and passwords in, I use the remote app on my iPhone. I use the keyboard to knock them out.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:05 PM   #37
DblHelix
macrumors member

For someone who doesn't want to fiddle with a media server like on the PS3 (I played for months with one and never did get HD video to stream flawlessly) then the ATV is perfect. I use it strictly to stream movies (I have started converting my Blu-rays for it) and music (~800 albums mostly in ALAC) for this it works great.

Also, tbayrgs, the new developer preview of Mountain Lion allows anything on your mac to airplay on your Apple TV.
DblHelix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:17 AM   #38
pilot1226
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
I don't have Comcast service but if I had to guess I'm going to say it probably doesn't work over AirPlay as I'm sure Comcast wants you to pay for one of their boxes on each of your televisions and this would be a way around that.
The xfinity app does indeed mirror to airplay. In fact, the only one I use that doesn't is the TV.Com app, which is annoying, but the fact that my mom lives in a Comcast area and I have a login allows me to use Comcast OnDemand via my phone and Airplay. For reference, we live about 75 miles away from her.

I live in a Cablevision area myself, and I can't wait to switch to Verizon Fios when I move later this year.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:32 AM   #39
KeithJenner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
ATV is the one Apple product I simply cannot get enthused about.

In my case I love the outdoors & fitness too much to sit on the couch. Living where more often than not, the weather is gorgeous, I'm into cycling, climbing, water sports & many other fun activities that are good for ones health & happiness.

Perhaps if Apple TV matures over the next few years, offering something compelling, I may feel differently. At this juncture I simply don't care.
I think it's fair to say that the Apple TV is unlikely to mature in such a way that you will be using it whilst cycling, climbing or water sports. You do plug it into your TV after all.
KeithJenner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:27 AM   #40
taedouni
macrumors 6502a

I use it mainly for streaming content to my TV such as Netflix and renting movies from iTunes in 1080P. It's nice that you can use mirror play with your iPad and iPhone, however in my opinion that's just a feature. If you want to just stream what's on your device to your TV then buy an HDMI cable.
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:42 AM   #41
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
I just basically wanted opinions from people that actually have it is all.
Random opinions really don't matter. An opinion doesn't help you unless you understand the preferences of the person presenting the opinion. Worth is always highly subjective no matter what the topic.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:01 AM   #42
damant
macrumors regular

my experience with atv 2.
the only media player that packs both 2 and 5mghz wifi built in.
the best looking and user friendly interface (netflix).
with xbmc (jailbroken) the possibility is endless .
air-play/ mirror is awsome !

once atv3 is jailbroken...1080p completes the "picture" !
ps i don't use my WD-hd+ much anymore :-)
damant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone