Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAppleseed

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2011
What do you think about Android? Or Windows Phone? The Windows Phone's UI looks great.

Is it a worse? Is it better? Is Samsung really as bad as they say?

What do you think about these other phones as an experienced iPhone user?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Both have their strengths and weaknesses - I've used Android before, but iPhone is what works for me right now.

B777Forevar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Chicago, IL
I like Android, my first Android phone was the T-Mobile G1, then I went to the myTouch 4G and then to the myTouch 4G slide. I recently flashed ICS to it, and I'm loving it.

Can't comment on Samsung, but I do hate the fact that they make their phones out of plastic.

Also, I'm saving up to buy a Lumia 900 (That design of that phone is on par wtih the iPhone 4 imo).

When it comes to smartphones, I love em all, be it iOS, Android, WP7 or Blackberry.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Been using Android devices on an off for over a year and always end up going back to iOS. iOS to me feels more polished. The apps tend to be better quality as well. Don't get me wrong there are some things Android kills the iPhone (sharing from any app, multitasking - yes I like androids multitasking better, customization) but overall iOS wins for me.

WP7 I was really impressed with when I got a chance to play with it. Reminded me of iOS with how smooth and polished it felt but it's lack of apps bumps it way down for me at the moment. I'd still like to get a Windows phone to get a better feel for everyday use of it. Currently I go back and forth between my iPhone 4S and whatever Sony Android phone I have at the time (being friends with someone at Sony that lets you borrow new phones is awesome).

I think a big problem with android phones is lack of control over the many different devices out there. I can buy an app for one phone then upgrade to another and that app doesn't work and I have to buy the same app again but made for that particular phone. OS updates are also horrid on Android. Even if you have a phone from a manufacturer that is good at updating their devices you have to have an unbranded device otherwise you have to deal with the carriers not releasing updates. iPhones are the only devices immune to that it seems.

Never been a fan of any of the Samsung android phones. They feel cheap and I can't stand their UI. Motorola's are better in my book and I love the new Sony androids. Currently using an Xperia S which is impressive.

robertjones

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
The quality of andorid phones improved a lot these years. Before i bought the iphone, I ofter use sumsung. I felt good when i first used it, 'cause I never used smartphones before. But iphones changed my ideas about smartphone further. I must say, the quality, apps, liquility, appearance of iPhone are greatly different from Android phones.

jamesfrenkline

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2012
These are the examples of new generation of mobile phones and both are frequently used and have a good market as well. They are replacing traditional personal computers and laptops as well.

Hi i am new to this forum and interested to know more about new techniques of smart phones, mobile phones and window phones.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
I've not owned either but I've played around with em, the windows phones are quite neat, the widgets are really handy and quick to access but when it comes to doing anything else like apps the phone struggles, there's just for more depth and reliability to iOS than any other mobile OS at the moment.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Androids aren't bad. They have some interesting features; some I can do without, while there are others I wouldn't mind having.
My primary issues with Android have to do with a lack of timely OS updates (unless you hack your phone), less friendliness with mac/itunes and that Verizon, et. al. stick useless apps on your phone that can't be taken off (with the probable exception of hacking it off).
The hacking isn't so much an issue, because I don't mind hacking my phone. However, you shouldn't have to do that--unless you want to software unlock or add a non-standard app. Hacking to get the latest OS is crappy, imo.

Windows phone looks interesting and I like that they didn't copy iOS. They actually showed another way to approach the gui. However, they're way behind in the apps race. App developers are scaling back development on android, so it's unrealistic to expect a rush of windows app developers. Also, it's microsoft. While their throw money at it approach has worked in the past, it's failed miserably in other endeavors.
I still wouldn't mind trying it out at the store sometime.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
I like iOS and Android. Windows phones suck imo, but I havent tried one of those in a while. My everyday phone is an iPhone but I have an android phone that I use to carry my music and I have fun hacking it and for the few apps that I like to use that are not on iOS.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
My opinion of Android is that it sucks. All of the pieces are so disparate, unlike the iPhone where integration is such a big part of why is works so well.

Windows Phone, I can't really give an opinion on.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I am looking forward to giving the new Nokia AT&T 900 a shot on the 8th. It uses the same SIM card as my iPhone 4S so it will not be a hassle:eek:

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I've used Android and WP7. I couldn't stand either OS. Once you get past the flashy weather widgets that seem to give everyone a major woody, you get into the absolutely ****** app stores and this is where I lost it. You have to have great apps, which neither OS does.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I've used Android and WP7. I couldn't stand either OS. Once you get past the flashy weather widgets that seem to give everyone a major woody, you get into the absolutely ****** app stores and this is where I lost it. You have to have great apps, which neither OS does.

Mmm, you might want to take a look at Google Play again. They have some very nice apps.

Then there is the Amazon app store which gives a paid app away away free everyday.

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
I like Android, but love WP7.

Pretty sure I'll get a Samsung Galaxy S3 or a new Windows Phone later this year since i'm pretty much bored of iOS.

DryEyez

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
UK
I love ios, i usenit on my ipad and have had all the iphones, however the physical qwerty keyboard on a blackberry is smething which i do really enjoy personally, as i use it for all my emails and im a heavy texter. One thing i will say is that im really looking forward to windows 8 and will be considering a windows 8 phone and tablet when they come out. Lastly android, i have an android phone right now but find it a little choppy, unpolished, suffers slow downs, the one thing that is making me keep it is the micro sd slot and being able to use it as a flash pen

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Who says Samsung is bad? I tried a Galaxy Nexus for 2 weeks and loved the phone but I just missed iOS too much so I went back to my 4S. It definitely wasn't an unpleasant experience I'll tell you that.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Mmm, you might want to take a look at Google Play again. They have some very nice apps.

Then there is the Amazon app store which gives a paid app away away free everyday.

And if you are a low life you can google "appsname".apk and download it for free from an android browser.

Google gives you a 15 minute trial of the app to make sure it works and it's what you are looking for. Then you can refund it if you don't like it. So I think that's pretty cool.

I will admit I have pirated an app or two just to make sure it fully works (15 minutes is not a lot of time). Then uninstalled it and downloaded it from google play (market back then).

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What do you think about Android? Or Windows Phone? The Windows Phone's UI looks great.

Is it a worse? Is it better? Is Samsung really as bad as they say?

What do you think about these other phones as an experienced iPhone user?
Completely subjective. iPhone users aren't all identical. If you're curious then read up and test them out in person for yourself.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Every time I see something like this I have to laugh, after having iphones for years, I have a ton of apps built up. All the major stuff I use had no trouble finding the Android counterpart or similar for it's equal or in some cases better, same for games, some of the games I have are better on Android then the version on iOS, I'm not a big gamer person but Brothers in Arms and Gun Bro's comes to mind for that. Some of the games I have for free on Android would have easily been 3/4/5+ bucks in the Apple App store. But at least with Android you can test apps before buying, that way if you don't like something your not stuck, there's stuff I looked for and would test 5+ app's out and some I didn't like but luckily wasn't stuck with them. Can't count how many times I bought an app on the app store that got good reviews only to think it sucked or wasn't what I hoped it to be but then your sol for the $. Wish Apple would implement a "test the app" first deal.

The new Android devices fixed all the stuff I didn't like about them before, used to love railing on my Android owner friends lol. But these new ones are slick, just fast and smooth for me with no hiccups.

I like Windows Mango OS as well, it's only problem right now is dev backing. Once that builds up I'm sure it'll be a nice player against iOS and Android as their apps increase in quality and quantity. BB is outta the game since their leaving the consumer market, they made way to many mistakes along the way and are feeling it now.

I like making the phones to "my" wants, not Apples or others. Even jb'd the 4S even though it's the gf work phone lol. I agree that the Android updates can lack, but that's more of an issue with the carrier since they put their own overlay's over the base UI. No big deal though to me, if you can jailbreak an iPhone, it's not much harder to root and rom an Android especially with the guides at XDA. People run into issue when they flash or install the wrong stuff, i.e. they own the i777 GSII but end up flashing stuff for the i900 international version.. simple fix, know what model you own and read the guides lol.

Last edited:

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I tried out Android, its alright. The one thing I dont like is that the Android market isn't policed. You could download something bad and not know it.

As for Windows Phone, I tried that website they put out demoing their OS. It felt like I was getting lost in all the swipe tiles and that I needed to leave a trail of breadcrumbs to find my way back home. Way too busy.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
I'm thinking of switching to WP. I bought Samsung Focus to test out straight talk and really like it. OS is really great and for me its better than IOS. After using it for few days IOS doesn't look the same. I'm thinking of getting Lumia 800 or upcoming 900 to use on ST. Iphone is about to go in the marketplace section

App wise yes WP is lacking in numbers but when I really looked at the apps all the apps I use are there. I really could care less that IOS has 500k apps. most of them are useless garbage. What counts for me is the apps that I do use exist on all 3 platforms. While I was checking out different apps I noticed that my iphone has 65 apps on it but I only use 5 every day. Rest of them are there "in case I need it" which I rarely do

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.