Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Nevzorus
macrumors 6502

Refurbished iPad 3rd gen

Hi! I would like to know what's wrong with a refurbished iPad. I know you can't find any refurbished iPad 3's yet but i know you will soon. If everyone says that a refurbished iPad 3 is like the normal iPad then why won't you people buy it if you can save some money? What's the difference on a refurbished and a not refurbished iPad? How much would this model be if it was refurbished:

iPad 3rd gen, 32 GB, Wi-Fi only, white

English is not my native language so don't complain, i'm trying my best. :-)
Nevzorus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:45 AM   #2
WILLDOGS
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevzorus View Post
Hi! I would like to know what's wrong with a refurbished iPad. I know you can't find any refurbished iPad 3's yet but i know you will soon. If everyone says that a refurbished iPad 3 is like the normal iPad then why won't you people buy it if you can save some money? What's the difference on a refurbished and a not refurbished iPad? How much would this model be if it was refurbished:

iPad 3rd gen, 32 GB, Wi-Fi only, white

English is not my native language so don't complain, i'm trying my best. :-)
Refurbished (Especially from apple) is as good as a new one. Nothing wrong with it and it comes with a warranty as well.

Reason more people don't buy refurbished is because some people absolutly want NEW vs. refurbished. Its only personal preference.

The price is usually about $50 cheaper for refurbished models but you may be waiting a while before they show up on Apple's website.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:58 AM   #3
Nevzorus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLDOGS View Post
Refurbished (Especially from apple) is as good as a new one. Nothing wrong with it and it comes with a warranty as well.

Reason more people don't buy refurbished is because some people absolutly want NEW vs. refurbished. Its only personal preference.

The price is usually about $50 cheaper for refurbished models but you may be waiting a while before they show up on Apple's website.
Oh, 50 dollars cheaper?! Omg, that would be FANTASTIC What's the downside of the refurbished ones?
Nevzorus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:59 AM   #4
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Because some people have enough disposable income to buy new and therefore don't need to save the $50 bucks on a refurbished item.. simple as that...

Then there are some uninformed people who think refurbished is a bad word and see it in a negative light.

And then there are some who have purchased refurbished products from other companies who are not as meticulous as Apple, and have had a crappy experience, so they are put off by refurbished.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:13 AM   #5
deeddawg
macrumors 601

Quote:
I know you can't find any refurbished iPad 3's yet but i know you will soon.
Define "soon". With the first and second generation iPads, refurbished units didn't go on sale until around August / September. Saving $50 is certainly worthwhile, but is it worth $12.50 per month to have it now vs. waiting?
deeddawg is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:13 AM   #6
avaloncourt
macrumors 65816

I rank Apple higher than most companies on refurbs but I have had a negative experience. I've purchased several refurb Apple items but I had a refurb Macbook Pro with a bad optical drive out of the box. I suspect it was just a return and they reloaded the OS but they certainly didn't do it via the optical drive. Perhaps a drive swap. They obviously didn't check the optical drive in the process. I had Applecare on it and eventually sent it in when a few things were going wrong with it. (It also had the bad series of graphic chips.) When I got it back it was fine. They would have fixed it with the regular warranty anyhow. On the downside, I'm nowhere near an Apple store. So, it was all FedEx shipments.
avaloncourt is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:14 AM   #7
tranceFusion
macrumors member

Quote:
Oh, 50 dollars cheaper?! Omg, that would be FANTASTIC What's the downside of the refurbished ones?
I return ipad -> apple makes sure nothing is wrong with it (or fixes it if there is something) -> apple sells to you as refurbished

The "downside" is that you have my cooties on your device.
tranceFusion is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:23 AM   #8
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

For iPads, iPods and iPhones you really can't tell the difference between a refurbished product and a new one from Apple. The discount on refurbished units is not great, and they often aren't available right away after a new product launch so many people just buy new. Refurbs are also not available at physical Apple stores (unless you are getting a warranty replacement) so there is also a convenience factor.

The refurbished macs are not quite so flawless. They sometimes come with cosmetic blemishes and other defects though most of the time they are fine. I've had many refurbished iPhones that are indistinguishable from new, but when I got a refurb macbook pro it arrived so warped that it wouldn't lie on a table flat and rocked back and forth when I typed on it.
barkomatic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:26 AM   #9
batotman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeddawg View Post
Define "soon". With the first and second generation iPads, refurbished units didn't go on sale until around August / September. Saving $50 is certainly worthwhile, but is it worth $12.50 per month to have it now vs. waiting?
This. Exactly this.
batotman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:33 AM   #10
Finiksa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
The "downside" is that you have my cooties on your device.
Actually you won't, Apple replace the outer case on refurbished products. They only reuse internal components.
Finiksa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:39 AM   #11
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
What's the downside of the refurbished ones?
The main downside of refurbished is that it can make it harder to sell -- in general "refurbished" has a bad connotation.

I've bought a few Apple refurbs that I though were especially good deals even after paying sales tax (Airport express, 24" Cinema display) and I'm very happy with them, and also no plan to flip when a new model appears like I do most Apple products.

One important consideration - only by an refurbished Apple product from Apple. They are the only ones that come with a 1 year Apple warranty. Other sellers also sell refurbished Apple product but they usually only come with a 90 day warranty, and do not guarantee genuine Apple repair service.

Also you do need to look at total cost. Many times you can find new Apple products on sale at legit resellers going for the same price as an Apple refurb. A good example of this was the iPad 2 last holiday season. Many resellers were selling for $50 off.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:56 AM   #12
CD27
macrumors newbie

refurbs

When possible, I prefer to buy refurbs (from Apple) over new because I know that someone has at least had a look at it. I have always had excellent luck.
CD27 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:49 AM   #13
Nevzorus
macrumors 6502

Does the battery suck on the new refurbished iPad?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:15 AM   #14
Mk4Jetta
macrumors newbie

Quote:
It's the same. If apple didn't tell you it was a refurb, you would have no idea it was.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:35 AM   #15
urkel
macrumors 68010

The negatives for buying Refurb:
-No original packaging Apple owners love their boxes. I've got a closet full of them
- Lower Resale Value Buying used is risky enough. But being the 3rd owner? No thanks.
- Peace of mind. Refurbs probably have LESS risk for problems but that wont stop us from saying "its because its a refurb" if something goes wrong.
- Used and Cutting Edge don't feel right. It's pretty weird to want "the latest and greatest" product that someone else owned.
- Genius Bar Geniuses know its a refurb. While standard support is the same, geniuses have the power to bend the rules sometimes. I've noticed they'll be less likely to do that for a refurb rather than a brand new one purchased at that store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finiksa View Post
Actually you won't, Apple replace the outer case on refurbished products. They only reuse internal components.
Who told you that? Most returns I've seen/owned have had minor scuffs or signs of use so while Apple does an amazing job at cleaning them off, the chance for a cooties infection still exists.

Last edited by urkel; Mar 31, 2012 at 08:40 AM.
urkel is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:25 AM   #16
qtx43
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
Who told you that? Most returns I've seen/owned have had minor scuffs or signs of use so while Apple does an amazing job at cleaning them off, the chance for a cooties infection still exists.
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad
Quote:
All refurbished iPad models also include a brand new battery and outer shell
But I'm guessing they only mean the back shell, not the front glass.
qtx43 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:25 AM   #17
technounion
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I bought different refurbished apple devices in the last years and nothing went wrong. Every single device was like new. If I didn't know it better, I wouldn't even have noticed it.
technounion is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:38 AM   #18
dagamer34
macrumors 65816

Most refurbs end up being returned iPads that can no longer be sold as new, even if they are flawless. And obviously, if there were any major dings/dents, the iPad couldn't be returned, especially when a product is brand new.

However, as time goes on and iPads are returned to Apple from product failure, that's when it's possible to get an iPad made from salvaged parts.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:40 AM   #19
Nevzorus
macrumors 6502

Oh, refurbished one's sounds good
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:05 PM   #20
mac.junkie
macrumors member

Quote:
Apple puts a new battery in refurbished iPads, so no.
mac.junkie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:10 PM   #21
Jackintosh
macrumors 6502a

With all the screen problem returns (bleeding, color blotching, display inconsistencies), don't you think those will now become part of the refurb pool?

Last edited by Jackintosh; Mar 31, 2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typo
Jackintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:24 PM   #22
Nevzorus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackintosh View Post
With all the screen problem returns (bleeding, color blotching, display inconsistencies), don't you think those will now become part of the refurb pool?
I don't think that the refurbished ones will have color blotching, display inconsistencies or something like that. Apple problably checks them and i'm sure you can return it if that happens.
Nevzorus is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:26 PM   #23
Jackintosh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I don't think that the refurbished ones will have color blotching, display inconsistencies or something like that. Apple problably checks them and i'm sure you can return it if that happens.
That might be true. But then why didn't Apple check them or notice these issues when originally sold as new, I wonder.
Jackintosh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:27 PM   #24
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Doubt it, otherwise they'll just have to deal with people returning them again.
Stetrain is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:31 PM   #25
Nevzorus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That might be true. But then why didn't Apple check them or notice these issues when originally sold as new, I wonder.
If it's true that you can buy refurbished ones in August/September, then you'll problably understand why. Apple is REALLY busy right now and checking iPads while your busy is kinda hard, but i really think they should do that though.
Nevzorus is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad