Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
Hey guys, in need of some help on how to set my Time Capsule as static IP?

I'm finding that my Apple TV is stopping from streaming my movies through my Mac Mini, I unplug my Time Capsule from power wait a few seconds, plug it back in and then there are no disconnections from streaming my movies....

So obviously has got to do with my Time Capsule, by setting this to static I'm hoping it will stop this problem occurring?

Just don't know where to start and make changes to make my Time Capsule static?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Are you trying to give a fixed IP to the Apple TV? You can do that using DHCP reservation as shown in this screen cap from Airport Utility. Click the plus sign and add the mac address of the ATV and the IP you want to use. This will give the Apple TV that same IP all the time, while still allowing you to use DHCP assigned address for everything else.

You can do the same thing for your Mini if you want.

19bw6.png

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
Are you trying to give a fixed IP to the Apple TV? You can do that using DHCP reservation as shown in this screen cap from Airport Utility. Click the plus sign and add the mac address of the ATV and the IP you want to use. This will give the Apple TV that same IP all the time, while still allowing you to use DHCP assigned address for everything else.

You can do the same thing for your Mini if you want.

19bw6.png

Exactly what I want to do :) thanks!

Would it help by putting my Time Capsule to static IP as well or not?

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Exactly what I want to do :) thanks!

Would it help by putting my Time Capsule to static IP as well or not?

You could try, but your home internet uses Dynamic IP addresses, so it changes halfway-regularly. It probably wouldn't work.

Besides, if you're streaming on your local network (not using Netflix or anything like that), your Time Capsule's IP doesn't matter anyway.

gstricklind

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
I'm completely confused as to trying to get a static IP, if it's even possible.

I even called my ISP, (road runner) and although his voice made me laugh, he didn't answer my question. He told me no, and he told me yes.

I was hoping to set the Time Capsule to have a static IP address for Google Analytics would be more accurate and not count my visits.

I opened AirPort Utility > Network and I don't even know where to start.
I unplugged everything, waited a few seconds, and plugged everything back in, to see if it would change my IP, nope.

Can someone tell me if I'm wasting my time; should I find another solution?

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I'm completely confused as to trying to get a static IP, if it's even possible.

I even called my ISP, (road runner) and although his voice made me laugh, he didn't answer my question. He told me no, and he told me yes.

I was hoping to set the Time Capsule to have a static IP address for Google Analytics would be more accurate and not count my visits.

I opened AirPort Utility > Network and I don't even know where to start.
I unplugged everything, waited a few seconds, and plugged everything back in, to see if it would change my IP, nope.

Can someone tell me if I'm wasting my time; should I find another solution?

Most ISP's won't give you a static IP unless you pay for a business plan.

LevMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
QLD, Australia
Hey guys!

Thanks for all your help, I have got everything into static, including my Time Capsule and my Internet connection works, but it still hasn't resolved the problem of Home Sharing cutting out through to my Apple TV....

By the looks of it, a lot of people are having issues with Home Sharing cutting out as it looks like its an iTunes software update problem or the new Apple TV software update that has caused this :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.