Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justin Luck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
I am very impressed with iBooks quick rendering speed with PDFs on the retina display. But one feature I would love to have is continuous vertical scrolling. I was surprised to find this feature available in the safari browser when I opened a PDF through a web link. Safari handles high res PDFs beautifully with smooth vertical scrolling and horizontal lock. It is a shame we can't use the browser for files located on the iPad. Are there any PDF readers that can replicate the safari PDF reading experience?

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I am very impressed with iBooks quick rendering speed with PDFs on the retina display. But one feature I would love to have is continuous vertical scrolling. I was surprised to find this feature available in the safari browser when I opened a PDF through a web link. Safari handles high res PDFs beautifully with smooth vertical scrolling and horizontal lock. It is a shame we can't use the browser for files located on the iPad. Are there any PDF readers that can replicate the safari PDF reading experience?

iannotate. i think it is the best reader available right now.

Tedddman

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2011
PDFMATE!

PDFMate is the BEST reader if you value continuous vertical scrolling. Not only is it free, it has a "horizontal zoom lock" feature so that you can zoom out the margins on your PDF and then as you swipe down, it will lock the horizontal movement so that the image doesn't float to the side.

Perfect for reading scripts and screenplays too! Even paid PDF apps don't do smooth vertical scrolling as well as PDFMate.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
you can't really lose with pdfmate. it is free after all!

but, it is pretty much useless for me. it takes more than a minute to render each pdf page, even on relatively small files of 1.5 mb. iannotate and goodreader can render the same page pretty much instantly.

i'm sure your mileage will vary, depending on whether your pdfs are generated from scans or conversion from other formats, like Word.

ksundar

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
PDF reader Lite(free) & Pro($4.99) are very useful and support vertical scrolling continously!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.