Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sappamato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
I was talking to a salesperson at a Humac People store (closest thing to an Apple store in Finland) and he told me that and AppleTV cannot access an iTunes library if it's on an external drive. This is not true right? I mean if I have a computer and iTunes running home sharing works no matter where the library actually is.

I see no reason this wouldn't be the case but he was really sure about it. Thanks!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If the media is in your iTunes library and iTunes can find it, the Apple TV can play it.

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
What he probably had in mind is that you cannot connect an external hard drive directly to an ATV, which is true. However, it doesn't apply to iTunes on a computer.

sphinx99

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
you missed out a third crucial point, and if the media is within supported specs.

I just noticed this. iTunes seems to be pretty selective about what it makes available to the Apple TV, and does not even tell you that some things will be missing, nor why. It just decides to not show the content.

sappamato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
What he probably had in mind is that you cannot connect an external hard drive directly to an ATV, which is true. However, it doesn't apply to iTunes on a computer.

You are probably right. But why would anyone think this? He basically just assumed that I was and idiot:) Great service.

Oh and all my media is in the right format, don't worry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.