Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It's April 1st again -- also known as April Fools' Day. Today also represents Apple's 36th anniversary, having been founded on this day in 1976 by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak.

Here are a couple of the more ambitious pranks floating around the internet today:

Hungry Hungry Hippos for iPad

ThinkGeek has introduced a modernized version of the classic Hungry Hungry Hippos game for the iPad, but now with "capacitive-padded heads."

ee0b_hungry_hungry_hippos_ipad-500x367.jpg
Electronic Hungry Hungry Hippos iPad Game is everything you remember about HHH. All four hippos are present and hungry, except this time, the hippos fit over your iPad and the game board is an app!
You can explore it yourself on Google's maps site.

Article Link: iPad Hungry Hungry Hippos and Other April Fools for 2012

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Usually everything Think Geek comes up with for April Fool's gets made. Remember the iCade Arcade box for the iPad? They sell it on their website and in Best Buys! :D

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
So, just so we're clear, the Hungry Hungry Hippos iPad game doesn't exist? :eek: :(

It was one of my favorite games as a kid, and the iPad version looks kind of fun, if only for the novelty. :D

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Laughed at the google maps one... Especially when looking at Long/Lat 0.00000, 0.00000 and Microsoft in Redmond, WA.

Boggles my mind that someone was paid probably for months coming up with the change that will stay active for two days.

GenesisJLS

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
The Google maps prank probably took a lot of work to accomplish. If you go into street view, everything was 8-bitified. That's sick. They must really have some Javascript wizards over at Google. :)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

I can! The USB Pet Rock!

They'll have a page where you can vote on your favorite April Fools item and if its able to be made they'll make it, but they only choose one I believe.

If everyone wants the Hungry Hungry Hippos you better go vote for it ;)

EDIT: Ok I totally read Arn's post wrong. I thought he wrote something like "Can you name an april fools item other than the iCade that got made" but his post doesn't say that at all...

...now I know its time for bed.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I can! The USB Pet Rock!

They'll have a page where you can vote on your favorite April Fools item and if its able to be made they'll make it, but they only choose one I believe.

If everyone wants the Hungry Hungry Hippos you better go vote for it ;)

EDIT: Ok I totally read Arn's post wrong. I thought he wrote something like "Can you name an april fools item other than the iCade that got made" but his post doesn't say that at all...

...now I know its time for bed.

hah, I edited my post after I realized that they do make some. So you're not going crazy. :)

But "usually everything" is still a stretch.

arn

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Laughed at the google maps one... Especially when looking at Long/Lat 0.00000, 0.00000 and Microsoft in Redmond, WA.

Boggles my mind that someone was paid probably for months coming up with the change that will stay active for two days.

I looked but I didn't see anything : /

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Hungry Hungry Hippos for iPad

ThinkGeek has introduced a modernized version of the classic Hungry Hungry Hippos game for the iPad, but now with "capacitive-padded heads."

Nice one. :) We had this game when I was a kid. But to the folks who are hopeful it might actually be made, may I remind you that it was a pretty violent board game… You sure you want to replace the 2 cent plastic balls with your $500–$800 iPad? :eek:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
hah, I edited my post after I realized that they do make some. So you're not going crazy. :)

But "usually everything" is still a stretch.

arn

Thats good to know! lol.

I think one year they made two popular items but the rest (to my knowledge) has only been the most popular.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Ha....

Ha! April fools to you too Macrumors!!!

After so many clicks I gave up, but I did master the art of voting ;).

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-04-01 at 3.36.28 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-04-01 at 3.36.28 AM.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 284

hetrigger

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Texas
Is it true that they are giving away a free new iPad with the purchase of Hungry, Hungry Hippos and the Pet Rock?:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.