Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thebutchersboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
South-West UK
I have just made the leap from Microsoft to apple and purchased a nice shiny new iMac.
I use Microsoft publisher but can't find a worthy mac friendly program. Is there anything out there. I have looked at mac pages, and it's not the great in relation to MS publisher.
Thanks

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Is there a program that will open the MS files I already. So I can access the .pub files on the mac.

I was in exactly the same position as you :( Afraid I couldn't find one.

There are quite a few DTP Apps for the Mac. I haven't tried them but Swift Publisher on the App Store looks quite interesting - as does iStudio.

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Isn't this in the wrong thread? Shouldn't it be in Graphics or at least in Software?

Thebutchersboy,
You didn't say what you were using Publisher for? Do you only make fliers for yourself or to printout for your office? If you are using it to make fliers and things that you are going to print on a home printer, you will be fine using Publisher or a similar tool (such as Apple's Pages). I would go for Pages but if you "have to" have your old Publisher files, you could always resort to using Parrarels or VMware's Fusion, and then run Publisher inside of a virtual environment. Just a suggestion.

If you are planning on having something printed commercially, then you should step up to a more robust and commercial printer friendly application such as InDesign or Quark Xpress. I have received Publisher files at a commercial printer and believe me, they are a nightmare. I hate Publisher with a passion. I have spent vast amounts of time trying to reconstruct pages in InDesign/Xpress because Publisher just isn't a professional layout application (it can't print separations).

Best of luck.

Thebutchersboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
South-West UK
Thanks, I use publisher for my online business, freelance journalism and photoshoots used in the educational setting.
I hear what your saying re publisher, but better the devil you know. However, since this morning, I have looked at inDesign, I like the look but not the cost. Between Quark and inDesign, which would you choose if you eliminate the cost aspect of the argument.

RickyB

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Microsoft Word 2011 for Mac has quite good publishing tools. It can't open .pub files, however.

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Thebutchersboy,

For me there isn't much difference between Quark Xpress and Adobe InDesign. I use both of them daily. Sure there are some minor differences but in the end, they both are designed to do the same thing. They both allow you to produce nice, printer friendly layouts (that can actually be printed or exported as a PDF). Which one is better? Only you can decide which tool is the best for you. For some people, they like the fact that InDesign comes with Adobe's CS collection and they are used to Adobe's interface (and InDesign plays well with other Adobe products). Other people avoid InDesign for those same reasons (some people actually dislike and don't trust Adobe, much like lots of people dislike and don't trust Microsoft). Some people prefer Quark's interface. I would recommend that if you are seriously considering InDesign or Quark Xpress, download them both and give them a try. See for yourself which one fits your style. They are both excellent products.

As RickyB mentioned, you can use Microsoft Word but I would avoid it if you are making catalogs or brochures. As I mentioned in my previous post, if you are printing things at home or the office, Word will work fine, just like Microsoft Publisher. Sure you can use Word to make catalogs or brochures but if you are going to have them professionally printed (and the key here is professionally printed) stay away from Word. Commercial printers will tell you that they "accept" Word files. What they don't tell you is that they actually charge you more because they have to take your Word file and then rebuild it in Xpress, InDesign, or Illustrator so that they can actually print it. Word works well for what it was designed to do, to be a word processor. If you are going to be doing more than that, try something else. In the end, it all comes down to what you are planning to do and then finding the best tool for the job.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Get off publisher as soon as possible. NOTHING opens them. They are a worthless format. Sooner the better.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Educational is available for Quark Xpress

Quark Xpress has an educational version if you are in education ... and it is identical to the normal version. Its also very easy to use, and extremely powerful. There is a learning curve ... but if you know anyone to show you "how", you'd only need an hour and that's all I reckon. Quark also can publish your layouts to the Web, and also, to iPad etc formats, which would likely suit you.

Thebutchersboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
South-West UK
I already have got rid. Got in design now....what the hell was I doing, slugging away on a MS donkey of a program! Why the hell was I thinking not buying a mac three years ago when I initially considered it! Thanks guys, £400 lighter, but having a blast.

padas

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
We've used Macs forever - initially with Quark and now both Quark and InDesign. Best programs in the world. But I've been forced to design in Word - for clients who have PCs and can only work in Word. It's possible but can be hugely frustrating. Just discovered Pages, and it's really not THAT bad. Again, have to use it for a client ... simple layout that actually looks pretty decent. Aaaah and Publisher. Just got a client who gives me the option between Word and Publisher 2003. Wish me luck. :rolleyes:

MCNeil

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
New MacBookPro

I have just made the leap from Microsoft to apple and purchased a nice shiny new iMac.
I use Microsoft publisher but can't find a worthy mac friendly program. Is there anything out there. I have looked at mac pages, and it's not the great in relation to MS publisher.
Thanks
I can certainly appreciate your situation, but if you have the new office suite for MAC you can open each file and copy the entire thing to a word file and save it as a word document, It will look the same and you will be able to manipulate it in any way you like. True that is not a way to open the publisher files but at least you do not have to remake them from scratch.

RHA

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2011
Chicagoland
Hard to wean off Publisher

My better half has been using Publisher for years - simple photo collages, flyers etc. I finally bought her an iMac and she made me get rid of it! If it couldn't run Publisher (which it did via Parallels) without having to run natively she said why bother. A fight I am prepared to fight another day but why is it that no conversion tool (except to pdf) exists? The number of references to this issue is monumental.

Ah patience ....

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
My better half has been using Publisher for years - simple photo collages, flyers etc. I finally bought her an iMac and she made me get rid of it! If it couldn't run Publisher (which it did via Parallels) without having to run natively she said why bother. A fight I am prepared to fight another day but why is it that no conversion tool (except to pdf) exists? The number of references to this issue is monumental.

Ah patience ....

Because Publisher sucks. It's a dead end. Teach her how to use something better like Pages. Maybe QuarkXPress if she really needs something more powerful. Or InDesign. Seriously, Publisher is dead. I've used Publisher before and I hated it. Pages is much easier to use and you can do so much more.

russofris

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Sorry, had to chime in.

Choosing to use Publisher (even on a PC under Windows) usually a mistake. It's notoriously difficult to work with in a PrePress setting. That said, I can see it being enticing for someone that never intends to go to press.

If you're ever going to work on something that will go to a printer (and not the one connected by USB), you should seriously consider investigating something different.

F

Matsfriend

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
South Africa
Pages & iStudio

'Pages' doesn't begin to rate with MS Publisher - too prescriptive - wants to connect text boxes without request and selectively import from iPhoto and not other files. Never mind the so-called printing difficulties, which I haven't experienced, MS Publisher is easy and good because one can put a text box or picture exactly where one wants. Tempted to try iStudio Publisher but reluctant to purchase without trial. Any opinions?

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Is there a program that will open the MS files I already. So I can access the .pub files on the mac.

Microsoft Publisher is a steaming pile of abject failure. It is the software equivalent of the Black Plague.

You may open Publisher files with . . . . wait for it . . . . wait for it . . . . NOTHING . . . . . except Publisher.

Find something, anything, nothing will take its place.

Matsfriend

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
South Africa
What though?

Microsoft Publisher is a steaming pile of abject failure. It is the software equivalent of the Black Plague.

You may open Publisher files with . . . . wait for it . . . . wait for it . . . . NOTHING . . . . . except Publisher.

Find something, anything, nothing will take its place.

What is the option though? MS Publisher easily puts what you want where you want it without hassle, restriction or having to go through tons of complex training. I also enquired about iStudio Publisher. Don't to pay out for it only to discover it doesn't do the trick

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
What is the option though? MS Publisher easily puts what you want where you want it without hassle, restriction or having to go through tons of complex training. I also enquired about iStudio Publisher. Don't to pay out for it only to discover it doesn't do the trick

That is my point. There is no option.

Microsoft Publisher is an island.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.