Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new job listing on Apple's site indicates that the company is developing a "significant growth plan" for its network of Apple Premium Resellers (APRs) in India, seeking a new national manager to oversee expansion of the program.
The Apple Premium Reseller (APR) program was designed by Apple to expand and improve the market coverage and customer experience. Apple Premium Resellers offer the complete range of Macs, iPods and iPhones, along with a full complement of software and accessories.

There are currently 49 APRs in India with a significant growth plan for the future.

The NM [National Manager] will lead the expansion of the APR coverage as per plan
The new position will be based in Bangalore, where Apple has a minor existing presence.

Earlier this year, rumors surfaced suggesting that Apple was considering opening its own retail stores in India after the government relaxed laws that had required significant domestic ownership of single-brand stores. It is unclear whether Apple's planned expansion of its APR network in India means that it has decided against opening its own stores in the country, but any such Apple retail plan appears to have been a long-term project in any case.

apple_premium_reseller_india.jpg

India is one of the four "BRIC" countries whose developing economies are seen as major growth markets, with Brazil, Russia, and China also being included in that group. Apple has clearly focused its initial efforts for this group on China, although Apple CEO Tim Cook acknowledged in an interview last month that the company has also been increasing its efforts in Brazil and Russia. Consequently, India appears to be Apple's lowest priority among emerging markets, but the company is undoubtedly keeping a keen eye on developments there and building its APR network as an interim measure to increase its presence.

Article Link: Apple Planning 'Significant Growth' of Reseller Network in India

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
all i see in India is blackberries and samsung, may not be a bad idea to make apple more known over there

varunkrish

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
not really .. there are lot of iphones out here.. especially after that 3GS was selling for 375 USD

My local restaurant uses iPod Touches to serve me (most items in this restaurant cost less an $1)

iPad 2 was a big hit here due to the sensible pricing and immediate launch.

They screwed the iPhone 4S pricing by pricing it at 880 USD for the 16GB model with no contract , no free data or anything.

Macbook airs are fairly popular in India atleast amongst the business crowd.

But Apple has a long way to go in India. They are not as popular like in say in USA , UK or say Singapore

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
There is a big market there at least for Handsets and tablets (if not for the Macs).

but pricing is the issue, otherwise it is imported from countries like Singapore, USA and so on.

Also how much money Apple wants to keep it in Indian Rupees is the question? :D because of tax laws in USA.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Also how much money Apple wants to keep it in Indian Rupees is the question? :D because of tax laws in USA.
The good news is they can transfer some of even the USA portion of $100B to Canadian Dollars or Swiss Francs to preserve their value despite the domestic currency crash policies of this administration. Apple may be patriotic, but they aren't stupid. Thank god they have Gore on the board. He liked fiscal sanity even in government.

Apple only needs to leave enough cash here for salaries, new HQ's and new server farms with skeleton staffs. About $2-4B.

Rocketman

Last edited:

shashwat

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Wirelessly posted

Correctly said bushido..all i see are blackberry and samsung..!and blackberry.. And did i mention blackberry yet?I hate blackberry!and most of the people buy it cz its CHEAP...

@varunkrish-i live in kolkata nd there is a bistro here that uses ipads as menus...

Apple is going to take india seriously!m convinved about that..! But the only question is HOW SOON

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
China and India....Complete common sense, the fastest growing economies are going to get attention from all major manufacturers not just Apple. It's where the market lies, and where growth will come.

hrishidev

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
This is really good move by Apple. They are looking in BRIC countries.
I already started liking Tim Cook as CEO :apple:

bharatgupta

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
i ve been waiting eagerly for apple to arrive in India, whole heartily welcome this great company of great innovations and product, i love this brand:):apple:

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Don't be deluded. APR is not any different from a normal store selling apple products. And service isn't anywhere as good as official full Apple Store as employees do not have same expertise when there are problems with your products, so quality drops inevitably.

Though better than nothing that there is a way to buy Apple products, the fact that there is no Genius Bar means I feel very sorry for customers there.

bharatgupta

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
Don't be deluded. APR is not any different from a normal store selling apple products. And service isn't anywhere as good as official full Apple Store as employees do not have same expertise when there are problems with your products, so quality drops inevitably.

Though better than nothing that there is a way to buy Apple products, the fact that there is no Genius Bar means I feel very sorry for customers there.

fully agree with you, and that is why i want them to step in india's market "officially", its kind of a gamble to buy expensive apple stuff such as mac pro under present sell set up in India. Phones are also expensive.

i love their ipod touch though, actually i love this great company and want them to focus on india too, lets hope for the best.:apple:

----------

2 times i hold back my purchase for a macbook and a mac mini when i read horror customer stories from local blogs here in India, completely agree with the user above me who posted without genius bar apple customer exp is questionable.

widEyed

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2009
Good luck with finding Geniuses who wont blow smoke up customers arses and tell BS all day long! I love India but there's this thing about saying whatever you like to the question, truth being a totally subjective property and open to wild interpretation (ie. guessing).

Also most IT people I've spoken to when living in India don't get Apple, don't get design principles in the slightest (think it's all overpriced garbage) and cheap, cheap & cheap are their three purchasing criteria. It's was a M$ mono-theocracy when I was there in 2005 — maybe things have moved on since.

hrishidev

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
Also most IT people I've spoken to when living in India don't get Apple, don't get design principles in the slightest (think it's all overpriced garbage) and cheap, cheap & cheap are their three purchasing criteria. It's was a M$ mono-theocracy when I was there in 2005 — maybe things have moved on since.

Politely , I would like to say your observation of 2005 is obsolete now
People in India are very much aware about Apple. They appreciate and prefer overpriced Apple product. I personally know many Apple fans in India. Every major newspaper and news channel puts story about Apple events.
When iPhone was not launched officially in India , people bought iPhone for more than 600 $ Even today , iphone 4S costs more than 800 $ but people are buying it.

People in India are expecting more from Apple and Apple seems to be concentrating on building hype and demand before penetrating in market with full momentum. ( Fingers crossed )

p.s. Before launch of the new iPad , my dad who is not into computer industry told me that there is media event on 7th March for ipad 3. This speaks about awareness for Apple :apple:

Xtrucase

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
India is very marketable for hardware mfrs right now. The amount of software developers outsource there is staggering. Built and Supported there... One throat to choke for the software giants too.

NitinNike

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
Ya exactly apple products are now common in India. Even I have seen many people with iPhone 4S! Now dont try who ask me how did I know that it's an iPhone 4S. My eyes are sharp enough to find it......even I and group of 5 friends bought it the day after the lanch. Actually we were dismayed by looking at the price. But somehow we managed to buy one. They didn't even gave us some discount. I was hoping some price drop but hard luck!

ultraViolence

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
Bangalore
China and India....Complete common sense, the fastest growing economies are going to get attention from all major manufacturers not just Apple. It's where the market lies, and where growth will come.

I so agree with you. India - The second most populated country in the world... And still on "BRIC"??? Cumon Apple!

psejcf

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Planet Earth
Whether Apple opens its own retail stores or not depends a lot on local policies and the return on investment it can expect. Apple has opened a store in China because it's able to do that and China is a big market. From what I've read, in India, the rules for a company like Apple to open its own retail store mandate 30% local sourcing. Why in the world would Apple leave its well performing supply chain and manufacturers in China to source parts in India??? At what cost would that even be a "good idea" to consider? Unless Foxconn (which already has a presence in India) and Apple's other parts manufacturing partners expand in India, Apple would not be able to meet the government mandate.

And what about import duties that increase the prices by about 30% or so (for Apple products)? Apple would have no control over that for as long as the products are manufactured outside and imported.

Without government support for companies like Apple to expand, it's just not possible even if the market seems big enough. For the above reasons, Apple consumers in India would have to put up with third party resellers whose only concern for the brand value would be the money it brings in (and not really anything to do with support or service).

Restrictions like the above mentioned are why Apple products get sold very widely in gray markets and not through formal retail channels around the world, especially in Asia where Apple's presence is a lot lesser than in US, Canada and Europe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.