Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

callmemike20

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Does anyone here have a 7 day friend pass that they wouldn't mind giving away or SWTOR? I want to try the game before I buy it, but I don't know anyone who plays. Please PM me if you can help.

Also, does anyone have any current opinions on the game?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This should probably be in the game forum.

I waited all most 2 years for this game. I played the beta and lasted about 1 month in retail. This is a theme park MMORPG where a fantastic setting is diluted/polluted by RL people running around in it (my opinion). I felt like I was one of the many running around on rails, doing the required tasks to be a good Jedi or a bad Sith. Combat could be fun. Several of the low level instances called "Flash Points" are fun. It is a quality game with moderate system requirements. Ultimately you'll have to try it out yourself to find out if it clicks or not.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
My boys play this game. It is very taxing on their systems (100% usage on nVidia 560ti) which run BF3 and Skyrim fine. Personally, I feel there is an issue with Bioware's engine in this game. If you read the swtor forums you will find threads where people are burning out there graphics cards and BW seem to be doing little to solve the issue. That being said, my kids seem to love the game.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
I was in the same boat.. But I ended up geting a 7day trial.
The game was terrible for me.

Really outdated graphics, and just typical "clicky" mmorpg feel. I was hoping it would be a bit more like knights of the old republic. But not at all.
Those older games even looked nicer IMO (better art style).

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
My boys play this game. It is very taxing on their systems (100% usage on nVidia 560ti) which run BF3 and Skyrim fine. Personally, I feel there is an issue with Bioware's engine in this game. If you read the swtor forums you will find threads where people are burning out there graphics cards and BW seem to be doing little to solve the issue. That being said, my kids seem to love the game.

Bioware licensed a third party engine called HeroEngine. Havent heard much about it and i think they are the first major mmo to use it.

Was going to put this on my macbook but i guess thats out of the question now.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway

I can confirm this.
I ran it on a GTX285 and that was absolute minimum to run on high graphics.
Most of the time game ran at 60 fps, but in war zones and other places the game drops fps down to like 30.

I did play for a month, and i did play beta. (pre-ordered the game)
The game was ok, it goes very fast to max level, I used about 4.5days played and I did PvP and other diversions on the way up. THe leveling process was very fun with good quests and unique class quests. You could join friends on their class quests too, so it's a very nice game to level together with someone.
Endgame content seemed kinda broken and very limited, PvP was kinda unbalanced.

Things might be better now, but I stopped a few months ago, and I doubt I'm going back. (we were five RL friends starting to play together, the last one stopped last month)

chaserxl

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2012
I can confirm this.
I ran it on a GTX285 and that was absolute minimum to run on high graphics.
Most of the time game ran at 60 fps, but in war zones and other places the game drops fps down to like 30.

I did play for a month, and i did play beta. (pre-ordered the game)
The game was ok, it goes very fast to max level, I used about 4.5days played and I did PvP and other diversions on the way up. THe leveling process was very fun with good quests and unique class quests. You could join friends on their class quests too, so it's a very nice game to level together with someone.
Endgame content seemed kinda broken and very limited, PvP was kinda unbalanced.

Things might be better now, but I stopped a few months ago, and I doubt I'm going back. (we were five RL friends starting to play together, the last one stopped last month)

I do agree with most of what you said. The game is very demanding, especially considering the graphics it has.

And yes, it was very unbalanced in the end game level. And also - it is a fun game.

PS. I saw on http://bit.ly/H7kOKp that they were giving a few friend passes away, although I think they are out now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.