Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
You sir are correct. It actually says the exact opposite. Here is the Mac Mini warranty guidelines.

This warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product,
or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product.

Notice this line.

"damage caused by service (including upgrades
and expansions)"

Actually, I read this as damage caused by upgrades or repairs will not be covered by Apple's warranty.

It begs the question, how would they ever know. If you put your Mini all back together, the same way you received it, how could they prove you were mucking around in there?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Oh brother. Not another one of these.:rolleyes:

Unless you have a specific contract with Apple, allowing your ACMT-certified IT staff to both order parts and service them, then I don't care how large or skilled your IT army is, they aren't authorized by Apple to perform repairs. Period. There's a ton of language all over Apple's site that explains this. That said, if you do have that specific contract, then that's great, why are we discussing this further?

You got your certificate and think you are the end all of Apple knowledge. Just because you repair Macs you know contracts too. Lol.

My contract with Apple is a Self-Servicing Account that falls under the(SSA) program. It is self explanatory. But you missed that. Or did not understand I don't know which.

A link from Macworld explaining that "if apple can't tell that you were digging in your computer, your warranty isn't voided" (no **** sherlock!) and a link from Apple explaining that computer RAM and items deemed a "user-installable part" (as opposed to a "technician-installable part") may be installed by the user does nothing for your argument, given that THE HARD DRIVE ON A MAC MINI ISN'T CONSIDERED A USER-INSTALLABLE PART!

Nowhere in the Macworld article says that. If they can't tell you were digging in your computer. Sherlock. Not once.

I am a business owner who negotiated a SSA contract with Apple myself. You are a repair tech who has a certificate. Big difference.

You are governed by the contract by the business that you work at. Your place of business are governed by Apple's guidelines which Apple sets. Most authorized service providers are not allowed to make warranty decisions based on machines that have been altered by the user. The service providers do not have the power to make the decision weather the warranty is good or not. Your place of business does not have the discretion to make that distinction. Thus Apple sets up the guide lines for your business to follow.

So it is not a as you put it THE HARD DRIVE ON A MAC MINI ISN'T CONSIDERED A USER-INSTALLABLE PART! For you and your business it isn't under the contract that your business and Apple has agreed upon. A Mac Mini is not a user installable part governed by the contract that your business and Apple has together. So for you it isn't. So if you get a Mac Mini with a user installed HD at the place where you work, your business governed by the contract you have with Apple can not service that machine.

Under the scope in which your business( or the place you work)operates you are correct. Just like my business has a SSA and am allowed to service our own equipment under Apples guidelines. Each contract is different based on the business and the nature of the business needs. But overall if you upgrade your own Mac Mini, your average joe or mr consumer. It does not automatically void the warranty. Only if you damage your machine in the process. Apple knows if you replaced the HD or not, they can see when they turn it on.

Let me explain this to you. If you bring your mac mini to a Apple store for repair, say the WiFi. They can deny your warranty because they can deem it damaged due to a upgrade. Which the article suggests is the case. I don't care what link you have or don't have. This has always been the case with the Mac Mini. Even apple had instructions on how to change the HD on the older Minis. Even had a tool to do it yourself.

http://www.macworld.com/article/152061/2010/06/macmini2010handson.html

On that note, Apple’s policy on upgrading the Mac mini yourself has always been that as long as you don’t break anything in the process, your warranty is still valid. I confirmed with Apple that this is, indeed, still the case with the newest Mac mini. However, the company contends that because the new mini includes at least 320GB of hard-drive space—and you can upgrade at the time of purchase to 500GB for $100—there’s less of a need to upgrade the hard drive than when the mini shipped with only 160GB.d

I guess you ignored this for a reason.

This warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product,
or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product.

"damage caused by service (including upgrades
and expansions)"

If you were to take your Mini and you put in the HD and turn it on and a RAM module it bad, take it to the store, they cannot deny the warranty. Since the RAM cannot be deemed to be damaged due to a upgrade. Is this sinking in?

Nor can the HD be serviced by Apple, since it is a third party part. But the rest of the warranty is still good if you do not damage anything in the process.

It didn't. I know this much for a fact. Though again, feel free to expend more energy to prove me wrong.

No energy required. You're doing that for me. ;)

The entire MacRumors forums, no. The Mac mini sub-section of the MacRumors forums, yes.

So it's okay to insult the whole Mac Mini forum with your drivel. Nice one.

The MacBook Pro models being compared there are the higher-end BTO models with the CPUs with higher cache.

No there not. The i7 is standard on the 15inch and 17 inch models. But you know that already right? The base Mac Book Pros are faster than any imac other than the top end i7 imac. And the top end Mac book pros only has a few points under the top of the line imac. With Ivy bridge that performance gap will shrink further. The Mac Mini will be on par with the imac's in the not too distant future as the performance per watt goes up.

So not only do you admit that the Mac mini has a poor bang to buck ratio, but you tell me that I'm not getting it? What's there not to get? Apple wants to force form over function with the Mac mini and given that their choices for those wanting an Apple-branded desktop at the low end are Mac mini or...Mac mini, they have no choice but to go with that small form-factor, which aside from being quiet offers no real practical benefit.

No I am not. The Mac Mini's performance is not too far off from the imac. The Server outperforms all imacs other than the i7 imac. That is bang for your buck as the server costs $1000 and the i5 top end imac costs $2000. For raw power the Mac Mini server is faster. Is that form over function? Yes the GPU is weak, but there are going to be trade offs with that form factor. Yes you can build a PC for much less. But we are comparing Macs here.

It is getting easier to do and not risk stability, even when running system updates. I'd say it's perfect for a second Mac.

Okay. Lol. :rolleyes:

Can you guys just drop it? Or take it to PM? No one but you two are going to be reading your posts in its entirety. You're making it hard to scroll down the page.

Ordinarily, my attitude towards comments like is is something to the effect of "bugger off, I have just as much of a right to post whatever I want and as large of an argument thread as I so desire as I'm not violating any forum rules and you have the freedom to leave at any time". However, taking a second to step back and analyze both the argument and the sparring partner, you're right, it's not worth it.

How is running a Hackintosh a reliable solution for the average end user?

Assuming you set it up correctly and don't update it, it's perfectly reliable. Though these days, you have about as much risk running a point release patch (i.e. 10.7.x to 10.7.x+1) on a Hackintosh as you do a production Server.

That sounds hard to me. But I have seen in plenty of places that the logic board need not be removed to replace the top drive. I simply want to replace the existing 500GB 7,200rpm drive with a 256GB SSD when the price for those gets to below $300. If it's that hard, maybe I'll wait for the next generation and buy one with SSD pre-installed. And hence why I like changing my machines every year. Or at least having the option to. I won't be changing my MBA this year as the 2011 model serves all my purposes but if I get the option of quad core processor with discrete GPU then I will be changing my mac mini this year. At the end of the day, the argument I made was having the mac mini gives me more options.

The procedure isn't hard by comparison to some of the other repair jobs out there, but if you are squeamish to the idea of opening up or otherwise messing with your computer or risking breaking something, I wouldn't do it.

All great arguments here. But nowhere does it explicitly say replacing the Mini's HD voids the warranty. If so, show me these exact words.

As for replacing the bottom drive, I just did so last week without moving the logic board and without even disconnecting the fan. I just removed the Wifi antenna and cowling. I can see how some would want to move the logic board out a little, but it's not necessary.

The official service manual as well as iFixit instruct you to do it...however, as noted by the video earlier in the thread, it's not actually necessary. But really, I'd say better safe than sorry.

Actually, I read this as damage caused by upgrades or repairs will not be covered by Apple's warranty.

It begs the question, how would they ever know. If you put your Mini all back together, the same way you received it, how could they prove you were mucking around in there?

Well, yeah, if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, then who's to say anything? That said, if they see an aftermarket drive, it tends to raise questions. Luckily, Mac minis don't go to the repair depot (which is typically reserved for MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and MacBook Airs), so it's up to either the AASP cutting you a break or the dude at the genius bar cutting you a break, and in my experience, more often than not, you're dealing with a 'laxed dude.

Well maybe the intel 4000 integrated graphics are good.

If they are 60% better then the 3000 they will good enough for a lot of users. I for one would not mind a nice quad core with decent integrated graphics. I had the 2010 mac pro for 15 months a base quad with the better gpu the 5870. I tossed in the hex 3.2 april 2011 it was a very nice machine more then I needed. Once the server minis came out with fast external storage via t-bolt i sold the mac pro.
My power bill dropped 20 dollars each month!

Ah yes, back on topic, the Intel HD 4000 is supposedly noticably better than both the NVIDIA GeForce 320M used in the last round of Core 2 Duo Macs and the Intel HD 3000 used in the current round of portables, the low-end Mac mini, and the Mac mini Server. How much better? I don't know, but I think that data is floating around the interwebs somewhere. I know that it'll finally support OpenCL, so between that it potentially the fastest IGP used in a shipping Mac to date (faster than anything previously in a Mac from either Intel or NVIDIA), it'll at least be able to be marketed as an upgrade over previous low-end Macs. :-\

Last edited:

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Yeah I think it's the natural progression, the next generation Mac Mini's will probably use Ivy Bridge with Intel HD 4000 Graphics..

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Agree with you on that.

To the Hackintosh community's credit, it really has gotten a lot easier to keep a Hackintosh up-to-date. With Tiger and Leopard, the process was a joke, and even then it never worked 100% reliably, let alone 50% reliably. With Snow Leopard, and I'm sure moreso with Lion, all you have to do is manually download either the delta or combo updater, and then before rebooting, patch the same files you patched when you made the thing (which at this point, should just be drivers, as most are now able to use the stock kernel that Apple ships on its actual Macs), reboot, and you're golden.

The only time where Hackintoshing, at least these days, becomes a hassle is drivers, but if you find a build that is known to fully work, and follow a guide for it, that is verified to work, even that's not that big of a problem. If you think about it, for the cost of a Mac mini, you get something as fast as a high-end iMac, or even a low-end Mac Pro, and even if you factor in the time that it takes to ensure everything works right, you still save a boatload of money. This is why I'm not very pro-Apple-branded-desktop. I mean for others who don't want to do this, a Mac mini or even a Mac Pro is a perfect solution. But if you know enough about computers, it's ALMOST silly to ever buy one.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007

You are exactly right. If you don't damage your machine, the warranty is still good. They would know by turning the machine on and looking under system profile.

Like I said if you bring it in for a Wifi issue they can say that the warranty is void since you damaged it during the upgrade process. But if you bring it in for a bad RAM stick they cannot since that would not be from damage from a upgrade.

The key word being "damage".

Apple can just about deny the warranty if you upgrade your HD on a range of issues since replacing a HD in a mini can effect a wide range of components.

The warranty is not automatically void if they find a HD that they did not put in there like some misinformed persons would have you believe. ;)

Last edited:

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I'm hoping I'm not interrupting you guys on some intense debate, but when I tried to find some interesting ideas about Ivy Bridge on Mac Mini, I instead found out some warranty inssues, EULA, Hackintoshes, etc. Can we please get back on the topic? Thanks :D

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
I'm hoping I'm not interrupting you guys on some intense debate, but when I tried to find some interesting ideas about Ivy Bridge on Mac Mini, I instead found out some warranty inssues, EULA, Hackintoshes, etc. Can we please get back on the topic? Thanks :D

I agree.

Getting back on topic:

Here is the mobile list for Ivy bridge.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5192/ivy-bridge-mobile-lineup-overview

My guess is that the next processors we will see is the i5 3320M in the base. i5 3360m in the mid. The upgrade for the mid is a little harder to figure out. The best guess judging from the lineup in the article is the dual i7 3520M. But that part is not much different than the i5 3320M. If Apple wants people to upgrade the dual i7 just will not cut it.

Could they be putting in a 35W OEM quad core part? This processor since it's OEM only did not make it into the article. They mention it as missing.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/exclusive-mobile-quad-core-oem-ivy-bridge-processors-unveiled/14210.html

There are supposedly three 35W OEM quad core parts. Core i7-3615QM, Core i7-3612QM and Core i7-3610QM. With the Core i7-3615QM being the likely candidate of being in the min grade mini non server model in my opinion. The Core i7-3615QM should be faster than the current Mini Server, and will have room for a discreet GPU. The best of both worlds.

The i7-3720QM will most likely be in the Server model for ivy bridge. There isn't much difference between the Core i7-3615QM and the i7-3720QM other than 10W and 300Mhz. Do you take the extra power of the 3720 with the 4000 intel GPU or do you take the slightly less powerfull 3615 with a discreet GPU?

If it goes that way I know which I am choosing.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The warranty is not automatically void if they find a HD that they did not put in there like some misinformed persons would have you believe. ;)

I'm sorry, we're you saying something?

What else is there to say on the matter?

They'll have Ivy Bridge, they'll most likely maintain the same form factor. They'll most likely have quad-core down the line. They will probably have the Intel HD 4000 IGP at the low end (it'll be the fastest IGP they have ever put in a Mac), they'll likely have another weak discrete GPU on the high end, and that's it. What further "interesting ideas" would you like to have discussed at this stage of the thread?

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I'm sorry, we're you saying something?

What else is there to say on the matter?

They'll have Ivy Bridge, they'll most likely maintain the same form factor. They'll most likely have quad-core down the line. They will probably have the Intel HD 4000 IGP at the low end (it'll be the fastest IGP they have ever put in a Mac), they'll likely have another weak discrete GPU on the high end, and that's it. What further "interesting ideas" would you like to have discussed at this stage of the thread?

Well, what about the design? If I do remember correctly, the design has been the same since 2007 or 2008. I guess since there aren't any more rumors about Apple using Liquid Metal for the upcoming Macs. What about the release date? According to the buyer's guide, its around 340 days, and that's about two to three month from now. Just curious.

Well, I would like to see a new thread about 'EULAs and voding warranty' if this thing goes on. I'm not being picky about it, hopefully.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Well, what about the design? If I do remember correctly, the design has been the same since 2007 or 2008. I guess since there aren't any more rumors about Apple using Liquid Metal for the upcoming Macs. What about the release date? According to the buyer's guide, its around 340 days, and that's about two to three month from now. Just curious.

The Mac mini was updated in July. It is now January. Unless my math is way off, that's nowhere near 340 days. They last changed the design in 2010. Given that the previous design lasted from 2005 to 2010" it's safe to assume we have a good while longer with this design. As for liquid metal, I think that speculation has long been debunked. Anything else?

Well, I would like to see a new thread about 'EULAs and voding warranty' if this thing goes on. I'm not being picky about it, hopefully.

You kind of are here, but whatevs.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
The Mac mini was updated in July. It is now January. Unless my math is way off, that's nowhere near 340 days. They last changed the design in 2010. Given that the previous design lasted from 2005 to 2010" it's safe to assume we have a good while longer with this design. As for liquid metal, I think that speculation has long been debunked. Anything else?

You kind of are here, but whatevs.

Well, if you do your math correctly, it's been bout six months, so when I say 'two to three months from now' I mean two to three months from February, not from July of 2011.
Well, as for liquid metal, it's kind of sad for me that it's been debunked. I was expecting some cool Mac lineups in 2012.

phonitron

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

When the fans spin at 5500rpm it's loud. Hairdryer loud! The AMD graphics mini is louder than the base model with its fans much quicker to whirr up. Convert video, play games, import photographs into iPhoto, export a composition frpm garageband, watch online vids, copy a lot of files from one place to another, or erase the recycle bin/erase a drive in disk utility securely and the fans go mental!

So pretty much everything then...

I've experience with both AMD and base mini models and ended up returning both models because of noise. It's one thing I can't abide.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Well, if you do your math correctly, it's been bout six months, so when I say 'two to three months from now' I mean two to three months from February, not from July of 2011.
Well, as for liquid metal, it's kind of sad for me that it's been debunked. I was expecting some cool Mac lineups in 2012.

Apple put the last Mac mini out more than a year after the one before it. They also never put the same mobile CPU/Chipset/IGP in the Mac minis before putting that same stuff in the 13" MacBook Pros first. Given that the MacBook Pros were updated a little over three months ago, I suspect it'll be at least seven months until we see the Ivy Bridge Mac minis. We might see another round of Sandy Bridge Mac minis first, but I'm skeptical of that. Apple doesn't really need to update the Mac mini more often than annually anyway as MOST of those who are Mac mini customers tend to not really care about how dated the components are or aren't inside.

As for liquid metal, it's not like the current design of the Mac mini isn't tons better and cooler-looking than the last one. I'd say we still have a couple more revs with this design at the minimum. But honestly, I have no problem with that; while I think the form factor is inherently stupid, at least Apple did a great job of making it look cool.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

When the fans spin at 5500rpm it's loud. Hairdryer loud! The AMD graphics mini is louder than the base model with its fans much quicker to whirr up. Convert video, play games, import photographs into iPhoto, export a composition frpm garageband, watch online vids, copy a lot of files from one place to another, or erase the recycle bin/erase a drive in disk utility securely and the fans go mental!

So pretty much everything then...

I've experience with both AMD and base mini models and ended up returning both models because of noise. It's one thing I can't abide.

Wow! I guess it makes sense that the discrete AMD graphics model would be louder on average, but I wouldn't have ever suspected that it was THAT much louder than the base model. I directed my stepfather to get that model. Personally, if money is no object, I say there's no reason not to go MacBook Pro over Mac mini. But that's just me.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
Can't wait for the i7 ivy mac mini. Even with the next gen intel graphics it will will be a killer little power house. As long as it will have 256GB SD and up to 16GB of ram.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Can't wait for the i7 ivy mac mini. Even with the next gen intel graphics it will will be a killer little power house. As long as it will have 256GB SD and up to 16GB of ram.

I mean if you get the current higher-end i7 Mac mini with an SSD and stuff in 16GB of RAM it's already a killer little power house. The Intel HD 4000 graphics won't be anything amazing as Intel graphics is consistently behind even AMD or NVIDIA's latest IGP technology. It will be undoubtedly better than the NVIDIA GeForce 320M and Intel HD 3000, which is good as the HD 3000 wasn't clearly better than the 320M and that pissed a lot of people (including me) off and sealed the deal for my next MBP to be a 15" and not a 13".

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
The USB 3.0 is the biggest step up for me, i love my mac mini 2011 though. Ivy Bridge is cool and all but if anyone is on the edge and need a new desktop buying the current mac mini is not the end of the world.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The USB 3.0 is the biggest step up for me, i love my mac mini 2011 though. Ivy Bridge is cool and all but if anyone is on the edge and need a new desktop buying the current mac mini is not the end of the world.

To be fair this is the main reason why I'm waiting for the next round of MacBook Pros; otherwise I'd buy the current Late 2011 model and be happy and done with it. Though it's true, the current models for both mini and MBP are fantastic Macs.

parestailor

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
London, UK

i agree with this, i think once you go ssd you just can't go back and once your use to a certain level of ram you can't go lower. the new mini mac's will be really good, i just hope we can still upgrade them ourselves to SSD drives and option to bump up the RAM.

I've always purchased a base model and then bumped it up myself

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Good review, but the 35W 2,1/2,3 GHz Quad-Core i7 model will also have a new graphics card. Does anybody knows which new graphics card, which is faster than the 6630M, uses only up to 12W of power? Not too easy to find the TDP from graphics cards...

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Reviewing what's been posted..

2012 Mac mini Server possibilities/speculation:
  • i7-3720QM, quad core, 45W, 2.6MHz, Sandy Bridge
  • xxxxx, quad core, 35W, 2.1GHz or 2.3GHz, Ivy Bridge
:D

Those would be excellent. Can't wait to see what finally arrives. It's April, now... still got 3 months, most likely.

I doubt there will be any major redesign, but I could imagine Apple crunching down the mini even more and getting rid of the second disk space. It would be tragic, but somehow it would be something Apple do to make smaller devices--their current MO.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Good review, but the 35W 2,1/2,3 GHz Quad-Core i7 model will also have a new graphics card. Does anybody knows which new graphics card, which is faster than the 6630M, uses only up to 12W of power? Not too easy to find the TDP from graphics cards...

this is a real problem.

Those would be excellent. Can't wait to see what finally arrives. It's April, now... still got 3 months, most likely.

I doubt there will be any major redesign, but I could imagine Apple crunching down the mini even more and getting rid of the second disk space. It would be tragic, but somehow it would be something Apple do to make smaller devices--their current MO.

I hope you are wrong. a lot depends on the mac pro for 2012.

will they shrink both the mac pro and the mac mini?

will they kill the mac pro off and boost the mini?

Will they boost the mac pro to a dual cpu very high end truly pro machine.

Thus causing the real need for an bigger mac mini as a BTO? WE CAN ONLY HOPE!

grapey

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
New mac mini pro

Draft 1.jpg
The geniuses at cupertino have outdone themselves once again. This recently leaked photo depicts the MacMiniPro.
the features seem to include
-An optical drive
-A screen
-A tiny trackpad
Given the feature set I expect that the MacMiniPro would function well as a portable dvd player or picture frame, but would still require an external keyboard for full functionality.
I for one am ready to upgrade to this fantastic new machine.:D

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005

I have a 2008 Mac Pro. I liked it a lot until last week when the power supply died. It's no fun lugging that computer to the Apple store. I should have known better than to keep it this long.

I'm replacing it with a maxed out mini this week (corporate purchase). I bought the Mac Pro primarily for the internal hard drives and a processor fast enough to run VMWare Fusion and Windows. Now that minis have a dual drive option (including SSD for the applications/system drive!) and can easily handle Windows I don't need a Mac Pro anymore. If the mini breaks, it's trivial to bring it to the Apple store.

I don't think we'll see any new models until Mountain Lion ships. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the OS angle. Apple shipped the current mini after it shipped Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.