Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In Anandtech's lengthy iPad review, they reveal knowledge of an internal Apple project for a game controller for iOS:
I know of an internal Apple project to bring a physical controller to market, but whether or not it will ever see the light of day remains to be seen. As smartphones and tablets come close to equalling the performance of current game consoles, I feel like the controller problem must be addressed.
icade1.jpg

ION's iCade Mobile shown at CES​
Apple is not the first company to have considered such a device for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Several 3rd party companies have worked on similar devices over the years. iControlPad was one of the first and is now shipping. Ion Audio's iCade followup (pictured above) also allows users to enclose their iOS device within a controller offering physical buttons and controls. Apple has even applied for a patent on a similar design.

These 3rd party solutions however have generally been relegated to keyboard emulation over Bluetooth rather than full fledged dock-supporting accessories. In fact, we'd heard that Apple had originally supported these accessory makers in their quest to make official dock-connector game controllers, but then the approval process was mysteriously halted. Some had speculated at the time that Apple was working on their own game controller solution. We've heard little else about this, though Atari's recently announced Arcade Joystick does now use the dock connector.

Article Link: Apple Has Worked on a Physical Game Controller for iPhone

smitha96

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
I'm sure if Apple makes it, that's exactly what it will look like too. So beautiful, simple and clean. [/sarcasm]

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'd rather see one for the iPad. It makes more sense. I personally use a Wii controller on my MacBook Pro and it works well. Something like the Apple Remote with motion sensors, a little thicker, and different buttons would work.

I would think they would be more focused on the iPod Touch though and not the iPhone...

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
If Apple made a controller like that, it'd be a circular touchpad on the left and one, maybe two, buttons on the right.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Professor Brundle accidentally crossed an iPhone, an original Nintendo commercial, 1 quart of fingerprint grease and 3 gallons of ugly with his teleporter.

dneades

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2006
Isle of Man
Support PS3 controllers

I’d be more than happy if they’d just add support for Bluetooth PS3 controllers to iOS – doesn’t OS X already have this? I’m not sure that Apple needs to build their own controller hardware, although that could potentially be a neater solution for gaming when one is out and about, especially with the iPhone.

stickyd8

macrumors member
May 26, 2009
I don't understand why Apple hasn't done this yet, anyway. I realize Jobs thought any accessory needed for an iPhone of iPad meant the device was DOA, but I don't think he realized the amount of games and the market share it has stolen from DSI and PSP. If Apple created their own controller, all the DEVs would be able to just code their games to work with it, since it would be the defacto controller........and after that's established, 3rd party manufact. could come out with their Apple copy-cats. I love my iPad and iPhone, but they are in desperate need of a universal controller to really win over the hardcore gamers and games that require more precise movements or pressure to really operate.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I feel if Apple made a game controller it would be a wireless accessory.

Making a "detachable" iPhone controller is very un-Apple as it becomes completely useless when detached from the phone, and would take up a lot of space. Plus it would have to be compatible with iPod Touch as well, meaning it would either need adapters or be awkwardly shaped for one of the devices.

I think an Apple wireless controller would have dual analog sticks plus a few buttons. The sticks would be similar to those on the PS Vita so that the device would have a thin profile. Size-wise I think it would be similar to an iPhone in dimensions, but with a little more grip on both sides. Also it would include an accelerometer, to allow tilt based games to be controlled from afar.

It wouldn't be the most ergonomic controller, but it would be the most portable to allow the iPad to become an all-in-one portable gaming console.

I don't think Apple will do it though, as there are still many issues with it. Separate chargers (Unless it uses 30 pin connector or batteries), no way to launch apps with it when it is hooked up via HDMI (because home screen requires touch input. Unless they added a new control method specifically for it, which is possible...), Compatibility issues when it is first released, etc.

Mad Man

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
What an utterly ugly game controller - looks cheap and plastic like - glad Apple has better designers.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
If Apple does make a games controller for iOS, I'm sure it won't look like that. I think it more likely a single controller that will be useable with all devices.

Perhaps instead of attaching the controller to the device, they attach to the fingers. So the joystick has an adjustable ring around your thumb, and a base that won't slide on the device. Buttons are the same, but only have to sense when you touch the device (so don't even need to worry about non-slip). And your fingers cannot slip off these controls like they can virtual controls.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Apple won't be making stand-alone game controller for iOS devices. At most, they may be doing an iPhone software app to control games on iPads / AppleTVs. But stand-alone hardware controller? Not happening.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Apple won't be making stand-alone game controller for iOS devices. At most, they may be doing an iPhone software app to control games on iPads / AppleTVs. But stand-alone hardware controller? Not happening.

Agreed.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
I'm sure they experimented with it, but I doubt it'll see the light of day. I think we'll see multitouch controls in the bezel or an additional touch screen like on the Vita before we see them release something with buttons or joysticks. The touch screen has been working just find in their eyes for gaming with the success of things like Angry Birds and Infinity Blade.

Without physical controls though, for serious gamers, the iOS devices will always be simply a diversion. I prefer to play games on my old-school PSP over my iPod touch. Gaming on the touch has too small of a screen and half of that has to be taken up with on-screen controls or the controls have to be dumbed down to be able to be done with the gyro and swipes.

antseg

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
New Jersey
Apple probably works on many, many projects that never see the light of day. Someone probably brought up the fact that the iPhone is a decent device for games and a controller-type addition could be a logical next step. A green light to work on it doesn't mean it'll ever get to customers. I don't understand the need to present this as anything more than rumor (with huge disclaimers).

That being said, I'm sure Apple would come up with something really cool and interesting and I would love to play with it.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
I guess the iCade folks assume people will pay money to look like jackasses in public.

EDIT: Also, I would love to see someone answer the phone with that monstrosity on there lol.

travishill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
In this context just a note that you can directly use Bluetooth 4.0 accessories on iOS hardware that supports it. Today there are things like heart rate monitors that already do this- no keyboard "hack" required.

A standard solution is most desirable for all, but at least with the advent of Bluetooth 4 in iOS devices the future could be less hack-ish...

djalice

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2004
UK
Wirelessly posted

All Apple need to do is make the home button into a D-pad to improve things massively! This could have zero impact on aesthetics. The 'fire' button could be the entire screen as it the running/jumping, left/right that needs sorting. Do that, and along with Apple TV mirroring, you have the start of a real console smasher!

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I got New Potato's Pinball Magic table for the iPhone. It uses a dock connector. It has a lot of promise, but the company unfortunately hasn't delivered on its promise to add more tables that work with it. So right now there's just one mediocre table available. That's the problem with lots of different accessories from different manufacturers. There needs to be a standard that they all can follow. Apple could establish that.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Please result in an end product. Something like the ION pictured, but with proper API support and prettier looking would be great.

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
This is one of a number of reasons why Apple buying Nintendo would make sense. Whether you like their consoles and games or not, there is no disputing that Nintendo know how to make controllers and have revolutionised them more than once. They would come up with the perfect controllers for all the iOS devices and the Mac.

Plus they're a snip at the moment, market cap is just $22bn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.