Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacipodiphone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
I have decided to wait for the new imac that will come out soon and I have recently found out that apple also sells refurbished ones. The prices on those were much cheaper, but are they reliable? Do they look and work brand new and do they come in an original box?

Also how long would it take for refurbished models of the new imacs start selling on apple's website, if I were to get one?

Kryptik.Kode

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I know the refurbished machines are pristine. They look just like a new one. They replace any parts that have visible wear on them. They also come with the same warranty 1 year as the new ones. They also qualify for AppleCare. I would have no issues recommending buying a refurbished Mac. You won't notice a difference. They only thing that is different is that it comes in a brown box instead of the standard box I believe.

There is no reason to NOT buy a refurb unless you really don't like the idea or you really want the original box.

NightRyder

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2012
Liverpool, England
My only problem with a refurbished one is, as a student, I would not get student discount and so actually becomes more expensive.

However, if you are not a student, then a refurbished one is the way to go. Much cheaper, and as stated will be "as new".

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
For me, even without the student discount, my 27" 2011 refurb mac ended up being cheaper.

No problems so far and it's going about 6 months strong right now,

And ya, apple provides 1 year warranty so that should help

matbook101

macrumors 6502
Well I got the low end 27" iMac new for the same price a refurb. I went to macmalls ebay store ($1600 there) and used a 10% off up to $100 coupon for ebay and got it for $1500. The refurb model is $1419 + tax.

illini71

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2010
My only problem with a refurbished one is, as a student, I would not get student discount and so actually becomes more expensive.

However, if you are not a student, then a refurbished one is the way to go. Much cheaper, and as stated will be "as new".

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the student discount only 50$.

Refurbished laptops and iMacs are around 200$ off of the retail price.

What kind of discount are you getting for being student?

X Cruz 187

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2011
Texas
"Student Discount"

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the student discount only 50$.

Refurbished laptops and iMacs are around 200$ off of the retail price.

What kind of discount are you getting for being student?

$50 off Air

$100 off Mac Book Pro

$30 off Mini

$50 off iMac :apple:

DryEyez

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
UK
If it were any other company my vote would be for new, but when its apple, reefurbished, save yourself some cash,mifmanything goes wrong apple will fix it

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
We know that refurbished units are 100% manually tested. Each and every system is tested after it's been rebuilt... When brand new and being built down the assembly line, only a random sample of systems are tested. When new (as in brand new), not all 100% iMac systems are tested. Only a sample. Therefore.... Risk of getting a defective refurbished (rebuilt) system is much lower - when compared to brand new (never been used before) systems...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.