Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
It's about time that Apples enters the handheld video game market. Since Apple designs and manufactures beautiful displays, a handheld device makes a lot of sense. Now to bring game developers onboard! :)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted

Apple hardly makes games, why would they want to make a controller?

Hardly? You mean doesn't. They made that poker game and ditched it. Never updated it and then dropped it completely a while back.

They wouldn't make a controller but they wouldn't block them either. The best they might do is some API support if developers wanted to make and use one. But it seems like that's already in the system.

----------

It's about time that Apples enters the handheld video game market.

Already there, already got the developers. It's called the iPhone/ipod touch and iPad. Sure it might not be the same as how Sony and Nintendo do it but that doesn't make it any less valid.

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
To me it is what would just complete the iPhone.

I mean there are great games you can get for it now like GTAIII, and downvote me all you want, but playing it on a touch screen is just terrible really. Having physical controls to play some games would make them infinitely better.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I’d be more than happy if they’d just add support for Bluetooth PS3 controllers to iOS – doesn’t OS X already have this? I’m not sure that Apple needs to build their own controller hardware, although that could potentially be a neater solution for gaming when one is out and about, especially with the iPhone.

"Lucy could you hold my iPhone for me, just for 20 minutes. I've connected my PS3 controller and Kevin has challenged me to a quick race on [generic kart racing game that isn't as good as Mario Kart]"

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Im sorry but games on ios are completely overrated.

I love my iPad and iPhone but the games are decent on the ****ter but I'll stick to the Xbox for real games.

Seriously put down the Koolaid.

Angry birds is sooooooo overrated

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Out of due diligence Apple probably is developing something like this, but remember why SJ originally killed the arrow keys on the original Mac keyboard: to force people to use/develop for the mouse. The iOS touch interfaces are one of the system's defining features; I'm sure Apple would rather steer/encourage/force people to innovate with/around it than to have an iOS device "regress" to the old (somebody else's) way of doing things.

I don't think a touchscreen can ever compare to real buttons. Have you ever tried playing Super Mario Bros Deluxe on an iPhone with an emulator? It's just more reliable and quicker to use buttons.

Of course, that game is not made for a touchscreen, but what about games where you use the touchscreen motions to jump and stuff? Every time I die in Temple Run, it's because I wanted to jump, but my character did something else because I didn't do the motion quite right.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Hardly? You mean doesn't. They made that poker game and ditched it. Never updated it and then dropped it completely a while back.

They made a chess Mac app and that puzzle widget. We need Nintendo in the iOS gaming market.

DryEyez

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
UK
I would love a physical gamepad, not a fan of touchscreen when used as an actual gamepad, it has its limitations

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
No, you're weak, you don't play with power.

Play with power?

The real complaint I have about the 3DS is the new analog control pad thingy. I'd much rather have a full-on D-pad or a control stick. Oh, and the 3DS and DSi both lack GameBoy Advance support, so they're pretty much worse than the 2004 DS.

In the 6 years after the DS lite, Nintendo has made backwards progress on their portable gaming systems. They sold a lot of Wiis, but I don't know ANYONE who likes their Wii (and almost everyone I know has one). The motion control gets annoying quickly, and their awesome game series went downhill.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Play with power?

Just a reference to the old NES commercials

The real complaint I have about the 3DS is the new analog control pad thingy. I'd much rather have a full-on D-pad or a control stick. Oh, and the 3DS and DSi both lack GameBoy Advance support, so they're pretty much worse than the 2004 DS.

In the 6 years after the DS lite, Nintendo has made backwards progress on their portable gaming systems. They sold a lot of Wiis, but I don't know ANYONE who likes their Wii (and almost everyone I know has one). The motion control gets annoying quickly, and their awesome game series went downhill.

The analog pad on the 3DS is much better than the equivalents on the PSP and Vita.
I agree the removal of the GBA port on the DSi was a very bad tradeoff for a couple of millimeters thinner system, but the 3DS is a completely new generation system.
To suggest it's not better than a DS Lite because of the lack of the GBA port is ridiculous, there are always sacrifices and backward compatibility on gaming systems usually don't extend further than the previous generation system anyway and the 3DS does have backward compatibility with DS games.
Not to mention that you can get GBA and even old NES and Game Boy games on the 3DS by the Virtual Console.
I have a Wii, Skyward Sword alone is a reason to have one and after playing with the near perfect 1 to 1 motion controls in SS I can't imagine going back to regular button mashing again.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
"Lucy could you hold my iPhone for me, just for 20 minutes. I've connected my PS3 controller and Kevin has challenged me to a quick race on [generic kart racing game that isn't as good as Mario Kart]"

stands and tv out cables/airplay mirroring say hi.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Apple won't enter the video game market because they'll have their butts handed to them by Nintendo and Sony both of which who are very good at making video game systems and are struggling.

The price point of Nintendo/Sony games plus the hardware are what is killing them.

If you already have an iphone (which a lot of people do because they like smart phones) then you can literally buy about 20-30 new iphone games for the price of a top shelf PS Vita or Nintendo DS game.

I don't care how nice your stuff is... you're going to have a hard time competing against someone who is selling stuff at 95% off of what you're charging!

Also, that controller in the photo is the oogliest piece of junk i've ever seen.

macintoshi

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Switzerland
Wirelessly posted

you could put the joystick near the iphone cam on the top left corner and the 4buttons on the bottom left near the homebutton, instead releasing a whole new big toy or external device.if you dont like to change the iphone look,create a iphone case to add that joystick and buttons on that place i mentioned before...

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
= Already there, already got the developers. It's called the iPhone/ipod touch and iPad. Sure it might not be the same as how Sony and Nintendo do it but that doesn't make it any less valid.

I suppose if you consider the iPod, iPhone, and iPad handheld video game units, then that's cool. I mean a dedicated unit though! The iDevices are cool, but their capabilities are no where near the rest of the video game segment.

Last edited:

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I would love a WiFi and Bluetooth physical controller that I can connect to my iPhone or iPad, and play games with on my HDTV :D

So awesome...

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I would love, love, love a physical controller add-on. Either PSP style or maybe as an Xbox 360 controller with a screen stuck in the middle lol. I'm a fan of FPSs and sports games (specifically NHL), both of which are fairly difficult to play on a touchscreen.

And if I could use a PS3 controller for playing games on my iOS device whilst it's connected to the TV, that too would be super awesome.

Or maybe just a retro Gameboy-like case so I can play Pokemon for hours on end :D

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Really dont see a reason in doing this, the whole point of the phone in the first place was to not need buttons...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.