Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I agree with everyone, this would be too laggy

plus I'm still in ancient times and have wireless G in the house (in between routers at the moment)

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
What would someone use this for? This isn't a stab at the software... I just can't think of a use for it, and I'm legitimately interested.
I use it all the time on-demand to bring up a second Word document to reference at the same time when I want to save real-estate on my MacBook Air screen. Works great.

Word isn't HiDPI-enabled though, looks the same. Wow does Finder and System Preferences look great though!

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
I was hoping I could use it with photoshop but it lags way too much and the Photoshop controls are too small on the screen. I'm not really that impressed with it and don't see this as front page news. I bet it's sponsored by Air Display.

joelvega125

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted

Why would you use an iPad for a second display? I'm guessing people on here have the ridiculous 27 incher and a cinema display. So what's the point. Enlighten me please... :)

tburling

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2007
A novelty perhaps but one that makes use of some hi-res screen real estate that was heretofore being used just to display a 10-inch digital clock next to my 27-inch thunderbolt screen.

OnEMoReTrY

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
Wirelessly posted

Why would you use an iPad for a second display? I'm guessing people on here have the ridiculous 27 incher and a cinema display. So what's the point. Enlighten me please... :)

I do a lot of programming at school and from various locations with my group on my Macbook Air. I would use this to have a Visio document with sequence diagrams, data models, etc. while I'm programming. It would come in handy for when I have work to do and I'm not at home on my desktop. It's definitely better than nothing in those situations.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Its only a waste if someone else would be using it instead of you, otherwise its a waste NOT to use it when you could

Why use an $800 device to do the work of a $100 device??? That's just plain stupid, don't you think? It would be a waste of an iPad's processor to use it as a plain display. And on top of that, laggy.

----------

I do a lot of programming at school and from various locations with my group on my Macbook Air. I would use this to have a Visio document with sequence diagrams, data models, etc. while I'm programming. It would come in handy for when I have work to do and I'm not at home on my desktop. It's definitely better than nothing in those situations.

You could convert those diagrams to PDF, then view them on the iPad while programming, plus you could be making annotations of all kinds to it.

I would recommend the GoodReader App for this purpose. It's the most complete and stable of them all.

Combine it with Dropbox for synchronization, and you've got yourself a complete solution.

----------

On the new Air's you can only have one external display, this makes an easy and cheap way to add a tertiary monitor if you already own an iPad.

Also with the Air you have an awesome portable dual screen setup.

Here's a better solution: http://www.startech.com/usb-video-adapters

For portability, I agree with you.

But as I said before I wouldn't be using an $800 device to do the job of a $100 device. It's like buying a monster truck to deliver pizza in Brooklyn.

I would rather use the iPad as a second computer in my configuration, and take advantage of it this way.
I currently do Email, Skype, and other tasks on the iPad while working on my main Mac in multi-monitor mode.

Last edited:

mcsenerd

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Irving, TX
Have Mac peeps always been this pissy? Are they never happy? Do they still have their panties twisted from Steve's passing? Anyway...this program works just fine so long as you live within its confines (can't we say the same damn thing about a great many things in life?). If you expect to be playing first person shooters on a dang display hooked up over heavily trafficked wifi connections...well...let's just say there's more than just a screw loose going around. If you don't mind using it to improve your productivity with some slightly static information...well...it's not a bad little program for only $9.99.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Wirelessly posted

Primarily to impress their friends and co-workers. No real performance and functionality.

This is basically a virtual display driver that takes advantage of the VNC protocol to make the iPad become an extra monitor.

And don't say it's for email, the iPad already has an email app that can be used.

----------

Have Mac peeps always been this pissy? Are they never happy? Do they still have their panties twisted from Steve's passing? Anyway...this program works just fine so long as you live within its confines (can't we say the same damn thing about a great many things in life?). If you expect to be playing first person shooters on a dang display hooked up over heavily trafficked wifi connections...well...let's just say there's more than just a screw loose going around. If you don't mind using it to improve your productivity with some slightly static information...well...it's not a bad little program for only $9.99.

Definitely, it could save the day in an emergency or special situation, but definitely not for everyday use. it makes no-sense; just buy a cheap monitor.

----------

Wirelessly posted

Still amazing no less. Cant wait for retina macbook air

It's coming... Hopefully soon, maybe in the summer when Mountain Lion launches... (?) :D

----------

I agree with everyone, this would be too laggy

plus I'm still in ancient times and have wireless G in the house (in between routers at the moment)

Ouch! I understand your pain... Wait a little for the new Apple Airport Extreme, coming out very soon.

----------

I was hoping I could use it with photoshop but it lags way too much and the Photoshop controls are too small on the screen. I'm not really that impressed with it and don't see this as front page news. I bet it's sponsored by Air Display.

Well, it's being driven by the VNC protocol, so can't expect much from it.

----------

will this mode change anything for ipad2?

I don't believe it will make it any better or worse...

mcsenerd

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Irving, TX
Definitely, it could save the day in an emergency or special situation, but definitely not for everyday use. it makes no-sense; just buy a cheap monitor.

Who in their flippin' right mind ever said this was for day to day, constant, or high performance use? It's clearly a tool...all tools can be misused...but they are beneficial in the right situations. I don't have any issues with your premise...only that it is a straw man position. I don't think anyone has misled someone to believe that this is some sort of high performance solution (if it was...I can guarantee you it would cost more than two flippin' lattes:)).

I don't fly with an extra monitor...but I do fly with my iPad...

FromageTheDog

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
..this program works just fine so long as you live within its confines (can't we say the same damn thing about a great many things in life?)...it's not a bad little program for only $9.99.

NO. No, no, no. The program DOESN'T "work just fine."

That said, yes, IF it worked without crippling issues, $9.99 is totally reasonable.

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
Use which part for?

What would someone use this for? This isn't a stab at the software... I just can't think of a use for it, and I'm legitimately interested.

I use AirDisplay quite often when I am studying in the library, or when I'm at home and would like to watch something while coding. At least with my experience Air Display is quite fast and works quick enough to put my VLC window on my iPad. I can keep working in Xcode and be able to glance at some futurama every once in a while without having to minimize or go to another desktop. I love being able to quickly add a second monitor on whereever I am without having to actually carry a huge LCD around.

HiDPI just makes the graphics that much more crisp on the new iPad's display.

mcsenerd

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Irving, TX

That said, yes, IF it worked without crippling issues, $9.99 is totally reasonable.

Yes yes yes... I use it daily without issues, so it works without "crippling" issues for me. But of course...my crippling issues don't involve using it for full motion video or some sort of high definition image editing on a wifi/vnc connection :rolleyes:

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Why use an $800 device to do the work of a $100 device??? That's just plain stupid, don't you think? It would be a waste of an iPad's processor to use it as a plain display. And on top of that, laggy.

People'd who use this already have an iPad that they use for something else. Nobody said everybody's going to get an iPad just to act as a static display. If people really need a second or third monitor, they'll spend $100 to get a monitor.

For people who already have an iPad, they can just buy the $10 app to make it act as a second/third monitor, most likely not for full time.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004

----------

You could convert those diagrams to PDF, then view them on the iPad while programming, plus you could be making annotations of all kinds to it.

I would recommend the GoodReader App for this purpose. It's the most complete and stable of them all.

Combine it with Dropbox for synchronization, and you've got yourself a complete solution.

----------

Here's a better solution: http://www.startech.com/usb-video-adapters

For portability, I agree with you.

But as I said before I wouldn't be using an $800 device to do the job of a $100 device. It's like buying a monster truck to deliver pizza in Brooklyn.

I would rather use the iPad as a second computer in my configuration, and take advantage of it this way.
I currently do Email, Skype, and other tasks on the iPad while working on my main Mac in multi-monitor mode.

Wow, so ignorant when not considering other peoples uses.

$800 why, try $499 plus $10.

Why deal with annotating a PDF in iOS when you can do it on your Mac without moving your fingers off your keyboard.

Why you keep complaining about a $10 software that some people have uses for, but obviously not you. Considering the target market already purchased an iPad, $10 more for bringing more uses to an iPad is obvious, your complaints are really silly.

Sorry I can't fit a 20" external display and USB adaptor in my small bag that fits my 13" MBA and iPad..

I own the app and occasionally use it because of my current setup, but the times I do/did was well worth over $100 in every instance.

D-Love

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
A retina 11 inch MacBook Air and this would be a nice mobile workstation solution.

gullySn0wCat

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2010
This is definitely nice to use with my MBP for some more space. I certainly wouldn't buy an iPad just for this purpose, but if you have one around then why not? I don't know many external monitors you can just slip into your bag either ;-)

PS the fastest way to use this if you use Ethernet for your internet access is to create an ad hoc WiFi network on your computer, and connect the iPad to that network.

mok749

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2010
It's faster to hook it up using usb tethering. To do this you need to jailbreak, get a tethering app, tether to your computer (if you use MiWi, make sure you use the blue tethering bar instead of the icon), and connect that way instead of regular wifi.

Much smoother.

Can anyone get Hidpi to work on iphone4? I can get the retina resolution, but can't get hidpi? I know that it'll make the screen space REALLY small, but I want to see what hidpi will look like when we finally get retina displays on macbooks (hopefully this summer!)

FromageTheDog

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
Wirelessly posted

mcsenerd said:
FromageTheDog said:

Yes yes yes... I use it daily without issues, so it works without "crippling" issues for me. But of course...my crippling issues don't involve using it for full motion video or some sort of high definition image editing on a wifi/vnc connection :rolleyes:

Video editing? When did I ever claim to be doing that? I simply want to be able to enable sleep (you know, to save the battery?), which means the login screen breaks, and the display tries to sleep every few minutes regardless of whether there is user activity or not.

If you have somehow managed to avoid these issues, by all means contact Avatron. They and many users would love to hear your magic formula, I'm sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.