Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjddrum1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I had my iPhone 4 stolen and placed a claim. They said they would replace it with an iPhone 4. It didn't ship, so I logged in to check my claim and it said they didn't have any iPhone 4's so they would upgrade me to an iPhone 4s. I'm obviously totally fine with this. My question however is:

-if its a refurb phone, can I somehow call them and have them ship me a brand new one?
-Anyone have experience with the iPhone 4s' that asurion is shipping out?

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I had my iPhone 4 stolen and placed a claim. They said they would replace it with an iPhone 4. It didn't ship, so I logged in to check my claim and it said they didn't have any iPhone 4's so they would upgrade me to an iPhone 4s. I'm obviously totally fine with this. My question however is:

-if its a refurb phone, can I somehow call them and have them ship me a brand new one?

So your iPhone 4 was stolen and they are replacing it with a 4S. Refurb or not who cares you are getting upgraded for basically free. People these days.

cjddrum1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
So your iPhone 4 was stolen and they are replacing it with a 4S. Refurb or not who cares you are getting upgraded for basically free. People these days.

Asurion refurbs suck...its common knowledge. If the thing was an apple refurb I wouldn't bitch.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
When my iPhone 4S was stolen Assurion sent me a brand new one and AT&T waived my deductible guess paying for insurance since 2005 and never filing a claim works like a charm.You'll most likely get a new one.How will you know?It comes in the actual iPhone 4S package sealed and all :cool:

ECUSnare

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2011
Just because its a refurb doesn't mean it wont work. Asurion is doing you a hell of a favor by giving you a better phone since they don't have yours in stock. I think you'll be just fine. They test the refurbs many times, so there is a very low chance of it being defective. If it is defective, just let them know. They already helped you out this time, why wouldn't they stand behind it?

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

I've received refurbs from Asurion, and if I had any issues with them ( 15 days ) I'd call'em and get a brand new one!

Their CS is pretty decent!

Of the 4 claims I've filed with Asurion, 3 were refurbs and I had no issues!

I think people are getting 4S's now because the iPhone 4 are only available in the 8GB config, and Asurion has to give you a comparable device ;)

I'm sure they aren't too happy replacing your iP4 with a 4S!!

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
Asurion refurbs suck...its common knowledge. If the thing was an apple refurb I wouldn't bitch.

Either way you were going to receive a refurbish.. especially if they sent you an Iphone 4... Usually when they upgrade you they sent a new one.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
If there is a defect with the phone, take it to an Apple Store and get it replaced.

There are always options, in the end, they basically want a satisfied customer.

I got a refurbished iPhone from ATT and it was badly scratched on the front glass and just looked dirty, like someone had just pulled it out of their pocket and sent it to me. I refused it. ATT didn't have any more refurbished iPhones and replaced it with a brand new one.

Good luck.

eduardogj11

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012

so what happen was it refurbished?

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
I'm in the same boat -- I put in a claim for my broken-screen iPhone 4 16gig and Asurion confirmed yesterday that an iPhone 4S is being shipped tomorrow. I'm interested to see what kind of shape it's in; either way I'll be light years ahead of my old, tired, busted up iPhone 4 :D

P1x3lZ

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
Bait and switched

Same problem. I submitted my claim and got an iPhone 4. The box says 4S.....they INSIST its a 4S but the serial and model are both iPhone 4. So angry right now. Asurion totally screwed me.

Anyone else?

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Same problem. I submitted my claim and got an iPhone 4. The box says 4S.....they INSIST its a 4S but the serial and model are both iPhone 4. So angry right now. Asurion totally screwed me.

Anyone else?

Was it a 4 or 4S that they were replacing for you? If it was a 4, it sucks that you got your hopes up, but they replaced all they had to and there's no reason for you to be upset... especially when you were the one who either lost or had your phone stolen.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I went through 7 Refurbs of a HTC Diamond before finally I convinced them to give me a brand new one never had a problem again.

i know this has nothing to do with an Apple refurb, but just sharing my experience

Applejack8645

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
Minnesota

Nope, Asurion usually does not stock new phones they are typically always refurbished

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
My son dropped his 3Gs (8GB) in the toilet. Asurion replaced it with a new 4s, (16GB). I filed the claim online at 3PM and the new iphone was delivered at 2PM the next day; less than 24 hours after filing the initial claim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.