Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its investor relations page to note that it will announce its earnings for the second fiscal quarter (first calendar quarter) of 2012 on Tuesday, April 24. The earnings release typically occurs just after 4:30 PM Eastern Time following the close of regular stock trading, and the conference call is scheduled to follow at 5:00 PM Eastern / 2:00 PM Pacific.

2q2012_earnings_release.png

MacRumors will provide running coverage of the earnings release and conference call.

The release should provide some early sales numbers for the new iPad, which launched with just two weeks left in the quarter. The company previously announced that the device sold three million units in its first four days of availability, and strong sales undoubtedly continued for the remainder of the quarter, boosted in part by a quick expansion into international markets with the device being available in over 30 countries by the end of the quarter.

Article Link: Apple to Announce 2Q 2012 Earnings on April 24

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
As an analysist I predict apple will have made a crap load of money.

I also see a new iPhone in the common months that may or may not have a larger screen.

Think I nailed that

Last edited by a moderator:

conigs

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
Product Releases?

Tangental, but relevant: Doesn't Apple typically hold off on product updates/releases in the weeks preceding earnings calls? If so, would this mean late April/early May releases for the rumored iMac/MacBook Pro updates (even Mac Pro*)?

*Custom Sandy Bridge E5 systems are starting to show up. I'm getting antsy to upgrade.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
So soon already? Seems like only a quarter of a year ago that Apple announced their Q1 earnings.

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
Something I'd like to know: how many of those were sold to resellers & scalpers vs. how many actually ended up in the hands of the end user.

Many of those were returned after the scalpers failed to sell them off.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
apple: "... we just made truckloads of money... selling every ipad and iphone we make... extremely happy..."

see, i am an analyst too. :)

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
I know Apple has been having hard times lately, I hope they do better this time around. People call me silly, however, I keep holding on to my Apple stock, in the hopes that it recovers some of it's value.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Tangental, but relevant: Doesn't Apple typically hold off on product updates/releases in the weeks preceding earnings calls? If so, would this mean late April/early May releases for the rumored iMac/MacBook Pro updates (even Mac Pro*)?

*Custom Sandy Bridge E5 systems are starting to show up. I'm getting antsy to upgrade.
No, Apple has announced new product a day after an earning announcement at least once before.

What they won't do is announce new product the same day or the day before (which is typically a Monday and thus not a usual product announcement day anyhow) an earnings announcement. Note that Oppenheimer (CFO) and Cook (CEO) have repeatedly deflected any inquiries about upcoming products during the analyst calls.

Nothing can be deduced from this earnings announcement apart from the fact that there will be no product announcement on Monday the 23rd nor Tuesday the 24th.

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I know Apple has been having hard times lately, I hope they do better this time around. People call me silly, however, I keep holding on to my Apple stock, in the hopes that it recovers some of it's value.

Next time, you might want to include a sarcasm indicator. If you are serious, you aren't making any sense.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Something I'd like to know: how many of those were sold to resellers & scalpers vs. how many actually ended up in the hands of the end user.

Seeing as how iPads were being back-ordered after the first week, I'd say all of them were in the hands of users.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
When they give earnings guidance they normally under state and over deliver. Also they typically are supply challenged on launch so the initial impact of a release on earnings is light. However this time around they seem to have had sufficient supply to deliver initial orders before the 2 week time to quarter end. I think they declare it sold on shipment. Further they rolled out to international markets within the quarter and also with plenty of launch supply so supply shortages simply didn't make much news. Scalpers were even returning iPads!

Therefore I am going to predict that the amount of iPad sales that will be counted in the quarter will have an upside surprise since past estimates by Apple and the top 4 most accurate analysts presume supply shortages.

We won't know till April 24, and the overall stock market has already rolled over, so consider taking profits and look to make new stock purchases around the day of the release. The stock is due for a healthy correction anyway.

Rocketman

Last edited:

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Many of those were returned after the scalpers failed to sell them off.

Website is still showing "1 - 2 weeks for orders." The iPhone is showing as "in stock" and I ordered a Mac Mini (with upgrades) last Sunday night and it arrived from China on Friday morning.

I'm guessing the returns aren't really very significant in the scheme of things - just ends up giving a supply of "refurb" units for warranty exchanges.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
You know, there's going to be a time when Apple has to announce that a quarter is no "record-quarter" soon.

I just wonder how everyone will react to that....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.