Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Yeah I know they probably haven't included 24p output because nothing in the iTunes store is encoded at that and that's fine.

But the problem is that when I play (my own) 24p bluray content on an apple tv it's a bit jumpy and skips the odd frame, but when I play it from a ps3/bluray player it's nice and smooth.

The problem is obviously because it's outputting at a refresh rate that doesn't match the content I am trying to play on it.

Is their a way to convert 24p to 25? That would be ideal for uk users, seeing as the stand refresh rate for tvs here is 50hz...

Maybe you are encoding your Blu-ray at too high a profile? Or too high of a bitrate?

I'm not trying to nitpick but sincerely trying to learn more of your problems, the more knowledge that we gain, the better for all of us.

heliocentric

Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
Maybe you are encoding your Blu-ray at too high a profile? Or too high of a bitrate?

I'm not trying to nitpick but sincerely trying to learn more of your problems, the more knowledge that we gain, the better for all of us.

I'm 100% certain it's because the display refresh doesn't doesn't match the content refresh rate. I know I keep repeating that, but that is the reason.

Before apple added the option to select 50hz on the atv 2 it used to have the same problem because it was outputting my 50hz content at 60hz.

If indeed apple are encoding films at 24p now it seems quite bizarre they wouldn't include the option I output it properly.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I'm 100% certain it's because the display refresh doesn't doesn't match the content refresh rate. I know I keep repeating that, but that is the reason.

Before apple added the option to select 50hz on the atv 2 it used to have the same problem because it was outputting my 50hz content at 60hz.

If indeed apple are encoding films at 24p now it seems quite bizarre they wouldn't include the option I output it properly.

Until we get a sample size of more than one user, I think we have to tentatively call this a glitch, most likely either grue's tv is confused or his ATV is confused.

heliocentric

Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
Until we get a sample size of more than one user, I think we have to tentatively call this a glitch, most likely either grue's tv is confused or his ATV is confused.

Just google it, lots of people had the outputting only 60hz in 50hz pal areas for example.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
Are you sure that the aren't 23.98? I have never hear of anything distrubuted at true 24p. Can you use mediaInfonor some of freeware to make sure

Yes it's 23.98 but for the sake of sanity I rounded, like everyone else in the industry. Hell, even 23.98 is rounded.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
The true movie/blu-ray frame rate is actually 24000/1001 which is 23.976024fps. But most people round it and call it either 23.97 or 24, it's all the same.

Just like NTSC video framerate is 30000/1001 which is 29.97003fps, but everyone calls it 30fps. The only video rate which is a true round number is PAL at 25fps.

heliocentric

Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
Have you checked to see if your TV can do both 50Hz and 60Hz? Mine does, and ATV defaulted to 60.

yeah it can do 24hz, 50hz and 60hz.

I set the apple tv to 50hz because it has trouble selecting the correct hurts then I set it to automatic.

Such a shame it doesn't to 1080p24...

Maybe one day :)

P.s why have people voted down some of my posts in this thread? lol I wasn't saying anything controversial was I?

erpetao

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
I'm a bit disappointed about the lack of 24p in Apple TV. My new Sony Bravia has "24p film mode" and both the mkvs through DLNA and blu rays play beautifully at their original 24fps (23.976fps).

With the Apple TV the best quality I can get is with 60hz (Auto picks this one), and setting in the TV "MotionFLow" to "Clear", and "Film Mode" to Off or Auto 2 (I can't decide which one is best).

I can still see a flow of frames rather than continuous movement on scenes with panning etc. which is annoying.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
I can still see a flow of frames rather than continuous movement on scenes with panning etc. which is annoying.

If that is what you want, turn MotionFlow to Smooth and FilmMode to Auto1. That will give you maximum motion smoothing and frame interpolation, aka the Soap Opera Effect. It doesn't look anything like 24fps film cadence, but if you don't want any judder, this will smooth it out completely.

erpetao

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
If that is what you want, turn MotionFlow to Smooth and FilmMode to Auto1. That will give you maximum motion smoothing and frame interpolation, aka the Soap Opera Effect. It doesn't look anything like 24fps film cadence, but if you don't want any judder, this will smooth it out completely.

I'd like the closest thing to a blu ray or playing an mkv through dlna.

What's the setting for a reverse pulldown to display the content back at 24fps?

heliocentric

Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
Has anyone tried this 'conform' idea that has been suggested? Interested to see how it works...

atandon

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Ugh! I hate this judder. Hurts my eyes.
For a minute I was worried that my encodes may be faulty.
But checked the same ones on the ps3 and no issues there. Sigh!
I have given up hope finding a media streaming device that will do 'everything'

I will have to settle on using the apple tv for my music (love itunes match) and the ps3 for videos (and gaming of course)

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
Ugh! I hate this judder. Hurts my eyes.
For a minute I was worried that my encodes may be faulty.
But checked the same ones on the ps3 and no issues there. Sigh!
I have given up hope finding a media streaming device that will do 'everything'

I will have to settle on using the apple tv for my music (love itunes match) and the ps3 for videos (and gaming of course)

I feel exactly the same way. My PS3 plays video perfectly. Unfortunately it sounds like a jet engine, and when my kid's asleep I can't turn the TV volume up loud enough to hear over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.