Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_logo-150x174.jpg

Over the past two days, a couple of high-profile research analysts have issued reports predicting that Apple's stock will reach the $1000/share milestone within the next year or two, a move that would see that company's market capitalization push toward an unprecedented trillion-dollar market capitalization.

Yesterday, analyst Brian White issued his first research note on Apple in his new position with Topeka Capital Markets. White had previously worked at Ticonderoga Securities, which ceased operations earlier this year. In his initiation report for Topeka, White offers a 12-month price target of $1001 for Apple, citing the appeal of 4G LTE, booming growth in China, and an expected Apple television set as drivers for the company's growth.
We are initiating coverage of Apple with a Buy rating and a 12-month price target of $1,001.00. Driven by an ever expanding portfolio of innovative products, a growing integrated digital grid, unmatched aesthetics and a brand that is able to touch the soul of consumers of all backgrounds, Apple fever is spreading like a wildfire around the world and we see no end in sight to this trend. As such, we believe the Apple story still has a long way to play out in the coming years and we expect the next 12-18 months to be particularly exciting for the Company on multiple fronts.
White also points to Apple's dividend and share repurchase program, with growth of that program in the future, as an additional driver for investor interest in Apple's stock.

Meanwhile, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster weighed in with his own report early today, and while his official 12-month price target for Apple moves from $718 to $910, he believes that the stock will roll on to reach $1000 in 2014.
While our 12-month price target is $910, we believe shares of AAPL can reach $1,000 beyond our one year price target window, specifically in 2014 when we believe investors will begin to factor in CY15 numbers. Even conservatively applying the 12x forward year EPS multiple (CY13) that Apple is currently trading at to our CY15 estimate of $80.18, we reach a $960 share price. Furthermore, we believe factoring in an Apple Television could add more than $4 in EPS (5%) by CY15, which could yield over a $1,000 share price (12 * ~$84).
Munster estimates that half of the predicted $400 billion growth in Apple's market cap will come at the expense of its competitors, while the other half will come from new money entering the tech sector.

Given Apple's current share count of roughly 930 million, a $1000 price would see the company pushing toward a market capitalization of $1 trillion. As we noted last month, Microsoft set the standard for highest market capitalization for a publicly-traded company back in 1999 at $604 billion. Apple is roughly $20 billion short of that number as of today, but when adjusted for inflation, Microsoft's peak market cap would have corresponded to over $800 billion in today's dollars.

Article Link: Analysts Look Toward $1000 Share Price, $1 Trillion Market Cap for Apple

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
This stock is going to be traded mainly by large firms soon as the average Joe won't be able to purchase stock and those prices.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I'm sure Apple is aware of this and there will be at least 1 stock split.

I'm not so sure Apple's priority is for an average joe to be able to afford 1 share of stock.

If there is a stock split, I doubt it's for those reasons but that's just my opinion.

sparks05

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Colorado
Law of large numbers?

I guess the law of large numbers should be called the "Law of Extremely Large Numbers" . . . at least in Apple's scenario

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I marvel every time Apple stock gains a new high, seems like a daily occurence. Up over $200+ in the last 3 months. It is great time to be a Apple stock holder. The P/E is still pretty low.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple has solid earnings, but now it seems like the analysts are piling on and getting ahead of themselves. Most of their profits are from mobile phones. While it's a lucrative market, it also can turn on a dime. Look at RIM and Nokia.

I think it's a solid company but am not expecting it to go up another 60+% in the near term given its rise over the past few weeks.

FD: I'm long AAPL.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Wow, I hesitated buying stocks when they were 373$ not too long ago. I was afraid it could go down like crazy once Steve would die (it was right after he retired as CEO). This is just crazy. I'm glad I made the move now. :cool:

pheenix11

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted

I love Apple but when you start seeing predictions like this it's time to sell. And I'm not talking about Apple specifically, I'm talking about the entire market. Bernanke and friends have succeeded in blowing yet another bubble with cheap money that will burst and take everything with it. Get ready for Mad Max.

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
I think that this report assumes Apple will continually unleash devices as successful as the iPhone/iPad. I think that'll be rather difficult. I also don't see Apple's TV's hitting a major market due to the much higher selling price point.

We'll see what they come up with...

wol

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
A bubble is a bubble is a bubble ... ;)

("wise" investors sell if everyone else is buying - and remember that you'll almost never manage to sell a stock exactly at its peak, or buy it at its low point)

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
decent computer for $600

when that will happen Apple? :p

it is shame that $500 iPad has very good damn specs compared to MB/MBP/MM ...

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
I think that this report assumes Apple will continually unleash devices as successful as the iPhone/iPad. I think that'll be rather difficult. I also don't see Apple's TV's hitting a major market due to the much higher selling price point.

We'll see what they come up with...

They are forecasting this to happen in the next year or two. They arent predicting any other new devices besides for the usual yearly updates and the Apple TV. Im not surprised. I have never been happier with my apple products and there is still so much untapped potential. If they release a nice update for iphone 5, they are going to sell a crapload.

----------

I see no end for this stock surge.

Famous last words

hirshnoc

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Wirelessly posted

Berkshire Hathaway stock shares go for like $121,000 a share. Market cap isn't this big though. Apple wouldn't be breaking any records hitting $1K. Maybe for the NASDAQ, but not in history.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.