Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:29 AM   #101
hulugu
macrumors 68000
 
hulugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: the faraway towns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
We never said it was a good thing. Just, sometimes, a funny thing. And a true thing. Like the stereotype of balding, overweight, 42 year olds having huge genitalia. It's not a good thing or a bad thing, it just happens to be true.
I'm sure it's painful to labor under such misapprehensions.


Comedy is complicated. Carlin was always interested in how society used language, including euphemisms to bury the truth of a given situation. Other comedians look for shock, especially that caused by the incongruity of our culture, while others engaged in self-immolation or attacked the audience. Some just looked for absurdities.

Regardless, the interesting thing about comedy isn't someone saying that a pink bowling ball is for girls, rather it's Betty White saying, "Why do people say 'grow some balls'? Balls are weak and
sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take
a pounding."*

*(Even though she didn't actually say this, it's still hilarious to think of this statement coming from White).

Humor is elusive, but it's clear that Santorum missed the mark here, running with typical ******* humor rather than something clever. I am, of course, unsurprised.
__________________
I look like a soldier; I feel like a thief
hulugu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 05:47 AM   #102
iJohnHenry
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On tenterhooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
Lets face (it), pink is associated with femininity.
And femininity is associated with weakness, inferiority, what??
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 08:32 AM   #103
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816
 
Zombie Acorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Mid States Intercollegiate Tournament, 11/23/1992-11/27/1992. My first major Collegiate tournament. One of my opponents in, I believe it was round 6, was the aforementioned Brenda Norman (now Mack). I shot 238. She shot 300.

One of the next teams after that was Buffalo State. Liz Johnson was on that team. She shot 299 on me.

Both would go professional, where Liz became the first woman to beat a man in a tournament. Three years later, Kelly Kulick came up through college. I already highlighted her success.

Here I am, a stronger man than both Brenda and Liz, and they wiped the floor with me. I was averaging 220 during that tournament, and they beat me easily. I'm friends with all three of them, plus more women bowlers, and I'm actually happy to say that they beat me. I at least gave them good competition, and gave it my best. If one has to resort to a 'common denominator' or jumping back to gender to justify how good or bad you are at a sport, it sounds like there are ego and esteem problems to deal with, let alone not being comfortable with who you are.

And most of the women I bowled aren't just sporty types; they look good doing it.

BL.
This is bowling, I've seen a 3 year old granny roll a ball and get a strike, its not a sport dependent on speed and strength. Put pro women against pro men in NBA, MLB, NHL, and even golf and they get destroyed every time.
__________________
--2.6 C2Q 4gb DDR3 GTX 260-Win 7--
--2.0 CE Macbook Alum-Leopard--
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:32 AM   #104
bradl
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
This is bowling, I've seen a 3 year old granny roll a ball and get a strike, its not a sport dependent on speed and strength. Put pro women against pro men in NBA, MLB, NHL, and even golf and they get destroyed every time.
Ahh.. the old 'Bowling isn't a REAL sport' song and dance.

A 3 year old granny. Like to see the man she picked up.

The fact that bowling is the biggest participation sport in the world; a sport that anyone of any size, stature, and age can do doesn't take away the fact that any person using any equipment can beat another person on any given day.

Your argument carries no weight (pun intended).

As for not dependent on speed or strength, the pin carry a bowler has is definitely dependent on speed and strength. Compare your aforementioned 3 year old granny to a Jason Belmonte, Osku Palermaa, or Sean Rash, and bring up that statement again. You'll see how you fail.

Another thing you forget to notice is that the MLB, NHL, and NBA players, while they depend on athleticism, they have **** for a mental game, whereas a bowler's game is roughly 5% physical, and 95% mental. Yes, the NBA, NHL, and MLB players do have a mental game that they play, but this is with a lot of them trash talking and trying to get inside another player's head. Bowling is a completely different game mentally, as it is you against the conditions on the lane, the pins and yourself, AND your opponent. But primarily, it is you against yourself and how you can get your gear to work the best for you to get the shot you need to make. The closest you get with that might be a pitch in baseball, or a free throw. But that is it.

Bowlers don't have to physically move that much, but what they do move gets done repeatedly, using the same muscles over and over.

Like I said, when it comes to bowling, you clearly do not know what you are talking about.

BL.

Last edited by bradl; Apr 3, 2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: more on the mental game
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:10 PM   #105
bradl
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Let me quantify my post a bit more, especially regarding speed and strength.

Most typical recreational bowlers average around 70 - 100 RPMs and 15mph. Me, and most professional bowlers are around 300 - 450 RPMs and 14 - 16 mph on their ball speed. What this tells us is that the open/recreational bowlers believe that faster speed = more pins = higher score. But what happens when you have a lot of speed and no friction on something slick (oil, ice, etc.)? You slide. Sliding reduces the natural drive you have on a ball, causing it to deflect off the pins.

How do you counter that? Either more revs or less speed. In Belmonte and Palermaa's case, they are at 600+ RPMs and roughly 17mph. They obviously throw the ball stronger and faster, but because of the revs they get, they create the friction through those revs. RPMs + Speed + friction = better pin carry. So strength and speed play a HUGE part in scoring.

How do women compare to that? They don't try to, and here is where their mental game comes in. They obviously will throw the ball slower, back down to that 300 - 450rpm range, but down to the 13 - 15mph range, and let the ball do the work for them. Slower ball speed + RPMs + friction = earlier roll and earlier drive = better pin carry and better scoring.

So you don't need speed and strength to be good at it, which your assumption that you need it is completely wrong. ZA, it's obvious you didn't watch those two clips of Kulick and Barnes; Randy Pedersen explains this in great detail there, and how Kelly's slower ball speed worked more to her advantage, and why she wiped the floor with Barnes.

Speed and strength certainly wasn't the main factor in Billie Jean King's win, was it?

BL.
bradl is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:16 PM   #106
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020
 
Mac'nCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
I'm sure it's painful to labor under such misapprehensions.


Comedy is complicated. Carlin was always interested in how society used language, including euphemisms to bury the truth of a given situation. Other comedians look for shock, especially that caused by the incongruity of our culture, while others engaged in self-immolation or attacked the audience. Some just looked for absurdities.

Regardless, the interesting thing about comedy isn't someone saying that a pink bowling ball is for girls, rather it's Betty White saying, "Why do people say 'grow some balls'? Balls are weak and
sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take
a pounding."*

*(Even though she didn't actually say this, it's still hilarious to think of this statement coming from White).

Humor is elusive, but it's clear that Santorum missed the mark here, running with typical ******* humor rather than something clever. I am, of course, unsurprised.
I hope you and others, who have no idea who I am and could probably not care less, think that I thought Santorum was funny. I think he is a dick and did not even mean to be humorous when he said that. And really, the old woman saying something outrageous is not funny anymore. But if you think so, be sure to check out Betty White's new prank show, OFF THEIR ROCKERS this wed on NBC. NBC: We Used To Air Seinfeld!
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:23 PM   #107
Squadleader
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Avalon Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
So, what is it about pink that is so negative? Why do you think Santorum even mentioned it? Hmm?

Maybe he construes pink with women or gays....Done vote for him (if that is a choice down the road) if that offends you...(I'm not either, but not for the same reason)..Making waaay to much of it....Guys rib others regarding pink and always will....
Squadleader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:23 PM   #108
ericrwalker
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albany, NY
So what you're saying is, a pink bowling ball is girly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Let me quantify my post a bit more, especially regarding speed and strength.

Most typical recreational bowlers average around 70 - 100 RPMs and 15mph. Me, and most professional bowlers are around 300 - 450 RPMs and 14 - 16 mph on their ball speed. What this tells us is that the open/recreational bowlers believe that faster speed = more pins = higher score. But what happens when you have a lot of speed and no friction on something slick (oil, ice, etc.)? You slide. Sliding reduces the natural drive you have on a ball, causing it to deflect off the pins.

How do you counter that? Either more revs or less speed. In Belmonte and Palermaa's case, they are at 600+ RPMs and roughly 17mph. They obviously throw the ball stronger and faster, but because of the revs they get, they create the friction through those revs. RPMs + Speed + friction = better pin carry. So strength and speed play a HUGE part in scoring.

How do women compare to that? They don't try to, and here is where their mental game comes in. They obviously will throw the ball slower, back down to that 300 - 450rpm range, but down to the 13 - 15mph range, and let the ball do the work for them. Slower ball speed + RPMs + friction = earlier roll and earlier drive = better pin carry and better scoring.

So you don't need speed and strength to be good at it, which your assumption that you need it is completely wrong. ZA, it's obvious you didn't watch those two clips of Kulick and Barnes; Randy Pedersen explains this in great detail there, and how Kelly's slower ball speed worked more to her advantage, and why she wiped the floor with Barnes.

Speed and strength certainly wasn't the main factor in Billie Jean King's win, was it?

BL.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:24 PM   #109
Squadleader
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Avalon Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
And femininity is associated with weakness, inferiority, what??
Breasts.....any questions...
Squadleader is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:25 PM   #110
ericrwalker
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albany, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadleader View Post
Maybe he construes pink with women or gays....Done vote for him (if that is a choice down the road) if that offends you...(I'm not either, but not for the same reason)..Making waaay to much of it....Guys rib others regarding pink and always will....
Everything offends him. Unless you think exactly the same way he does.
ericrwalker is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:31 PM   #111
bradl
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
So what you're saying is, a pink bowling ball is girly?
Where do you jump to the conclusion that I believe a pink ball is girly? I never said that nor ever alluded to that. Stop putting words in people's mouths.

What I said is this.

Faster ball speed + less RPMs = ball sliding and less percentage of pin count.
Faster ball speed + more RPMs = more friction, drive and greater percentage of pin count.

Slower ball speed + more RPMs = more friction, drive, and greater percentage of pin count.

In short, and I'll say this so you and others can clearly understand it...

Colour of the bowling ball Does. Not. Matter.

One of the balls I used to shoot the 4 300s I have is hot pink. No-one ever thought of it as girly. No-one does. If you think that it is, then you have problems, not the person using it. That's where Santorum failed.

BL.
bradl is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:58 PM   #112
Squadleader
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Avalon Hill
[QUOTE=bradl;14660971 If you think that it is, then you have problems, not the person using it. That's where Santorum failed. BL.[/QUOTE]

OK.....I think its girly...I have never seen a pink football either, boxing gloves, baseball bat...blah blah...But congrats on your 300 games using a girly ball...Is it lighter or something...??
Squadleader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 02:13 PM   #113
HarryPot
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Colour of the bowling ball Does. Not. Matter.
I think we all agree with this statement. But that doesn't mean that, in normal bowling (not in professional tournaments with custom made balls), pink balls are normally the lighter ones. Then goes the light orange one and the light blue one. Dark red and black are normally the heavier ones.

And it also doesn't changes that normally women (the typical and normal girl who doesn't play professional bowling), prefers the lighter ball, which happens to be the pink one.

So it's also not strange for people to make the connection "pink ball"=light=girls, hence, the pink ball is for girls!

This thread has really made me doubt if I'm sane. I could have bet my life that pink is for girls and blue is for boys.
HarryPot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 02:15 PM   #114
fruitycups
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Wirelessly posted

****. Ron paul 2012
fruitycups is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 02:30 PM   #115
/user/me
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Really guys? 5 whole pages of sexist misogynistic crap. I'm both offended and appalled. On an unrelated note, I thought this was supposed to be last weeks p*** and moan thread?
/user/me is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 02:33 PM   #116
leekohler
Thread Starter
Banned
 
leekohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by /user/me View Post
Really guys? 5 whole pages of sexist misogynistic crap. I'm both offended and appalled.
I'm surprised we have not had more comments from women in this thread, TBH.
leekohler is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 02:42 PM   #117
ericrwalker
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albany, NY
I was trying to figure out how does the speed at what you roll a balling ball has anything to do with the comment Santorum made.

So I came to the conclusion, using nothing but irrational logic (what I have learned from liberals) is that Brad rolling a fast bowling ball means pink balls are girly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Where do you jump to the conclusion that I believe a pink ball is girly? I never said that nor ever alluded to that. Stop putting words in people's mouths.

What I said is this.

Faster ball speed + less RPMs = ball sliding and less percentage of pin count.
Faster ball speed + more RPMs = more friction, drive and greater percentage of pin count.

Slower ball speed + more RPMs = more friction, drive, and greater percentage of pin count.

In short, and I'll say this so you and others can clearly understand it...

Colour of the bowling ball Does. Not. Matter.

One of the balls I used to shoot the 4 300s I have is hot pink. No-one ever thought of it as girly. No-one does. If you think that it is, then you have problems, not the person using it. That's where Santorum failed.

BL.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 02:42 PM   #118
/user/me
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
I'm surprised we have not had more comments from women in this thread, TBH.
Good point. If I was a woman, I'd probably say something, but I'm not one, so I can't make that assumption. I wonder how much of it is actual ignorance and stupidity, and how much is just trolling.
/user/me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 02:50 PM   #119
leekohler
Thread Starter
Banned
 
leekohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by /user/me View Post
Good point. If I was a woman, I'd probably say something, but I'm not one, so I can't make that assumption. I wonder how much of it is actual ignorance and stupidity, and how much is just trolling.
I'm glad somebody else finally stopped by to call this garbage what it is. I mean, why say anything about a damn pink bowling ball? What the hell is that?

It reminds me of the silly stir this caused. The entire social conservative population had a stroke over this, remember? It's ridiculous.

Quote:
A mother paints her son's toenails hot pink because it's his favorite color. Does that mean he'll become gay or transgender? That is the controversy surrounding a J. Crew ad that is swirling around the Internet.

It began when a photo of J. Crew's president and creative director Jenna Lyons painting the toenails of her son Beckett in an ad was sent to customers last week in a feature, "Saturday with Jenna."

"Lucky for me I ended up with a boy whose favorite color is pink," says the caption. "Toenail painting is way more fun in neon."

Social conservatives reacted with outrage. Fox News' Dr. Keith Ablow ran an opinion piece on the issue and Erin Brown of the right-leaning Media Research Center called the ad "blatant propaganda celebrating transgendered children."

"Not only is Beckett likely to change his favorite color as early as tomorrow, Jenna's indulgence (or encouragement) could make life hard for the boy in the future," Brown wrote. J. Crew, known for its tasteful and modest clothing, apparently does not mind exploiting Beckett behind the facade of liberal, transgendered identity politics."

Reaction to the reaction was appalled at the notion that the child was being "turned" gay or transgender.

One of Brown's online readers wrote, "A small child, with no secondary sexual characteristics, cannot be considered 'transgendered' or even a transvestite. On the other hand, a fully grown person such as yourself can definitely be considered a small-minded a**hole."
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/crew-ad...3#.T3tT2o4-Nyo
leekohler is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 03:04 PM   #120
/user/me
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
I'm glad somebody else finally stopped by to call this garbage what it is. I mean, why say anything about a damn pink bowling ball? What the hell is that?

It reminds me of the silly stir this caused. The entire social conservative population had a stroke over this, remember? It's ridiculous.



http://abcnews.go.com/Health/crew-ad...3#.T3tT2o4-Nyo
Ah good times.... It's insane and crazy... I'm going to be honest with you - I couldn't tell if that was a boy or girl by just looking at the still photographs. I'm surprised that people aren't able to see gender for what it really is - a social construct. But you know... The LGBTQIA army is recruiting in the womb now...
/user/me is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 03:08 PM   #121
leekohler
Thread Starter
Banned
 
leekohler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by /user/me View Post
Ah good times.... It's insane and crazy... I'm going to be honest with you - I couldn't tell if that was a boy or girl by just looking at the still photographs. I'm surprised that people aren't able to see gender for what it really is - a social construct. But you know... The LGBTQIA army is recruiting in the womb now...
Well, this pink bowling ball thing is exactly the same kind of garbage. It's a load of BS, and it needs to go away.
leekohler is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 03:10 PM   #122
/user/me
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
Well, this pink bowling ball thing is exactly the same kind of garbage. It's a load of BS, and it needs to go away.
Exactly. Too bad there's not a mod around to do those kinds of things when you need one, huh?
/user/me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 03:28 PM   #123
localoid
macrumors 68020
 
localoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: America's Third World
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryPot View Post
... I could have bet my life that pink is for girls and blue is for boys.
Have you ever paused to wonder, "Why?"

I searched through my copy of Roberts Rules of Order but I didn't find anything on the blue/pink rule. I thumbed through my Bible but the closest thing I found was something about God telling Moses to tell the Israelites to put blue cords in a tassel on the corners of their garments.
__________________
My remake of the definitive Populuxe film on 1950s automotive, industrial/interior/architectural design: American Look (1958), Reimagined
localoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 04:25 PM   #124
hulugu
macrumors 68000
 
hulugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: the faraway towns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
I hope you and others, who have no idea who I am and could probably not care less, think that I thought Santorum was funny. I think he is a dick and did not even mean to be humorous when he said that.
Ooops, I was kidding with you. If you read it again, saying it was "painful to labor" alluded to the fact that you have giant man parts. You're like a lance-man sir.

The web's lack of tone totally ****ed that up.

Quote:
And really, the old woman saying something outrageous is not funny anymore.
Sure, but it was because of the incongruity that *can* make this funny.
__________________
I look like a soldier; I feel like a thief
hulugu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 04:33 PM   #125
bradl
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
I was trying to figure out how does the speed at what you roll a balling ball has anything to do with the comment Santorum made.
If you had bothered to read my post, you would have noticed that I was replying to ZA's post. I'll include it again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
This is bowling, I've seen a 3 year old granny roll a ball and get a strike, its not a sport dependent on speed and strength. Put pro women against pro men in NBA, MLB, NHL, and even golf and they get destroyed every time.
I just showed and proved otherwise. I am truly sorry if you can't comprehend that; hence why I spelled it out in clear simple terms that you could understand. I am sorry you could not comprehend that. On your request, I can drop it down to monosyllabic grunts.

Quote:
So I came to the conclusion, using nothing but irrational logic (what I have learned from liberals) is that Brad rolling a fast bowling ball means pink balls are girly.
Irrational logic indeed. But go ahead; jump to your own conclusions. Like I said, that is on you and the demons you have to fight. As for me, I smile with pride that I have a nice super bowl type 300 ring on my finger. For those not in the know, this is what I have, diamond studded, but in 10K gold, and 5 to indicate how many 300 games I've bowled:

http://www.keepsakebowling.com/Templ...artConfig/1303



You can never take that away from me.

BL.

Last edited by bradl; Apr 3, 2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added URL for the ring
bradl is offline   -1 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FREE]Bowling King Real-Time 1-on-1 multiplayer bowling game supermikoon iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Mar 25, 2014 05:11 AM
MacBook Pro Retina pink screen tint/pink apple logo david401 MacBook Pro 13 Dec 31, 2013 02:47 PM
Ball-Hop Anniversary Edition - FREE Skee-ball game conedog iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Jun 25, 2013 04:59 PM
Funny Crack Up Jokes[FREE]various of best jokes Gyonen iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Dec 20, 2012 11:38 PM
Santorum just S*** the bed... Again Rampant.A.I. Politics, Religion, Social Issues 10 Sep 17, 2012 06:53 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC