Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aviboy97

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Pennsylvania
Own Asus Zenbook

I just purchased a Asus Zenbook for my wife...she does not like the interface of OS X much to my dismay...however....I purchased the 128GB 13" version for around $990 at Best Buy. Much to my surprise is the useable space is only 111GB and an additional 30GB are already used by the machine leaving only 81GB left once the computer boots up!! WTF!!:mad: I have yet to install anti-virus or Office 2010 either. Once I do that, there is nothing left! My friggen iPad has almost as much storage.

I'm thinking about returning it since I have 30 days to do so

I have been doing some reading at it seems that some of this, or all of it, might be bloatware. I have not found any reliable methods for removing it. Anyone with real Windows know-how know how to remove it? Thanks!

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Part of the hard drive is taken up by a separate partition that holds a factory image of the machine, the rest is used up in the formatting process..

Office and anti-virus using up the remaining 81GB? Don't be ridiculous

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Part of the hard drive is taken up by a separate partition that holds a factory image of the machine, the rest is used up in the formatting process..

Office and anti-virus using up the remaining 81GB? Don't be ridiculous

No joke! Anything for a reason to turn noses up at a Non-Apple product.

Seriously, I've spent some time with the Zenbook and it's a damn fine device. If I wanted a windows based system these would be on my short list. Put it next to an air and the 2 are almost identical in terms of build quality, haha I wonder why!?!

The news is very interesting indeed. Specs are topnotch so all that remains is pricing. It's getting to the point now where the only thing separating Apple and PC is the OS. Use to be build quality was also a major feather in Apples cap, not so much anymore.

Last edited:

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
I'm going to wait for the new Air, but those specs REALLY make me want to get a 13in with 1080p.

Before I got my Air I stood at Bestbuy using both the ZenBook and Air side by side for nearly an hour before I could make the call. it was REALLY hard. It literally only came down to the ASUS having a keyboard that didn't always register key presses. If it was not for that I'd have one over the Apple I have now.

----------

I just purchased a Asus Zenbook for my wife...she does not like the interface of OS X much to my dismay...however....I purchased the 128GB 13" version for around $990 at Best Buy. Much to my surprise is the useable space is only 111GB and an additional 30GB are already used by the machine leaving only 81GB left once the computer boots up!! WTF!!:mad: I have yet to install anti-virus or Office 2010 either. Once I do that, there is nothing left! My friggen iPad has almost as much storage.

I'm thinking about returning it since I have 30 days to do so

I have been doing some reading at it seems that some of this, or all of it, might be bloatware. I have not found any reliable methods for removing it. Anyone with real Windows know-how know how to remove it? Thanks!

1) 111= 128, OS X and Windows count storage size differently. Its still the same size.

2) Windows installs are the OS, the full install DVD and the hibernate file for the size of your RAM + case file. So using almost 30GB is not unusual when you count the recovery files that ASUS includes on the drive + any junk stuff they put on

3) A/V is just a few hundred MB and Office is like 2GB. Well under 81GB.

Really it sound like you just like to complain about stuff you don't know anything about.

Aviboy97

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Pennsylvania
I'm going to wait for the new Air, but those specs
Really it sound like you just like to complain about stuff you don't know anything about.

I'm not a tech guy, but put yourself in my shoes.... when I purchased 128GB of storage and only 81 are useable, you can understand my shock. I did over exadurate with how much space Office and virus protection takes up, but I was still a shock considering I'm used to OS X and the useable storage that comes with a Mac.

If I wanted to complain just to complain, perhaps I would go to the iPad3 forums and talk about pink/yellow/over heating iPads..

I had a legitimate question, and I do not appreciate BS remarks like that. Not everyone is a tech geek.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I'm not a tech guy, but put yourself in my shoes.... when I purchased 128GB of storage and only 81 are useable, you can understand my shock. I did over exadurate with how much space Office and virus protection takes up, but I was still a shock considering I'm used to OS X and the useable storage that comes with a Mac.

If I wanted to complain just to complain, perhaps I would go to the iPad3 forums and talk about pink/yellow/over heating iPads..

I had a legitimate question, and I do not appreciate BS remarks like that. Not everyone is a tech geek.

The BS remark came from you, actually. If you're going to BS then you need to grow thicker skin because you will be called out on it. Your other option is to BS less. Not everyone here is a blinded apple fanboy who's going to agree with you for the sake of bashing a non-apple product.

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011

Perhaps, just perhaps, you should research and inform yourself on what you're actually purchasing instead of moaning about something you don't understand? You know, customers are responsible for their spending...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
1) 111= 128, OS X and Windows count storage size differently. Its still the same size.

Not entirely true. No matter what OS is being used, there is no legitimate way that 111=128. True, OS X uses 1,000,000,000 bytes=1GB and Windows uses 1,073,000,000 bytes=1GB.

This accounts for a 93% factor that I like to call "marketing BS" ... but I've given up on that fight long ago.

Anyways, 128*93% = 119GB, not 111GB.

So, I would guess that the discrepancy is that there's a recovery partition in the range of 8GB or so.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Not entirely true. No matter what OS is being used, there is no legitimate way that 111=128. True, OS X uses 1,000,000,000 bytes=1GB and Windows uses 1,073,000,000 bytes=1GB.

This accounts for a 93% factor that I like to call "marketing BS" ... but I've given up on that fight long ago.

Marketing BS by who?

Because Apple is correct when considering a GB is 1000 MB. 1024 MB is called a gibibyte (GiB), and Microsoft are the only one to misuse units. Even Linux uses the right units.

I don't see why it's "marketing BS" by Microsoft though (if that's what you were saying), since there's no point in pretending a hard drive has less than its actual capacity. Those digital storage unit conventions have been established since 2000, Microsoft simply didn't want to change their units even though they were incorrect.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Marketing BS by who?

Because Apple is correct when considering a GB is 1000 MB. 1024 MB is called a gibibyte (GiB), and Microsoft are the only one to misuse units. Even Linux uses the right units.

I don't see why it's "marketing BS" by Microsoft though (if that's what you were saying), since there's no point in pretending a hard drive has less than its actual capacity. Those digital storage unit conventions have been established since 2000, Microsoft simply didn't want to change their units even though they were incorrect.

Marketing BS by the hard drive manufacturers. Before the term "GiB" was ever invented, everyone used in the computer industry used the following.

1024^1 bytes = 1 KB
1024^2 bytes = 1 MB
1024^3 bytes = 1 GB

Around the time that hard drives started getting in the 100's of MB's (maybe earlier), the HDD OEMs started advertising hard drive capacity in base 1000, so:

1000 bytes = 1 KB
and so on.

To avoid confusion, they came up with the term GiB to use with base 1024 and left GB for base 1000.

Here's an interesting thought. If 1000^3 bytes were truly 1 GB, then why don't they use this convention with RAM? How come my 4 GB laptop doesn't register as 4.29 GB?

But like I said, I've given up on fighting the GB vs GiB debate long ago. I know I'm on the losing side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.