Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Though the new iPad was announced on March 7, Apple continues to advertise the iPad 2 in prime advertising real estate on top of the West 14th Street Apple Retail Store, as noticed by AdAge.

The billboards on top of the store, a flagship in the middle of the trendy Meatpacking District in New York City, were apparently included in the lease for the location. The billboards have always been advertising Apple products, since the opening of the store.

Though the 16GB iPad 2 is still for sale, it seems odd that Apple wouldn't be advertising its newest tablet on some of New York City's best advertising real estate. Click through to AdAge to see the full picture.

Article Link: Apple Still Advertising iPad 2 on Roof of West 14th Street Retail Store

smokestack

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Indeed strange.

iPad 2 ads are stillup in a prime location in Toronto at the corner of John and Wellington.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I noticed this on Cambridge St. in downtown Boston - right near the financial district. I would have thought they would have updated it by now, if not right after the 3rd gen announcement.

ArchaicRevival

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2011
Bucketheadland
Surely you can't expect them to change all the advertising all over the darn world so quickly. It's like a billionaire who doesn't know how many properties he has. Those do exist you know.

MacFAQ

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2010
This is exactly the kind of thing that would simply have never, ever happened under Jobs.

nerveosu

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2001
Wirelessly posted

It is above the Lincoln Tunnel entrance on the way into NYC too.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
This is exactly the kind of thing that would simply have never, ever happened under Jobs.

I think reality and your memory do not mesh. I loved Steve Jobs as much as the next guy, but this recent meme of saying "X wouldn't have happened under Jobs" is overplayed.

tomhut

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
London
Apple generally dont start high scale advertising of a product until the initial demand has settled a bit and they have stock to serve the additional customers the marketing may bring into stores.

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
Umm there are numerous ipad 2 billboards when driving on 101 north and south in the bay area.

I think it starts around shoreline, maybe sooner all the way up to SF. I know shoreline for sure since traffic always slows down there so I can pay attention

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Umm there are numerous ipad 2 billboards when driving on 101 north and south in the bay area.

I think it starts around shoreline, maybe sooner all the way up to SF. I know shoreline for sure since traffic always slows down there so I can pay attention

Ha, I noticed that too when I visited SF recently. I figured they just had a monthly contract and they'll change them when the month is up.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted

MacFAQ said:

Wonder by which year this will stop?

ryansimmons323

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
United Kingdom
In the UK, many retail stores with in-store official "Apple Shops" like Currys and PC World, haven't promoted the New iPad at all. They've just kept the iPad 2 ads up, and when I went to test the new device out on release day, I couldn't tell if they had the New iPad in-store until I physically looked at the displays to distinguish the New iPad from the iPad 2. It sort of seems like they're not selling the New iPad as 'new' and the iPad 2 as 'old', they just seem to be selling them all under the iPad banner, and that they are both up-to-date products but just different.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Wirelessly posted

Apple hasn't changed them because most non-geeks don't realize it's an iPad 2 that's being advertised as opposed to an iPad 3. They look up at the billboard and see an iPad and go into the store and ask for an iPad and are given one. It's the reason Apple is just calling the iPad 3 the 'iPad.' Apple is selling iPads and it's advertising is promoting iPads, and normal people are buying iPads. Whether its an iPad 2 or 3 only matters to us geeks but Apple is making billions of dollars selling to non-geeks, therefore want people to just generically want an 'iPad.'

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I think reality and your memory do not mesh. I loved Steve Jobs as much as the next guy, but this recent meme of saying "X wouldn't have happened under Jobs" is overplayed.

Agreed. I think this has the potential to rival the "Safari feels snappier" meme for the most overused and untrue meme on macrumors.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
not only is the iPad 2 still on sale.

it makes me wonder with no NUMBER associated if this is a dying thing. I know they market the iPhones and previous iPads this way...do they billboard market the Airs or iMacs or iPods much anymore?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.