Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Personally I don't care for the new interface, it doesn't annoy me that much but it isn't that great. I almost never seem to know what is selected with that tiny blue border; really bad design. No matter what, I could live with the entire thing if they would just let me re-arrange my icons and disable ones that I'm not going to use. Everything else I could get over.

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Personally I don't care for the new interface, it doesn't annoy me that much but it isn't that great. I almost never seem to know what is selected with that tiny blue border; really bad design. No matter what, I could live with the entire thing if they would just let me re-arrange my icons and disable ones that I'm not going to use. Everything else I could get over.

Actually, you do have a point... They could at least provide a color change or slight animation. The blue doesn't stand out enough to really inform you of what you've selected.

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Everybody not happy with new UI, please take 2 mins and write Apple here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

They will listen. 100s of displeased opinions WILL surely do something. At least a color change, that's my biggest issue with the new UI. Macdaddy's design improvement was great!

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
My biggest issue with it is that my content, the content I already OWN, is hidden away under the "My Computer" section. I don't understand how this is not a bigger issue.

I get they want to hype their iTunes sales but leave it as an "iTunes" button and make the content we already own the focus point of the UI. That is the part of the new UI that absolutely infuriates me. I use the Apple TV because I want an easy, relatively cheap way to wirelessly stream my content on my network to the TV and have a device that is 100% compatible with all the other Apple products. If I see a "Movies" icon on the main screen that icon sure as hell better take me to a listing of MY Movies that I already own. I'm not going to repurchase a film or entire television series that I already own and have ripped at a higher quality to my networked storage.

If this is Apple's new direction then I'm bailing for Linux and getting a Zotac Zbox or any number of other units whose focus is on MY CONTENT.

I can tolerate them wanting to shill their iTunes crap to an extent. When they start slamming it in your face with an endless array of icons and essentially disguise any content you haven't purchased directly from them then it is too aggressive and borderline hostile.

Then there's the idiotic tile array, practically invisible outline denoting what you've selected, undeletable icons for useless crap that many people in many markets don't even care about or can't use (NHL, NBA, Netflix, etc)

They let the marketing team give input to the software department and that's where it went all tits up.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
My biggest issue with it is that my content, the content I already OWN, is hidden away under the "My Computer" section. I don't understand how this is not a bigger issue.
I guess a lot of us already got used to that because ATV2 was the same. It makes slightly more sense when you have more than one device/library in there to share from, but not much.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
New UI is better. All they did was take the lists and scrolling down lists and replace it with icons.

I like it better because stuff isn't buried.

But what they need to do is let you rearrange the icons however you want.

atandon

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
After a couple of weeks of using it, I am starting to like it.
I think all they need to do is tone down the color on some of the icons.
Right now its just too bright and colorful.
Keep the same colors. Just tone them down.
And introduce additional views (like poster view). The list view does not scale for big movie collections

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
After a couple of weeks of using it, I am starting to like it.
I think all they need to do is tone down the color on some of the icons.
Right now its just too bright and colorful.
Keep the same colors. Just tone them down.
And introduce additional views (like poster view). The list view does not scale for big movie collections

Traitor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.