Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hi all,

We just turned on a new mobile theme for the MacRumors forums.

The goal is to phase out our /wap/ site that we've used for mobile. The new theme will consolidate the forums around the same urls, rather than having separate mobile and non-mobile links for threads.

The site should detect if you are on a mobile device or not and show the correct format. If you want to switch formats, simply click on the link at the very bottom of the page (Mobile Version or Full Site) and you can switch between them.

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
some screenshots

Attachments

• photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    115.9 KB · Views: 126
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    99.6 KB · Views: 161
  • photo 3.PNG
    photo 3.PNG
    113.7 KB · Views: 119
  • photo 4.PNG
    photo 4.PNG
    126.6 KB · Views: 113

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
a tip: if you find you can't do something on the mobile site that you can on the full site, if you click on the Full Site link at the bottom, it will switch you and preserve the url that you are on.

So you can easily switch back and forth as needed.

The mobile theme does support a lot of the common features. Subscribed threads is probably the biggest omission at the moment.

arn

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Will youtube videos be enabled on the new version? This is a big improvement over the old mobile site.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
It's great. Fast too on my aging 3GS. The previous mobile version felt so messy in comparison.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Oh that's interesting, it appears to be working in some places but not others.

gimme a link where it's not working, and I can look into it.

arn

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
They looks superb Arn and as thejadedmonkey posted above, they fit in well with WP7 handsets too (can't show a screenshot of that one).

The only thing I've noticed so far is that ads are not showing on Internet Explorer on my Titan (they work fine on my GN, I've just scrolled up a little in the screenshot below so it is off screen - you guys deserve your ad revenue IMO).

Any other issues I'll be sure to feed back. I can see myself using the WiForums a lot less now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-04-05-06-21-00.png
    Screenshot_2012-04-05-06-21-00.png
    150.1 KB · Views: 101

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
I'm really REALLY liking the new theme arn.
Much simpler interface. Nice colours too!

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
a tip: if you find you can't do something on the mobile site that you can on the full site, if you click on the Full Site link at the bottom, it will switch you and preserve the url that you are on.

So you can easily switch back and forth as needed.

The mobile theme does support a lot of the common features. Subscribed threads is probably the biggest omission at the moment.

arn

Is subscribed threads support coming? I am finding the lack of extremely reducing the effectiveness of the new theme. Apart from that it's great, especially mobile forum spy.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
thanks, arn. the mobile site looks great. it's one of the few sites i don't mind browsing the mobile version of.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Is subscribed threads support coming? I am finding the lack of extremely reducing the effectiveness of the new theme. Apart from that it's great, especially mobile forum spy.

I just added subscription list to the menu in the top right. You can just see a list of all your subscriptions at the moment.

arn

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Incredible! Don't think I've ever seen a mobile forum implementation done so well and slick. If webdevs had done this a year or two ago, would be no reason for Tapatalk!

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
nice - I like it, pity there's no "new posts" link - would be cool it that came back (or have I missed it?)

----------

Oh that's interesting, it appears to be working in some places but not others.

Ahhh - CSS magic to maximise the embed to 300px, I was missing that on my own mobile website.
Youtube videos can now go back into my content.
Sweet!

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Absolutely loving the small screen update. Now everything fits nicely on in portrait.

Two things though:

'Thread starter' is missing, and
On MR Spy, the font is too big on retina/high res screens. You have to scroll a lot more to get to the bottom. Should have an option to decrease the size or something would work nicely for everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.